Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Last week my 21SC was dismasted due to a broken forestay. Luckily one one was injured and there was no damage to the boat.

The rigging was purchased 2 months ago and installed only a month ago. I remember explicitly checking that the rigging was run smoothly and with no kinks.

I was a bit surprised by the response from the manufacturer of the rigging (well known online Hobie dealer). I will give them time to fix this situation and will not publish their name unless necessary.

What do you guys think about this forestay break? I think it looks like the thimble could have been the cause of the problem. Anyone ever seen this kind of break before?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, thats really ugly. The thimbles were not properly in place when they did the crimp but that alone would not damage the cable. I don't know what kind of material they use for the sleeves but they look like the old lead sinkers one might use for fishing, looks like it is already trying to corrode. I imagine the cable is extremely low quality as well, brittle. Does a magnet stick to it? Can't imagine what kind of grade that is, it probably wouldn't last an hour on a garage door. I would try to return them (worst case scenario, throw them in the garbage) & buy elsewhere, genuine hobie? I just went out in the garage & looked at my 1 year old hobie & the cable, thimble & crimp job shines & really looks like a masterpiece or artwork.
I am curious what others say. I hope you can get it resolved, I wish you good luck, Steve C

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well the thimbles on the other two wires don’t look like they’re properly seated (look loose). The break on the forestay looks like a clean cut that occured right at the swage. To me, that suggests that they over-crimped the wire and/or did not properly fixture the wire while crimping and they damaged the wires during the swaging. Also, what diameter is the wire? It should be 5/32” for a 21SC.

You say you purchased these from an online Hobie dealer, but are these actually Hobie manufactured stays? I suspect they are not, but if they are, they would have a one year warranty.

sm

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was under the impression that Hobie does not sell 21SC wires any more. These were manufactured by an online dealer who sells their own rigging kits.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have to agree with inferior quality wire rope, and over-crimping of the swag. The break is quite clean and one you'd see from excess corrosion at the swaging point, which clearly is not the case here.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not sure about whether or not Hobie still makes wires for the 21 SC. Since the parts (wires, thimbles, etc.) are not boat-specific, it seems like something they would still manufacture. But that's a question for M. Miller or a Hobie dealer. Otherwise, I would (and do) go to Murrays. They make quality rigging and I've used their stuff for many years.

The line about the wires needing to be sent to an independent test facility before issuing a refund seems a little bogus to me. Unless there's evidence that the customer (you) abused or misused the wires in some way, the wires are clearly defective. They can do whatever testing they want on the wires after you send them back. But that should not hold up the seller issuing you a refund or replacement.

sm

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My guess... they want to check that the failed rigging is actually the set that was bought recently.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Zach,

You should have used Don @ Salty Dog. He makes all my rigging. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Clearly the wire was not pulled up tightly against the thimble before the nicopress sleeve was compressed. The working end of the wire needed to be pulled a lot tighter so the wire would seat in the groove of the thimble. I think they pulled it snug then did not hold enough tension on it while compressing the fitting.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:26 am 
Site Admin

To be clear... the failed wire(s) shown in the image were not made by Hobie. I know you guys know that, but for others who may be reading this.

We still make the wires for 21SC, most are standard Hobie 18 lengths.

60810011 WIRE H18/21SC FSTAY UPR
60810021 WIRE H18/21SC FSTAY WHT
36822001 WIRE BRIDLE H21SC BLACK
60792001 SHROUD H18/21SC BLACK

https://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/21SCParts.pdf

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)