Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Guys,

Since we have had her for a year now in all kinds of uses/places we feel like we have given it enough time to figure out what modifications we want. I'd like to know what you experienced Island owners opinions are of what's the latest and greatest or tried-and-true of these three mods.

1) Aft cockpit seat conversion to chair. This one I used the search button to no avail. I am finding chair conversions on other Hobie kayaks but we are sailors who got a TI, not kayakers who got a TI so I am not 100% which of those kayak chair mods would be compatible. Have any links or personal experience, please?

We actually feel we got the best TI they made, 2014. Very happy we didn't go with the heavier hull and Vantage seats because I would never want one in the fwd cockpit. Now the aft is a different story. My hubs is 250# and 6'2". He is tired of being so wet back there. He says a lot of it is coming from the handles (we are going to try stuffing a big sponge in it to see how that goes). He is very handy, especially with boats (having done too many refits to count) so he has some ideas of adding a beach chair (want it light and arms that when you lift up allow a recline). Anybody have a blog or vlog link for one you did or liked?

2) H-bar. What are your favorite ones you have seen or done? Thinking maybe we could mount something to the aft chair?

3) Barber hauler. So far my favorite looking and least amount of effort/materials is the one with the bar bolted thru the aka here
https://goo.gl/images/HrPQXi

Or this one (not as sleek looking tho) https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=49423
Not a lot of comments about it. One concern is if it becomes flimsy in heavy weather (gusts over 20 kts)? However, from what I can tell it looks like you can unhook the sheet by hand instead of needing a boat hook type device (such as notching the kayak paddle)?

Thanks for your feedback!

SailorV

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Re: 1) this guy posted a great diy beach chair mod. His is for an Outback. See any reason why this won't fly with a TI hull?
https://youtu.be/zrbIuApCy0U

P.S. - The pool test cracks me up! Haha!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can’t help with the H-Bar or the barber hauler (used to use a boat hook but since fitting the spinnaker it is rarely needed) but re the splashing- these worked so well on my Adventure that I added them to the TI as well.
It’s just some 3/4 pipe poly pipe with pipe insulation foam to fit.

On the TI you need to add some bungee (which is easily done using the handle mounts) and some bungee buttons self tapped to the hull. We’ve since added a shade cloth ‘sock’ for durability. It has virtually eliminated handle splashing from all but the biggest waves. The handles can still be used but the pipe is easily removed if needed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That's awesome Stringy and thank you for going to the trouble if uploading the piccy's too!
So I take it the water will flow thru the pvc, sorta weighting it down and giving a way for it to pass without splashing?

We made a tiller extension that if we are sailing together he can steer with the handle and manage the pole out with it while I lounge on the tramp/aka bar. But a hauler would be better imo at least for solo trips.

Also, I think I saw somewhere you converted your TI to the CT seats. Was this because even with your splash guard pipes you were still sitting in too much water?

Thanks,
SV

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sailorv wrote:
So I take it the water will flow thru the pvc, sorta weighting it down and giving a way for it to pass without splashing?

Also, I think I saw somewhere you converted your TI to the CT seats. Was this because even with your splash guard pipes you were still sitting in too much water?

Hi Sv,
You can see how the handles funnel water straight into the seat well by looking closely at this slomo clip. Some water will be caught by the pipes as it runs along the gunwale but most splashing comes up through the handle indentations and this is stopped by the foam. That’s why Hobie removed the handles in all island ‘15+ upgrades. They tried a fix (a foam handle plug) but it was never released as they decided to drop the handles instead.

I should add that this is actually a mod of a mod that Slaughter initially posted here:
https://www.hobie.com/au/en/forums/view ... 8&p=142453.
It worked well but when I got my ‘14 Adventure I felt it was time to improve it as over time the foam distorts. The pipe prevents this. What amazes me is that there are few complaints from kayakers as Hobie kept the handles on the kayaks and the problem remains.
I only recently added the pipes to the TI but should have done it before. The CT seat mod is one of the best improvements I’ve made to the TI as you no longer sit in a puddle. My CT seats sit much higher than Hobie’s. If you go with a beach seat you will get the same improvement ...and gain extra storage space under the seat!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Stringy. Yes, good video to show what's happening. So that's why the new Hobies don't have the handles. What are new owners using to maneuver the kayak alone on the beach or wherever? Sometimes we carry each piece individually so I know we would have issue with no handles.

Okay, it looks like your mod is the winner! ;) thanks for sharing it, once we get done with it I'll have to check back.