Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Budgates, yes I still would have purchased the jib because the spinnaker does not point well and needs to be put away when winds reach about 10mph. At 10mph, I raise the jib. The spinnaker points up to about 70 degrees off the wind. The jib about 50. The main about 45. Guessing with all theset numbers.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

vetgam wrote:
Budgates, yes I still would have purchased the jib because the spinnaker does not point well and needs to be put away when winds reach about 10mph. At 10mph, I raise the jib. The spinnaker points up to about 70 degrees off the wind. The jib about 50. The main about 45. Guessing with all theset numbers.

Thank you Greg. That is exactly the information that I was looking for. I just got off the phone with the local Hobie dealer and he'll be sending me a final invoice for my new boat. I'm getting excited!!!

2018 Tandem Island -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Beyond pointing, the other reason to want to use a jib vs spinnaker is that the jib does not obstruct visability like the spinnaker does. The jib is makes for relaxed sailing. You can control the balance of the boat by triming the main sail and continuing to fly the jib in winds into the high teens.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

vetgam wrote:
Beyond pointing, the other reason to want to use a jib vs spinnaker is that the jib does not obstruct visability like the spinnaker does. The jib is makes for relaxed sailing. You can control the balance of the boat by triming the main sail and continuing to fly the jib in winds into the high teens.

Both very good reasons. I never liked using my 150 genoa on our 26' boat because I couldn't see where I was going. It wasn't easy to swap head-sails solo so eventually I just left the 150 in the garage and just used the 110.

2018 Tandem Island -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

stringy wrote:
I fitted the TI spinnaker about two months ago and have done 7 trips with about 20 hours spinnaker use.
I have to say I'm very impressed with this accessory! The difference it makes to downwind sailing in light winds is amazing. It completes the boat by strengthening what was a weak area in Island sailing -downwind with a boomless main.
It gives a noticeable performance increase and is fun to sail with. There is something very satisfying when it fills with wind and you feel the speed boost.
I fitted the kit as per the instructions and have had no tangling issues. I did trim the battens and used a standup pulley on the aka for the halyard exiting the snuffer bag.
I also drilled out the mast topper wind vane post hole slightly so my Windward wind indicator fitted:
I had been worried that the haka might cause snags and I did have some early issues with the sail getting caught between the haka and the snuffer bag. A length of webbing in a figure 8 tying the haka to the snuffer bag mouth fixed that.
I did have trouble with the top batten hitting the halyard with the main fully out. It didn't ever get jammed but was annoying when gybing as it would deform the top part of the sail.
Furling the main to the tell tale window fixed that.
This has become one of my must have accessories, along with haka and outboard, that 'complete' the overall Island package making for a very capable and versatile craft.
Some video with apologies for the one handed gybes and shakes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cArdidhWSE

Stringy, i have watched this video a dozen times and have read many of your posts, thank you for all the great info. I am currently in the process of installing hakas and am trying to determine the best placement without interfering with the spinnaker. It looks like you placed your spinnaker chute as far outside as possible and then the haka right next to it. In this post you mentioned webbing, would you explain that further or do you happen to have any old photos of what you did there? I also considered mounting the hakas over the top of the spinnaker bag but i am thinking that it would cause damage to the sail when deploying as it would likely rub on the end of the haka. The hakas i am working with are the plastic spine board type.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Fluxberkman,
Yes you are correct, the spinnaker chute is placed as far out on the aka as possible (on outside edge of trampoline) and the haka sit next to it. My haka at around a foot wide were narrower than your spineboard.
The webbing I mentioned was just a length of 1” webbing around 5’ long with a quick release buckle. I’d wrap it on the outside of the chute, around the aka, go over/under the chute and figure 8 cross it over in the gap between the haka/chute. Then over/under the haka and around the aka on the inside of the haka and join. This prevented the spin/sheets from getting caught in the gap between the haka and chute.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22