Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All

Working out whether I should buy a 2018 Hobie Outback, or wait for the release of the 2019 model?

I understand the new model are announced around September and released soon after?

Do any of you know if Hobie are working on any changes for the 2019 model that I should hold out buying the 2018 model?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie keeps any changes "close to their vest" which is no different than the automobile companies.

My suggestion is to buy the 2018 or a good condition 2017 Outback and use it for a couple of years. Then decide if you "can't live without a newer model".....used Hobie's hold their resale value very well.
In the mean time, you are enjoying a really nice Outback!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Appreciate the reply. I'll keep an eye out for a 2017 model.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 2015 Outback (my third Outback). I considered this would be my last Outback. However, I think the rudder on the relatively new Compass is the same rudder that was on my PA14, which I loved. It got me to thinking. If Hobie were to install this rudder system on the Outback, I would surely get a new Outback (which I would again consider my last one).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ronrbaker wrote:
I have a 2015 Outback (my third Outback). I considered this would be my last Outback. However, I think the rudder on the relatively new Compass is the same rudder that was on my PA14, which I loved. It got me to thinking. If Hobie were to install this rudder system on the Outback, I would surely get a new Outback (which I would again consider my last one).

Just curious why you prefer the PA/Compass rudder.

As someone who spends a large percentage of my kayak time sailing, I assume that the twist and stow rudder is better for that purpose and the PA/Compass rudder is better at avoiding fouling at the cost of less maneuverability and "bite", but I don't have any time on the water in a PA/Compass. Am I missing something?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ronrbaker.....When I had my 2010 Outback, I changed out the standard rudder to the sailing rudder. This made a huge improvement since I down rigged fishing with a 4 pound ball and 5" quick fish lures.
Have you looked into the sailing rudder for your Outback?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you wait for the 2019 model, then you may find yourself at that point of purchase and then wait for the 2020 model So on and so forth. The only question you should be asking yourself is "How long do I want to wait before I start having fun?" Tomorrow isn't guaranteed. Go buy a new 2018 and start having fun.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Pollo de muerte wrote:
ronrbaker wrote:

Just curious why you prefer the PA/Compass rudder.

As someone who spends a large percentage of my kayak time sailing, I assume that the twist and stow rudder is better for that purpose and the PA/Compass rudder is better at avoiding fouling at the cost of less maneuverability and "bite", but I don't have any time on the water in a PA/Compass. Am I missing something?

I can think of no special reason for prefering the PA/Compass rudder. My three Outbacks all had sail rudders, i love the sail rudder and have no complaints. When I bought my PA14, I just liked the drop down rudder a little better. I never considered the drop down on an Outback until the Compass was released and then an epiphany hit me that the drop down could work on an Outback. For me, this would be a feature would lead me to purchase a new Outback (plus the 180 drive would be part of the package). BTW- I’ve never experienced the pleasure of sailing a Hobie.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Compass/PA rudder Pros: It's not hanging off the back and therefore less vulnerable to fishing line and rocks/pilings/etc. Also, the rudder kicks up automatically if you hit something. Cons: more vulnerable to taking a hit while loading/unloading the kayak.