Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mingle wrote:
A really neat job with the mounting...

The only comment I would make is that you may want to see if you can squeeze some theaded screws & nuts
in there to hold that top plate, rather than relying on self-tappers.

Great work!

Mike.

Thanks Mike. I hear you about the screws. It feels very secure, but I'd prefer nuts and bolts too. I just don't think there's enough clearance. I could make a couple plastic backing plates to slide in and screw into. At least there'd be more purchase.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very nice mount, scc, and cool bluetooth sparfly. I'm interested in how this works for you.

Right now, I have a 1" pvc end cap with a sparfly that I slide onto the masthead. I'll add a thumbscrew eventually.

I've been using TheFastTrack android app, but haven't taken the time to really figure out what it can do. I'm hoping to find something that would allow me to enter a target location, then determine the best headings to take, optimizing the trade off of speed vs progress towards the mark. I need to mount my phone (Note3 in Seidio WaterProof Case) to the TI, but as others have noted, if water hits the touchscreen, it's a problem.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just received word that SailTimer have a forthcoming update to their Wind Instrument and are offering a Pre-Holiday sale price of $349.99 (regularly $449.99).

http://us5.campaign-archive2.com/?u=3b35304600fdfa13455e1e6da&id=950b5b5009&e=5876621b89

From SailTimer:

The new version for 2016 is available for ordering now has some impressive new features and improvements:
● The tail has been re-engineered to be amazingly thin and more aerodynamic, reducing the thickness of the solar panels by 40% and getting the thickness on the rest of the trailing edge down to just 3.5 mm (0.138").
● New submersible off-switch for storage, with an LED light to indicate when it turns on.
● Arrives with battery charged and ready to use.
● Tail is 3/4” (19 mm) taller for more sensitive wind direction in very light winds.
● More precise digital compass.
● Main electronics and battery moved to the leading edge of the tail, to create more of an airfoil shape with a fine trailing edge.
● New black & white design. White circuit board and battery in the new version reflects sunlight and minimizes heat better than the previous dark colors. (The photo above shows a prototype with the previous colors.) The wind cups in the new version are black for better UV resistance.
● Improved antenna arrangement to give longer transmission distances for tall masts and keel boats.
● Advanced encapsulation technology on tail reduces weight with very thin, smooth surface.

The new power management features will be a particular benefit for those kayak sailors that aren't able to keep the device charging in the sun between outings.

Also, I've learned that SailTimer is about to announce new capabilities enabling the use of the Wind Instrument as a “connected device”, for real-time wind maps. This would mean that multiple nearby Wind Instruments feeding data to the SailTimer app could create a much more granular picture of wind conditions than is currently available to most of us.

Haven't had much time or the conditions to compel me to sail recently. Will post back with any new information or experiences with the device.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

scc wrote:
SNIP

Keith and tonystott: I didn't start this post to promote this product. Thus, I don't feel I need to defend it or provide documentation on how it functions. I have never stated that it is better than any other device - only different. As I stated, I have very little experience with it. I'll post my experiences and hope that it lives up to what it promises. Maybe other folks on the forum will appreciate the information.

Please don't be discouraged by my apparently cynical comments. I am a "gadget man" from way back, and anm interested in stuff like the Sailtimer, (and the Fast Track app posted here too).

However, I tend to believe that pursuing highly sophisticated instrumention seems at odds with Hobie's Islands' unique "SUV on water" capabilities.

I first considered this when the local sailing club offered to add a class to their competition program, and I quickly realised that in a competitive environment, either the pedals would need to be removed, or every race would simply be a walkover for an excellent cyclist, who could drastically reduce tacking angles and increase water speed. So competition and Islands seems to be an oxymoron . Hence I tend to see accurate (but complex) wind instrumentation as part of this. A mast-top wind arrow is as much sophistication as I would ever want in my own TI.

Having said that, I have downloaded the Fast Track app to play with, and I have enjoyed night navigation using the broad-brush chart plotting capability of my fish finder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

tonystott wrote:
However, I tend to believe that pursuing highly sophisticated instrumention seems at odds with Hobie's Islands' unique "SUV on water" capabilities.

I don't follow your logic. How does highly sophisticated instrumentation detract in any way from the Islands' capabilities?

tonystott wrote:
I quickly realised that in a competitive environment, either the pedals would need to be removed, or every race would simply be a walkover for an excellent cyclist, who could drastically reduce tacking angles and increase water speed. So competition and Islands seems to be an oxymoron .

Perhaps there could be two divisions, one with pedals and one without.

tonystott wrote:
Hence I tend to see accurate (but complex) wind instrumentation as part of this. A mast-top wind arrow is as much sophistication as I would ever want in my own TI.

