Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 35

10:16 AM

Bacon is portaging around the "Big Shoals" area of the Suwanee River not far from White Springs, FL. This is Bacon's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Bacon-2018-Ultimate-Florida-Challenge-180579572697680/

This is Bacon's rig as he did the 40-mile portage:

Hiawashe has not moved this morning.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 36

8:48 PM

Bacon has put up for the night on the Suwanee River between Jasper to the north and Live Oak to the south.

Hiawashe has reached St George--the starting point for the 40-mile portage to Fargo, GA, where she will pick up the Suwanee River. Hopefully she will get rested up well tonight.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The following was posted on Bacon's Facebook page about 16 hours ago https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=211683466253957&id=180579572697680

Quote:
So today. Let’s see how I can describe my morning. I woke, very nervous about making sure I saw the takeout at Big Shoals. FYI no more signs or crashed sunk boat at the takeout. For those of you who aren’t familiar, Big Shoals is the only Class III rapid in Florida. It’s not particular tough but the rocks are very sharp and have eaten many boats and hurt some unlucky people. Ie Even I’m smart enough to know it to chance my race with attempting this. (Wow am I finally growing up) So after a couple hours of very anxious paddling I start to hear Big Shoals. Eventually get to the takeout and am relieved I didn’t miss it! Very proud of myself I unpack part of my gear, haul my boat up the incline, put it on the cart, repack it and start the 3/4 of a mile or so portage. My goal, under 30 minutes. I get all of 200’ into it when I realize there are trees blocking the portage road. I leave the boat to investigate further. Clearly the portage must be intact I tell myself. I’m not the first fool to come through here since the hurricane. Well probably the first fool with a battleship, I mean Kruger. So I search and search. The only thing I can locate is a half-a&@ trail leading at a step incline from the lookout down near the shoals and the partially back up before more large trees block it. That certainly was not going to work. I go back and walk through the woods and begin looking for a way through. After about 10 minutes and lots of dead-ends I begin to contemplate running the shoals. I look at them again, and with the low water they look even worse than normal with lots of exposed rocks. So back to searching. After another 10-15 minutes I have a plan in place. I WILL NOT BE BEATEN.. I tell myself. I dig out my shovel/hatchet and get to work. I slowly hack a path through the first thicket of palmetto palms and some other type of small trees. Just enough to squeeze my boat through. Then a short distance later another thicket and then the third with its 90 degree turn at the end to get back on the original trail. There off the cart goes the boat to slide under a downed pine. Back on the cart on the other side and off we go. The “culvert” area is washed out more than usual and seems a bit more damaged, but I was able to pull right over it. The rest of the portage went pretty smooth. I’m finally back in my boat two hours after I started. Bleeding, exhausted and way way behind schedule. I just start to paddle and get settled in, when I hear a woman yell, “Hey, lookout!” I don’t see anyone around, again, “You better watch out!!” I look up and from up on the top of the bank on a trail a woman is intently watching the water with her camera pointed in my direction. She then yells, “There is about a 14-15 foot Gator right in front of you!!!” WHAT!!! I look and see nothing, I look back at her and she says he just went under, “He is HUGE!” Great I think, I just put my shovel/hatchet away, now is when I really need it. I slap the water a couple times with my paddle and double time it out of there! I never saw the gator, and doubt he was that big, but I don’t want to find out either. I’m sure if Jarhead was around he would have dove in and got himself a new outfit out of the gator.. boots, jacket, belt and hat.. but that’s what you get from a man who chooses MRE’s over steak! Anyway I digress... so after Big Shoals is four smaller rapids that were fairly uneventful.. by fairly uneventful I mean that they each took a year off my life and added a hundred more grey hairs.. but I stayed upright. FYI I am a sailor not a paddler and certainly not a “rapids” paddler! To put things in perspective I later ran into a guy in a completely open canoe. He said he ran the shoals the day before. I asked, “Big Shoals” surely he must mean Little Shoals. He replied yes Big Shoals and “I’m from Virginia, that’s a ripple compared to what I’m used to.” Well then, don’t I feel pretty silly... also the little shoals are not things I was worried about maiming me or anything, more the thought of flipping the boat, gear everywhere, catching a rock wrong and breaking a bone. In the summer I would tube down these things in a bathing suit, without a second thought.

