Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking for suggestions for plastic material and color matching tips/tricks for soldering screw holes in my Orange Mirage Outback. I had a long H-Rail on there, but am taking it off, shortening it, and installing a Boone Dox. There are now 2 big screw holes from the H-Rail that I need to fill in. I do have a soldering iron and have seen some videos on how to patch the holes, but wanted some input on the material to use and how to try to color match. I was actually recommended from the Hobie Facebook group to reach out in the forums to see if anyone had suggestions for me. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:24 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

There are a couple of options. Hobie currently has plastic welding rod available at no charge in the various colors. It can be requested through your local dealer (who may or may not know about it). Otherwise or until then, you can just put screws in the holes with a dab of clear silicone calk to seal them (optional). This will make them look neat and keep the holes available for some possible future use!

If you're welding holes, you can use any matching plastic strip (about 1/8" across). Melt the tip with a lighter and dab it into the hole; quickly flatten it out with a putty knife or flat blade. Practice first till you get the hang of it! 8)

PS: When ordering the free welding rod, provide the year model as well as the color for best color match. The colors change slightly over the years so an exact match is not always possible. They can at least get you close to your original color.

Last edited by Roadrunner on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's the KC Plastic weld tool:

KC WELDER PRO WITH ROD STOCK