Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 18SX comp tip question
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After pulling the boat out of the “boathouse” aka harbor freight carport I found that the limb which fell this winter and knocked the mast off the trailer mast rest may have slightly damaged the comp tip where it mates to the mast. There’s also some play in the halyard valley/slot or what ever you call it. I’ll try to get onpost some pics to see what your guys opinions are...

Ok I can’t figure out how to attach these dang pics! :evil:

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello Calihobie
For posting pictures you need to upload to a hosting site I'm using ImageShack.

Are you sure your boat is an SX? or is it a standard with SX wings?

Send me an email with your photo and I will try to post it for you. corkguy1390 (at) sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello Calihobie,
If you are trying to make Wet n Wild this weekend and your mast is the only thing holding you back then give me a call. I would be happy to lend or sell you a mast. If you need a comp tip or comp tip track I can help there also. (looks like there are at least 6 H18 coming)

I'm leaving for Wet n Wild Wednesday night, let me know soon if I can help.

707*363*62 eight nine.
St. Helena CA.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thx Cork guy, I emailed you some photos today.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello H18 forum I'm posting these pictures for Calihobie. Please let him know what you think about his comptip situation.

1) Image

2) [img]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/292x392q90/922/OPJOgm.jpg[img]

3) Image

Looking at Picture #1 I would say when the comtip hit the ground the mast flexed at the joint and cased what appears to be a chip to rise.

In Picture #2 it looks like there is a loose rivit. After seeing it I would sujjest pulling the comptip out and inspecting for more damage. If there is no further damage then maybe fix the chip (grind out and add a few layers of fiberglass and finish) then re-glue the comtip back into the end of the mast.

Check the comptip plastic track for cracks also.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the comptip is glued into the mast (they're supposed to be), I think you could end up doing a lot more damage trying to remove it than just leaving it be. The outside of the comptip is a fairly thick layer of un-reinforced resin which is susceptible to chipping off. Most likely that is what you're seeing at the comptip/aluminum junction. I would use a utility knife or small flat screw driver to pry up the chip and see if there is actually any broken fiber. As long as there's no broken fiber or fracture of the actual fiberglass, I would just epoxy the chip back down, or if it breaks off, fill the void back in with thickened resin tinted black. If it does look like there's damage under the chip, then maybe consider pulling out the comptip.

sm

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

Knock the chip off and fill with a pigmented resin... or spray black when using a standard putty. It is 100% cosmetic.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thx all!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Once I started looking closed the comptip had a little wiggle so I just got done pulling it out. Wasn’t glued at all. It was a bit dirty but it’s original and to be expected. Cleaned inside and outside the mast and comp tip sleeve with high grade fiber optic cleaner...alcohol. My next question is since I drilled out the head of the rivets and pushed the remained in now all 12 rivets are imbedded in the comptip sleeve. Do I try to take these out or just push em in and set the new rivets? I know I gotta do the 2 part epoxy on the sleeve but before I jump into this I wanna make sure I don’t screw myself before I hear back from you guys.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would start by just trying to push the old rivets into the mast a half inch or so. If that doesn’t work, you’re going to have to dig out the foam plug, pull out the rivet shanks, and then re-foam the bottom of the comptip.

sm

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There was plenty of give in the foam inside my comp tip to just push the rivets right through into it. The rattle in my comptip mast is from a rivet pushed through at the bottom, not the top. :roll: Be sure to use rivet caps to keep everything watertight, and a little TefGel never hurts whenever dissimilar metals meet.

Good to hear you are getting this Hobie back on the water!

Randii

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Rivet caps? Not sure what those are. Hopefully not a “blinker fluid” test haha. I installed a comp tip on my old 16 about 15 years ago and just used liquid nail and bathroom caulking on the rivet heads. The things we do when we’re young and poor. I just don’t wanna have to do this again. I got G Flex from The est Marine to match up the comptip sleeve into the mast then I’ll shove in the old rivets and set the new rivets in place until the epoxy sets. Once set I’ll finish riveting it all together and seal with clear silicone. Is this a good practice or is the something I’m overlooking? I’d hate to have epoxy setting and realize I’ll into an awe (censored) moment.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

The holes are 15/64" as I recall, a fraction over 3/16". The caps fill the hole and seal it. The rivet slides into the cap then you pop.

8011291 RIVET CAP

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Rivet caps are thin metal top-hat-looking sleeves (condoms?) that you slip around the rivet and into the hole before you pull the rivet... they waterproof the rivet with no caulk/gunk required. You'll need a burly rivet gun to pull these stainless-steel rivets. I bought a Harbor Freight air rivet gun for mine, but I'm a tool-slut... I'll never have too many tools.

Matt posted up the comp tip installation instructions in another thread: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=58920
Time flies when you're reassembling... and the pot life of your adhesive can complicate things. Definitely do a dry run on assembly before you mix up the epoxy. Inserting the comp tip, aligning the stainless hound tang, inserting rivet caps, inserting rivets... get a feel for that before you mix adhesive. I had extra entertainment doing this all signle-handed and working against pot life... all the aforementioned assembly plus pulling the rivets (then picking up the rivets that drop out when you 'pop' the other rivets, and reinserting them), pulling rivets (curse/pickup/insert/pop, curse/pickup/insert/pop, etc.)... a second pair of hands would have been handy.

You might also want to add some thickener to the G-Flex, depending on which version you got, it runs pretty thin when it heats up to cure... I've had some run enough to leave me concerned that the joint was fully wetted.

Randii

p.s. If I recall correctly, you're in the foothills area... you could borrow said rivet gun if you'd like, assuming you have an air compressor with which to power it.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That would be of great help. Yes, I’m in south Auburn off Auburn-Folsom. Would be nice to meet another local sailor too. Give me a call some time. I’m usually home most evenings and weekends. (530)219-4826