Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So I have narrowed down my choice between a 2017 camo Outback or the 2018 Papaya Orange Outback. They are both same price but the camo of course has the upgraded rudder and turbo fins. Is it better to go with the camo or the 2018 model and add fins and rudder after? The resale of the 2018 should be better and I really like the idea of higher visibility of the orange color on the water. Is there any other advantages of the camo model that I may be missing? Dont know why Im having such a tough decision...lol.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had a ‘15 yellow PA and a ‘17 camo version. I like the camo a lot better mostly because it was easier on the eyes though an outback is a lot less plastic.

I don’t think the 17 gives up any significant new features to the 18 either.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello and just saying,
I’ve owned three new Outbacks. 2008 first, currently 2015. My favorite colors are blue and orange. Always considered other colors but always chose olive drab. Not one time have I been out in my Outbacks and thought I should have purchased a different color. If I purchase another Outback, I’ll likely get the camouflage.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you're concerned about safety, go with papaya or some other bright color, because it's way more visible at a distance. If you watch groups of kayaks at a distance, at some point you can barely see kayaks with colors like dune, slate blue, and camo, but the yellow and orange kayaks are clearly visible. If you aren't concerned about safety, choose whatever color appeals to your sense of aesthetics or style.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

pmmpete wrote:
If you're concerned about safety, go with papaya or some other bright color, because it's way more visible at a distance. If you watch groups of kayaks at a distance, at some point you can barely see kayaks with colors like dune, slate blue, and camo, but the yellow and orange kayaks are clearly visible. If you aren't concerned about safety, choose whatever color appeals to your sense of aesthetics or style.

Co-sign

All of my Hobie yaks have been papaya for visibility reasons.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I decided to go with the 2018 Papaya Orange. Its newer and has the buttons on top of pedals for less fishing line to snag on and should be safer on water with orange color. Thru it in the pool this afternoon redneck style to see how stable it is. Its a lot more stable that my Tandem Island was without the amas. Think Im going to love this thing!