Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I currently have an Oasis with Hobie Sidekick amas installed behind the rear seat. I would really like to add Boondox Landing Gear as well. The take everything off and roll the kayak on its side to install cart thing is getting old. I would only use the Boonedox to get to and from the water and would not leave the wheels installed while on the water. Conversely, I have no need for the amas on land. So an ideal solution for me would be one single mount that can be used with Boondox or amas. Has anyone fashioned an adapter or made changes to accommodate using Hobie's Sidekick (or another company's) amas with the Boonedox Landing Gear mount?

Peter

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Boonedox landing gear would be a lot easier but have you considered wheels that don`t float?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think it's a great idea as looking as the boonedox tubes cam fit in the side kick bar, you're golden.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

oldyaker wrote:
Boonedox landing gear would be a lot easier but have you considered wheels that don`t float?

Much of my kayaking is off sandy beaches with light to moderate surf, sometimes alone and sometimes the two of us. I would not want to try and install or remove the cart while in the water due to surf. I use the heavy duty cart with beach tires now to transport from trailer or cottage to water and back but wheels are left onshore. I can lift and shift the back of the Oasis to remove the cart but have to lean it over on the side to insert the cart.

Just seems tilting the kayak only a little for the Boonedox would be a lot easier and if I could attach the amas to the Boonedox mount (wheels removed and amas installed before lauching, amas removed and wheels installed after beaching) I would only need one mount.

Peter

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just watched a Boonedox video and it looks like you could just insert the sidekick tube into the boonedox mount. Drill holes at 3,12,and 9-o-clock in the sidekick tube and use the thumb screw to obtain the three different height positions. (12-o-clock being the mid or level position) If needed, I found that the center post from a crutch fits inside the sidekick tube. https://imgur.com/ss5SOYb I like your idea.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Would really like to see this , I have Boonedox Landing gear on a Outback seems doable

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just looked at mine (boonedox and sidekicks) - all you would need to do is drill a hole on each side of the sidekick tubing and use a 2" T-Bolt to attach it on the top of the Boonedox.

The sidekick tubes do not fit into the Boonedox- not even close...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Reviving an old topic.

Has anyone taken this to completion? Or how about a DIY landing gear that uses the Sidekick mount?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wouldn't trust the AMA Sidekick mount (that is mounted to the kayak) to hold serving as a base for the landing gear. It's only mounted with 2 well nuts on each side. Well nuts are strong but not that strong.

Only way I see this working is installing the Boondox landing gear then figuring out a way to convert the sidekicks to slide in and out of the landing gear base.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I already had the Boonedox installed on my 2019 Revo 13 when I decided to put the Amas on so I installed them in front of the Boonedox and they work a treat. I had to modify the tube install on the Amas by cutting the the tube in half to narrow the width then I re sleeved the ama tube with a piece of aluminum tube, four pop rivets and a can of black spray pack done and dusted. And I use both the Boonedox and Amas in each time I take my Hobie.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

basslogic wrote:
I already had the Boonedox installed on my 2019 Revo 13 when I decided to put the Amas on so I installed them in front of the Boonedox and they work a treat. I had to modify the tube install on the Amas by cutting the the tube in half to narrow the width then I re sleeved the ama tube with a piece of aluminum tube, four pop rivets and a can of black spray pack done and dusted. And I use both the Boonedox and Amas in each time I take my Hobie.

Could you possibly take a photo of your setup? I would be interested in replicating it. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice work basslogic. I know pics aren't easy to post here but if you have a pic or 2 of your installs that would be great.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Sport, and I did this by cutting the mount tube in half, as it's too short anyway, and mounting the two pieces to the Boonedox knuckles.
https://youtu.be/bsGoX-cwO8o

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have both Boonedox & AMAs fitted to my 2020 Revo 13 & they are both used independently of one-another, why in the hell would you bother trying to fit the AMAs inside your Boonedox. I have cut the AMAs mounting tube down and sleeved it with aluminum tube owing to the fact the tube is to long and hung out the mounting brackets to far on my Revo, so they now finish flush with the mounts. So why would you try & re-invent the wheel, the fitting of both is not rocket science and yes it is simple to install. Even if you have the new model mountings for your landing gear.
The AMAs were fitted after I installed the landing gear so I moved the landing gear back and the AMAs are now in front just behind the seat I can reach both of them from my seat. Photos available through my email address. I have already sent out some photos to other guys who have shown interest in my method.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Redheadedsinger wrote:
I have a Sport, and I did this by cutting the mount tube in half, as it's too short anyway, and mounting the two pieces to the Boonedox knuckles.
https://youtu.be/bsGoX-cwO8o

Great job!