I didn’t make nearly the mileage I wanted today, only 40 miles but that also takes into account two hours for my portage. I’m really hoping for the current to pickup tomorrow and a good strong day out of me!

So here are a series of pictures from my day start to finish.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 37

12:40 PM

Bacon, after getting around Florida's only Class 3 rapid (Big Shoal on Suwanee River) has made good time today, and he is about a mile north of Interstate 10 on the Suwanee River.

Hiawashe has begun her 40-mile portage from St George to Fargo, GA. She is about 7 miles into it.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 38

3:30 PM

Bacon is on the Suwanee River and making great progress. He is about 90 miles via the Suwanee from the confluence with the Gulf of Mexico.

Hiawashe is 11 miles into her 40-mile portage from St George to Fargo, GA.

You have to be so impressed with the determination of Hiawashe and Bacon...absolutely amazing!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 39

10:45 PM

Bacon has stopped for the night about 13 miles upriver from Branford, FL.

Hiawashe is 20 miles into her 40-mile portage from St George to Fargo, GA. She may still be moving. Perhaps the night coolness is part of her motivation.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 40

11:14 AM

Bacon posted yesterday on his Facebook page that he could not travel at night because of obstacles in the river. He is currently 3 miles south of Branford on the Suwanee.

Hiawashe is moving on the 40-mile portage.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 41

10:20 PM

Bacon has stopped on the Suwanee River about 2 miles west of Fanning Springs. Tomorrow he will reach the confluence of the Suwanee with the Gulf of Mexico.

Hiawashe is camped near Fargo Ga near the Suwanee River. She is done with the 40-mile portage. Wonderful!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 42

10:29 AM

Bacon is about 25 miles from reaching the Gulf of Mexico.

Hiawashe is on the move about 2 miles from the Florida border on the Suwanee River.

It looks like they both got on going early this morning. Very impressive.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 43

10:17 PM

Bacon is in Cedar Key on the beach between 3rd and 4th Streets. In case you don't know, Cedar Key is about 20 mi south of the confluence of the Suwanee River/Gulf of Mexico. Great day!

Hiawashe, WOW, what a day she has had. Starting on the Suwanee River in Fargo GA, she made it down and through the "Big Shoals" and all the way to White Springs, FL.

I think these two can smell the finish line. Amazing!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 44

11:17 AM

Bacon is 4 miles east of Cedar Key in open water; but, he hasn't been moving in the last 20 min or so. He has about 110 miles to the finish in Ft Desoto.

Hiawashe, of course, she is on the move. She has put on about 9 miles on the Suwanee River in what will like be a 40 mile day. Good for her!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 45

11:02 PM

Bacon stopped on a spoil island about 8 miles SW of Inglis, FL. Between him and Inglis is a nuclear power plant. Probably need eye shades tonight. He has about 100 miles of coastline sailing to the finish.

Hiawashe has stopped in a non-descript area of the Swanee River about 8 miles ESE of Lee, FL. Another excellent day. This woman is tough!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 46

10:27 AM

Bacon is moving down the coast and is off Homosassa Springs, FL. He is 80 miles from the finish.

Hiawashe is moving on the Suwanee a mile NW of Dowling Park, FL.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 47

11:06 PM

Bacon is near Clearwater Beach and only about 30 miles from the finish. As of about 11:30 PM, Bacon still seems to be moving. Is he planning to finish tonight? 12:30 AM Update Bacon is only about 20 miles from the finish. Looks like he might finish a few hours from now, around 3-4 AM.

Hiawashe is in Branford FL. Slightly south of town actually. Smartly stopped for the night.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 48

9:49 AM

Bacon did not finish last night. Good for him. He has about 20 miles to the finish and all it entails (marching bands, news people, etc.)

Hiawashe is already 10 miles south of Branford where she spent the night. This lady is determined!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next