Again, I don't make the connection between accurate wind instrumentation and competition. Every cruising boat I've skippered or crewed has had a the same instrumentation and no racing was involved.

tonystott wrote:
Having said that, I have downloaded the Fast Track app to play with, and I have enjoyed night navigation using the broad-brush chart plotting capability of my fish finder

If you're saying that you're a purist and prefer the simplicity of a masthead wind arrow, that's fine. But, let's not kid ourselves into believing that the Islands are simple, unsophisticated boats because, in the world of boats, they are most certainly not.

One of the great things about this forum is that there are so many ideas and variations on how to rig and use these boats. Another great thing is the acceptance with which these ideas are usually met.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone know of the masthead wind arrow works when the mast is flexed when the sail is close hauled in stiff winds.

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone know of the masthead wind arrow works when the mast is flexed when the sail is close hauled in stiff winds.

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jftringali wrote:

Joe

I posed this question to SailTimer support. Their response: "The wind direction from the 3D motion unit in the SailTimer Wind Instrument is tilt-resistant. It is designed to work on a heeling sailboat, which is kind of similar to the mast flexing that you are referring to."

I also learned that the 3D motion unit is capable of recording tilt/pitch data which is interesting. Anyone know of any practical use for these data?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jftringali wrote:

Joe
In a word "yes" Joe. The bearings in a masthead wind indicator arrow are free enough t work fine no matter the mast angle (heck, it even spins freely when am taking the mast down! :D )

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi SCC.

I was wondering how you were getting on with the sailtimer? I have been having a look around for wind speed/ direction units for my Hobie ti and found your post.

I have a Lowrance elite ti 5 and was wondering if they would be compatible with the "server" that they have produced.

Thanks for your info so far- good to see new tech( lol 2015) being used on these watercraft.

Best,

Max

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

XamaX wrote:
Hi SCC.

I was wondering how you were getting on with the sailtimer? I have been having a look around for wind speed/ direction units for my Hobie ti and found your post.

I have a Lowrance elite ti 5 and was wondering if they would be compatible with the "server" that they have produced.

Thanks for your info so far- good to see new tech( lol 2015) being used on these watercraft.

Best,

Max

Unfortunately, the SailTimer project has been a bust. I realized I was taking a chance on a newish product from a small manufacturer. Initially, my dealings with the owner were good, but as time went on, he seemed to forget that I was an early supporter. Actually, I didn't expect to get better than good customer service, but I started receiving terse responses verging on rudeness. I did receive a discount on the hardware early on, but I also waited for two years for the mini server to be delivered. The ETAs for every device I'd been promised were continually delayed. At one point, I requested a refund on the mini server after having waited about 1.5 years and was denied. The first mini server I received was defective and required a couple months to be resolved. In that two year period, the wind instrument was upgraded a couple times and I was given an updated model since I hadn't been able to use the original one without the mini server. Bluetooth connection to both devices is cumbersome and sometimes impossible if there are other bluetooth devices nearby. Interfacing the mini server with a chart plotter? You're on your own. Break a wind cup? $50.

I did get wind speed to display on the chart plotter, but wind direction never worked for me.

Nice concept.

Dismal execution and customer support.

One of my projects before launching this season is to extract the mess of wiring from my TI. Tail between my legs, I'll be looking for a simple direction indicator.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for your timely and sincere response.

Shame that it ended the way it did. I can imagine that it seemed like quite a innovative and feasible project to support at the beginning...

Well, until something light, portable, robust and hardy turn up on the market (dont ask much do we?) I will stick with the old "wet finger in the air" system.

Can I ask if you have had any sucessess with any other on board tech that you are proud of? I love geeky gizmos and always have an eye on this forum to see what additions and modifications to these ace water craft the members have come up with...

Thank you again to everyone who has contributed to this forum in this respect- you have undoubtedly saved me a tonne of bother and £££

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

XamaX wrote:
Thank you for your timely and sincere response.

Shame that it ended the way it did. I can imagine that it seemed like quite a innovative and feasible project to support at the beginning...

Well, until something light, portable, robust and hardy turn up on the market (dont ask much do we?) I will stick with the old "wet finger in the air" system.

Can I ask if you have had any sucessess with any other on board tech that you are proud of? I love geeky gizmos and always have an eye on this forum to see what additions and modifications to these ace water craft the members have come up with...

Thank you again to everyone who has contributed to this forum in this respect- you have undoubtedly saved me a tonne of bother and £££

:lol:

I appreciate your response! I'm very happy with the rest of my gizmos.

My Garmin 527xs with sonar/depth finder has been flawless.

I also love the Digital Yacht AIS receiver that interfaces with the chart plotter. I've posted on it here https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=57886

Of course, more power is needed for all this gadgetry: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=59124

Best of luck!