Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just received the 180 turbo drive that I ordered for my new compass, are there more than one current version?
The unit I received doesn't look like the unit on the outback or PA. Mine has the adjuster on the lower shaft instead of at the top.
Mine also does not have mirage drive 180 written on it.

Thanks
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That sir is the V1, aka version 1. The newer design is the V2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:20 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Or perhaps not?
V-1

V-2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Mine looks like the lower picture with the clevis pin.

What I was referring to is the adjuster for leg length.

Thanks
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:47 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

You have the latest version. The current adjustment is at the bottom of the "mast" -- that is a characteristic of the "V-2". My recommendation is to keep it retracted for best performance. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The compass I rented this past week, which has the V1 drive I believe? also had the leg length adjuster on the bottom of the mast. The Oasis from a few weeks ago had the button on top. I would think a big determining factor would be if it had the reverse option? Roadrunner, I am confused what you mean by leaving it retracted?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:37 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

vereinig wrote:
The compass I rented this past week, which has the V1 drive I believe? also had the leg length adjuster on the bottom of the mast. The Oasis from a few weeks ago had the button on top. I would think a big determining factor would be if it had the reverse option? Roadrunner, I am confused what you mean by leaving it retracted?
This appears to be just a matter of nomenclature.

A mast is the steel rod that supports the fin. It got its name from the first Mirage Drives when fins were called sails, and attached at the clew outhauls along the axis of the boom. You can see the Hobie sailing heritage here.

The MD 180 "V-2" mast has a screw at the bottom that can be used to vary the length of the mast. The more you screw it out, the longer the mast, and the less twist is possible for the fin. When the fin twists less, a smaller amount of water is vectored out the back at most speeds (but more out the side), so it is not as efficient for most users. As this screw is lengthened you would notice the fins having increasingly more resistance, but without a comparable improvement in speed. At speeds greater than 5 MPH though, it may be appropriate for the fins to flex less due to the higher water speeds -- thus the adjustment.

Crank arms are attached to the pedals and have an adjustments to change the pedal position. Your Compass has a standard crank arm, but your Oasis has the new ARC crank arms that adjust the pedal position with a button on top rather than the squeeze handle on the side. The newest MD 180 Drives are "V-2" and come with the ARC crank arms; earlier "V-2"s and "V-1"s have the straight crank arms.

One of the great features about the Mirage Drive in its various versions is its adaptability to different users and different applications! Learning how to set up your Drive optimally is important if you want to get the most out of it.8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the very informative post Roadrunner! That part makes sense now and I learned a good amount.
I'll let fiddlefadel respond on his own if he needs more info, I was indeed confused by nomenclature and am still thinking he might have been talking about the above deck portion when he said "What I was referring to is the adjuster for leg length."
Anyhow, it certainly is a great innovation, I was really pleased with the performance.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner
My new 180 turbo drive which I just received has the squeeze handle on the side not the push button on the top, hence my original post. Are there 2 current models or did hobie just send out an older model?

I bought the drive separately it was not included with a kayak.

Thanks
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fiddlefadel wrote:
Roadrunner
My new 180 turbo drive which I just received has the squeeze handle on the side not the push button on the top, hence my original post. Are there 2 current models or did hobie just send out an older model?

I bought the drive separately it was not included with a kayak.

Thanks
Dave

The MD180 drives with the button on top are referred to as the "ARC" drives. Last year's introductory regular model was the V-1. Hobie updated the regular MD180 to the V-2. Not sure if Hobie is offering the "Arc" drive for individual purchases. The "Arc" drives are better suited for use by rentals and groups needing to have an easier/quicker adjustment for multiple people using the drive.

Someone with Hobie feel free to correct me if I am wrong. :wink:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Arc cranks are only available with with the purchase of a 2018 model Mirage kayak complete. They are not available for sale through parts yet - that will hopefully become possible later this summer, around Fall when the following model year kayaks are launched.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What advantage does the ARC have?

Thanks
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fiddlefadel wrote:
What advantage does the ARC have?

Thanks
Dave

There is a button on the top of each pedal shaft to depress to adjust the pedals for the individual versus the squeeze mechanism on each shaft that has been around for years.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass