Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A Tiger followed me home... I have an H18 in mast-up secure storage at the lake, but will probably be swapping the Tiger into that space after I get it set up... the H18 is a fun and sturdy boat, but the F18 should be a b-l-a-s-t. I can still sail the H18 on slow days or when it is honking and I'm solo... the H18 comes off the trailer in less than an hour where the F18 takes quite a bit longer.

I'm reassembling the Tiger from an odd conglomeration of bits and pieces in the gear box, on the boat, and in separate boxes... it habn't been touched in a few years. I love a project, and there's lots of documentation online, so I jumped in.
-- this boat has the STX sails and the fully-battened jib, with some non-Hobie standing rigging and quick-release shroud levers (not sure why, I can right my H18 fine solo, and the F18 has a righting pole hiding under the tramp). What's odd is that the forestay (with the doubled-back jib-top) has a lever on it, and one side shroud has a lever on it... but not both. I'm guessing that one of the levers was misassembled while off the cat, and that the forestay should have no lever, where each sidestay has a lever. With them all laid out side-by-side, the length between the marine eye and the swaged thimble is within an inch. What are the standard lengths of sidestay and forestay for a Tiger (without levers)?
-- the various sundry F18 updates diverge from stock (i.e. no furler) but most of the bits appear to be present.
-- the spin pole and mid-pole snuffer has been kept under cover but fully assembled. The hoop for the snuffer looks OK, but the bag has localized UV discoloration and I'll probably need to replace it at some point.
-- the lines stored on the boat are a little UV-crisped. The halyards will get immediate attention, and I'll probably change the rest out a little at a time, measuring the old and replacing with new.
-- interesting spare part 1: a spare set of spreaders (seems an odd spare to stock?)
-- interesting spare part 2: a spare traveler car -- the existing car is a little clunky when rolled under load, but dunno about replacing it.
-- I expected the one-piece gougeons to make rudder pin insertion a snap... but my H18 pins slide in way easier than these F18 pins do. Will they loosen up with age/use? The pins appear to be straight, but I haven't rolled them on a flat-reference plate.
-- the trailer is in surprisingly good shape. It is a galvanized Carnai missing a fender, with a broken jack/caster and the normal wonky electrics. I'll check the bearings, replace the tongue jack, and run through the wiring/lights.
-- the cover is in good shape, other than two stress/stretch tears near the shrouds. I will probably have this reinforced after I understand better what is causing the failure.

This F18 is a real step up in complexity and speed than my H18, I'm looking forward to playing with that! It is more delicate, but that's the trade-off for capability, IMHO.

Randii

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Congrats on the new boat, you're gonna love it. I came from H18s and the Tiger was definitely a nice step up, yet still manageable.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Tiger is mast-up in the driveway, and I've been playing with the old H18 on the water.
Swapping the lever adjusters to the two equal-length stays/shrouds worked fine. the lever-locks are handy, but probably not necessary.
I'm still figuring out the Tiger systems, especially the self-tacking jib... different lines than what I know.

I also have several cracked battens, and need to compare against what I have from multiple H18 sails.

Randii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello Randii,
Where are you located?

The assembly manual helps.

Have you looked at the Joseph Bennett videos on YouTube? This on relates to the Jib. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R50Dl4kA4w0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm in Sacramento and mostly sail Folsom Lake... generally with my H18 but soon also with the Tiger.

I've been driveway-sailing the Tiger and working through assembly as time permits. I have indeed found the Joyrider channel on Youtube, and I have downloaded and scanned a bunch of instructions, rigging guides, and tuning guides. I'm a documentation guy, so I love having information on hand... and honestly, I'm not sure I would have gotten the self-tacker rigged without external assistance. It makes plenty of sense NOW but was way less than intuitive setting it up the first time! The next major project is the spin setup.

Randii

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello Randii,
Let's meet up.
I did the Camillea Cup a couple weeks ago on Fulsom with the my 04 Tiger, first time I have raced the circle. This weekend I will be back in Sacramento / Roseville if you would like to meet up Saturday. Sunday I will be at Lake Natoma for a picnic and paddle (no boats).
Usually I hangout with Hobie fleet's 2 or 20, please let me know if you would like an introduction.

Have you raced before? I still have a Hobie 18 and plan to bring it to the Wet N Wild Regatta at Woodward May 19th & 20th NOR http://div3.hobieclass.com/wp-content/u ... R-2018.pdf This is probably a better event for the H18.

I will be at Black Butte for Memorial weekend preping the Tiger for the "DELTA DITCH RUN" June 2. There may be some other F18's entered in this event as well. http://www.stocktonsc.org/Delta_Ditch_Run.php

Hope to see you on the water,

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was bummed that I missed the Camelia Cup... taxes, work, and poor planning combined to nix the opportunity.
I'll drop you a mail offline to coordinate timing... I'm sure we can synch up. :)

I have been lone-wolfing around Hobies for a few years, and would like to meet some of the local fleet. I've only seen 16s at Folsom, and once a 20 in passing... but I get out late afternoon and may be missing morning sailors.

I'm in Morro Bay on the weekend of Wet n Wild...kayaks and paddleboards with the GF on her birthday. That will be fun in its own right, but I'd like to check out Woodward Reservoir soon. It just isn't that far away!

Where's Black Butte?

Randii

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Black Butte is North of Sacramento off I5 West of Orland. It's a fun sailing lake. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Black ... 122.361868

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Randii -

I'm in Sacramento and sail a Tiger as well. Like CorkGuy, I sail and have fun with Fleet 2. You should join us! NCAL sailing is alive and well. Would be fun to get 3-5 Tigers on the water at the same time...

Troy

https://hobie-fleet2.com/