Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need to buy Amas & Aka's
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I own a 2018 Hobie Pro Angler 14. Several years ago I suffered a traumatic brain injury. I have lingering stability issues. Is it possible to purchase the Amas & Akas that are used on the Adventure Island to mount to my Pro Angler? I am not wanting to buy the Hobie Sidekick amas kit. I want the amas & akas as they are on the AI. Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You might be able to pick up an older Adventure Island with a bad leaky hull for next to nothing. Transfer the AKA braces, AKA’s, and AMA’s over to your PA. Might be some way to attach adaptor plates to your H rail system, (the adapter plates would be under the H rails, with correct spacers so the AKA brace runs just over the H-bar). Ideally you don’t want the AMA’s touching the water when pedaling. You won’t be able to use the adventure sail system, but might be able to rig up a hobie kayak sail, ( though the Hobie kayak sail is kinda smallish on a PA 14)
Probably overkill putting adventure AMA’s on, but hey it’s your boat.
I didn’t look to see if everything even lines up.
I have seen quite a few kayaks with the Hobie sidekicks, I would try to go down that road first if it was me.

Just thinking out loud here.
FE

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Short answer is yes.

There are pictures and videos on the web of at least two individuals who have created "Pro Islands," or "Adventure Anglers," whichever way you want to look at it.

if you are buying new and want to keep costs to a minimum, only one Outrigger will give you rock solid stability, then order 2 rear cross members 1 Front AKA, one rear AKA right or left depending on where you choose, and one Ama. You will also need the ball that the diagonal brace mounts to.

If you don't mind the extra effort to Pedal the pro angler, or even equip it with a motor, it is a much better boat to fish out of and in my opinion the ergonomics, not necessarily the comfort, of the pro angler seat far exceed the island seat, probably the higher placement and armrests which I really enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Pescatoral Pursuit, is the Amas & Aka's from the Adventure Island available to purchase directly from Hobie? The AI is difficult to find used in excellent condition in the Houston area and I would rather just buy new Amas and Akas directly from Hobie and mount it to my Pro Angler 14. I have seen several YouTube video's where the Pro Angler had these additions but I wasn't sure if it could be purchased from Hobie? Thank you for your replies.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes.

Get a catalog. Each piece has a part number, find a dealer and order the parts. You will need some prudence when making the attachments but it shouldn’t be a major task.

If/ when you do this, if you could post pics and/ or make a tutorial, that would be awesome.

Note on this catalog page, every part has a pn, even some outdated pieces so you have to be careful you are ordering exactly what you want.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Awesome.....thank you for your help Pescatoral Pursuit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You’re welcome!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HI
I am in the Houston area and would like to purchase AMA and AKA for my red 2008 Adventure Island
If anyone knows of some available, I would love to get my hands on them
Please let me know
Thanx a million
MH