Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 49

2:31 PM

Bacon has finished (at the boat docks on Ft Desoto, FL.) 1200 miles in a small boat. 30 days 5 hours 20 minutes. Congratulations!!! Great job!!!

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 50

12:40 PM

I had a computer glitch last night, which, I'm happy to say, I've gotten straighten out today. During that time Hiawashe has completed her Suwanee River trip and is on the Gulf of Mexico. She is near Deer Island about 7 miles, as the crow flies, north of Cedar Key. I've used terms like "strong" and "determined" to describe Hiawashe. One term I didn't use was "brave." She is certainly that. The Suwanee River is infested with alligators. To paddle that after dark takes more guts than I have. Bravo to Hiawashe! And, I'm glad she is on the Gulf where she only has sharks and a few snakes to contend with.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 51

9:30 PM

Hiawashe is spending the night at the checkpoint in Cedar Key. Good for her.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 52

9:30 PM

Hiawashe is spending the night about 9 miles SW of Homosassa, FL. She did about 45 miles today. Impressive! 9:55 PM Update: Hiawashe is still moving. She has a waning Gibbous moon 78% to see.

10:50 PM Update: Hiawashe is still on the move. She has done over 50 miles today and has about 80 miles to the finish.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 53

8:10 AM

Hiawashe has already put on 12 miles today. She has about 66 miles to the finish. I think that is her goal today or perhaps tonight. Remember, she is a kayaker.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 54

11:22 PM

Hiawashe has put in along shore to the east of the southern tip of Anclote Key near Tarpon Springs, FL. She has about 40 miles to the finish. Good for her!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 55

10:16 AM

Hiawashe is on the move about 30 miles from the finish, near the causeway bridge to Honeymoon Island. Unless she decides to stay out another night, she will finish late this evening.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 56

10:16 PM

Hiawashe has finished, but I'm not sure what the story is. Maybe tomorrow.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update the Last

10:12 AM

Hiawashe has officially finished: 34 days, 11 hours, 33 minutes to paddle and portage 1200 miles around Florida. Bravo!!!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We'll be doing an expedtion trip in my TI starting on Sunday, April 22. Me and a friend are racing in the LRR Challenge down the Savannah River from Augusta, Georgia to Edisto Beach, SC. This is roughly a 230 mile event with three checkpoints. We start in Augusta at 800am on Sunday and go about 10 miles to the first CP at Augusta Lock and Dam. There is a rather lengthy portage there (we'll have our shore crew there with the trailer to help, allowed by the rules). The second CP is about 160 statute miles downriver at Millstone Landing, SC. This is just above where the river starts to get affected by tides. The third CP (not on the website yet) is at Port Royal, SC on the ICW, and the finish is at Edisto Watersports on Edisto Beach, SC. We have until Sunday, April 29 at 1pm to complete the course.

Course Map
Lowcountry River Rats, the organizers of the event, require satellite tracking for all competitors but don't have a public tracking page. For those who want to follow along with us, you can access my Spot shared page.

We aren't planning to push it too hard in this event and plan to sleep every night. My goal is ~50 miles per day on average and finish by Thursday or Friday.

I did a test run on the middle part of the Savannah river in February and found it to be wide and deep, perfect for a TI. It's sailable for sure. We did find a lot of big alligators, which will make selecting campsites interesting. A lot of the nice sandy spots where one might select to camp seemed to have gators on them already.

The weather for the first couple days isn't looking very promising, with strong E winds 10-20 mph, cool temps, and steady rain. This means headwinds on the river. W're going to have to experiment to see if it's faster to drop the rig and gut it out while pedaling or if short tacking upwind is worth it.

I don't expect much cellular access on a lot of the river, so I probably won't be able to update on this forum during the event. I'll try to write something at the end, though.

If my buddy likes this kind of racing, we'll team up again for the Everglades Challenge in 2019.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've experimented with VMG with the mast up, furled and pedaling, mast down, and pedal-sailing into headwinds of different strengths.

In winds of 1 to 3 knots, mast up or down is about the same, and pedaling directly upwind is fastest. In 4 to 10 knots and flat water, its faster to pedal-sail very high into the wind and tack, pointing so high the actual distance is well under the usual 140% or so of upwind sailing @ 40 to 45 degrees. In chop, mast-down pedaling is faster. In winds of 10 to 15 its practical to pull the pedal drive and sail with the plug in like a typical sailboat. Depending on sea state, around 17 knots it becomes fastest to pedal-sail again into the wind, and above 20 up to around 28 a highly reefed sail (near third batten) and pedaling is quite fast, but pointing is lower than low-wind pedal-sailing, closer to the usual 40-45 degrees. Without a motor, I cannot make useful VMG in above 28 knots of breeze for more than a few miles because I have to pedal very hard.

This is all solo- not sure how performance may change with a second person's weight v. added power tradeoff.

At all points of sail, just ticking over the pedals (if the drive is installed) has a surprising drag reduction / thrust component relative to the effort on a TI, so I usually lightly pedal (if the drive is installed) at all windspeeds and points of sail.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MisterMoon--we'll try to keep track of you. Good luck! (I'm typing with one hand temporarily--see below)

bluelaser2--good analysis!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

bluelaser2 wrote:
I've experimented with VMG with the mast up, furled and pedaling, mast down, and pedal-sailing into headwinds of different strengths.

In winds of 1 to 3 knots, mast up or down is about the same, and pedaling directly upwind is fastest. In 4 to 10 knots and flat water, its faster to pedal-sail very high into the wind and tack, pointing so high the actual distance is well under the usual 140% or so of upwind sailing @ 40 to 45 degrees. In chop, mast-down pedaling is faster. In winds of 10 to 15 its practical to pull the pedal drive and sail with the plug in like a typical sailboat. Depending on sea state, around 17 knots it becomes fastest to pedal-sail again into the wind, and above 20 up to around 28 a highly reefed sail (near third batten) and pedaling is quite fast, but pointing is lower than low-wind pedal-sailing, closer to the usual 40-45 degrees. Without a motor, I cannot make useful VMG in above 28 knots of breeze for more than a few miles because I have to pedal very hard.

This is all solo- not sure how performance may change with a second person's weight v. added power tradeoff.

At all points of sail, just ticking over the pedals (if the drive is installed) has a surprising drag reduction / thrust component relative to the effort on a TI, so I usually lightly pedal (if the drive is installed) at all windspeeds and points of sail.

Thanks for this. I was planning on leaving the drive well plugs at home, I think I'll bring them now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In my experience the second person helps very little if any.
We have pretty strong currents around here so without the motors and wing sails we couldn’t ever get a positive vmg, trying to get back to shore. Basically any offshore wind (wind speed didn’t matter much), if we went out offshore, we were never able to get back in.
Just the way it was, (main reason we modified our boat).
FE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FE--I don't understand what you are saying. We go "off shore" 3-4 miles and don't have a problem getting back in. Do you have different wind patterns or are you going 20 miles off shore?

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next