Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Considering an Island
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Might be a dumb question but...
Can the Island be used without the outriggers and sail? If it's a windless day, could we just kayak/pedal/paddle?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Absolutely! The Islands without the outriggers and sail are considered two of the best kayaks available.

2018 Tandem Island -

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use this configuration for cruising down rivers, it's better than any other kayak I've tried.

There is no question that the Hobie TI is one of the world's best kayaks if not the best.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pro10is wrote:
I use this configuration for cruising down rivers, it's better than any other kayak I've tried.

There is no question that the Hobie TI is one of the world's best kayaks if not the best.

Whoa! Let's not get carried away. The AI 2/TI are outstanding kayak sailboats, but I don't think you would take one, stripped down to kayak-mode on a serious ocean expedition. No one has ever done the WaterTribe Everglades Challenge in an AI 2/TI in kayak-mode, for example.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just did a 200 mile river cruise in my TI. For kayak camping, I think the best way to go is leave the akas and amas attached and load all your gear on hakas. Being able to hop off the boat, grab one or two dry duffles off the hakas to set up camp is far and away a better option than trying to load you gear inside the boat. I put a few items in the front hatch and on the rear platform, but the bulk of everything else goes on the hakas. Putting anything in the hatches under the seats is a giant pain in the neck. And stuff inside the hull can interfere with rudder controls, which can be um, interesting.

I've got a 2012 Mirage Oasis tandem for daytrips, but the TI is much more comfortable and capable. And sailing is so much fun!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

BarbB wrote:
Can the Island be used without the outriggers and sail? If it's a windless day, could we just kayak/pedal/paddle?

I do it all the time. Other than the worry of grounding out the Mirage Drives while pedaling in shallow water, it's a breeze (no pun intended).

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MisterMoon wrote:
I just did a 200 mile river cruise in my TI. For kayak camping, I think the best way to go is leave the akas and amas attached and load all your gear on hakas. Being able to hop off the boat, grab one or two dry duffles off the hakas to set up camp is far and away a better option than trying to load you gear inside the boat. I put a few items in the front hatch and on the rear platform, but the bulk of everything else goes on the hakas. Putting anything in the hatches under the seats is a giant pain in the neck. And stuff inside the hull can interfere with rudder controls, which can be um, interesting.

I've got a 2012 Mirage Oasis tandem for daytrips, but the TI is much more comfortable and capable. And sailing is so much fun!

MisterMoon, where did you do that 200 mile river cruise?

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We did the LRR Challenge down the Savannah River from Augusta, GA to Edisto Beach, SC. Of the 250 miles we traveled, 190 miles of the race was on the Savannah river with the rig down and us pedalling. We pedalled probably another 10 or so miles on the Intracoastal one morning as well when the wind went to zero. We averaged ~58 miles per day for the whole challenge and were on the water 11-13 hours each day.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MisterMoon wrote:
We did the LRR Challenge down the Savannah River from Augusta, GA to Edisto Beach, SC. Of the 250 miles we traveled, 190 miles of the race was on the Savannah river with the rig down and us pedalling. We pedalled probably another 10 or so miles on the Intracoastal one morning as well when the wind went to zero. We averaged ~58 miles per day for the whole challenge and were on the water 11-13 hours each day.

VERY impressive!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow! I've done some awesome camping in the Quetico years ago (around Carp Lake) and now with a TI I keep thinking how much better the trip would have been out of a TI instead of a canoe.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The older A.I. is probably better-suited for 'kayak-mode' as the older-style seat if far better suited (and positioned - particularly if you want to paddle).

Both the A.I. and A.I. 2 (T.I. even more so) are very heavy bastards, even in SOT kayak terms. So you'll want spend some time in the gym before getting one!

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
pro10is wrote:

Whoa! Let's not get carried away. The AI 2/TI are outstanding kayak sailboats, but I don't think you would take one, stripped down to kayak-mode on a serious ocean expedition. No one has ever done the WaterTribe Everglades Challenge in an AI 2/TI in kayak-mode, for example.

Keith

I'm referring to its ability as an multi-use and very versatile kayak, not for something as specific and specialized as for serious ocean expeditions.

Few kayaks come close to the versatility and multi-power capability of a TI.