Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Luff track
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Took the Hobie 21 out on its maiden voyage this weekend had a major issue with the sale pulling out of the left rack super bummed is there still aluminum luff rack available? Mmiller? Also when the sale is fully hoisted only an inch or two of the cell looks like an interest the aluminum section of the luff track also the Boom is six or more inches longer than the bottom of the sale is it possible this is the wrong sale for this boat it looks like a 21 sale because it has a very small sale number

Post subject: Re: Luff track
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

1) Luff track issues:
The bolt rope on your sail needs to be beefed up. Once this is done the sail will pull out less often. When raising the sail be sure there isn't too much load on the sail, especially from the boom. Make sure to raise the sail all the way so that the top of the sail sits in the aluminum luff track section.

You could buy aluminum luff tracks to replace your plastic tracks, but it would probably cost you a few hundred dollars...

2) Sail foot length:
There is a bit of extra boom room to allow the sail to cleanly furl without snagging the battens on the topping lift.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:45 am 
Site Admin

There is aluminum at the top. It is critical to get full hoist and full halyard tension using the 3:1 system.

Unhook the tack to get full hoist.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

This is a Hobie 21 sport Cruiser I don't think you can unhook the tack. I bought an extra section of aluminum track,
hopefully I can replace part of plastic track with this

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

Yes you can unpin the tack to get more hoist. Then when downhauled... re-pin. It just helps get the sail higher.

I worked on the design team, wrote the manual and did the rigging videos. Watch the video on Youtube so you can go full screen. Kinda hard to see the halyard system in this old video, but may help.

Shown in the manual (Page 20): https://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/21SC_Manual.pdf#page=22

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good tip I'll loosen the tack, I didn't realize you could do that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I ended up adding a second section of aluminum luff track. The Halyard has to be super tight to get the sail into the top luff track.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi I’m starting to have problems with the head of my sail pulling out of plastic track. Can you please tell me where you got your metal track sections for the sport cruiser and how you removed the plastic track and installed the new metal sections

Thanks Will

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's the same part as a Hobie 18 - #50404101. I think it's the same one on a H21SE as well. You may have to get it used, but it's just an 18" section of aluminum extrusion.

Process is - drill out the rivets holding the aluminum mast head - you just want to drill out the head of the rivet and not drill into nor widen the hole into the comptip nor the aluminum of the head. If you do, the new rivets won't fit quite right. I drill with a slightly bigger, SHARP drill bit (dull will make the rivet spin) using a light touch. Then when the head of the rivet spins off, I use a small drift punch to punch the rest of the rivet inside the mast. Should leave a perfectly clean hole. The mast head should then come out - it may be sealed in with sealant of something, meaning it MIGHT take a little effort to free it. You slide the head off and the luff tracks just slide on out that direction. The mast head is holding the plastic and aluminum bolt rope sections in. Measure on the plastic how long your new luff section is, cut that off of the plastic luff track, smooth edges so sail doesn't get caught and slide the plastic one on first, then the 2 aluminum ones on next. Put mast Head back on and rivet it in place.

Really that simple - took me about 2 hours doing it very carefully and slowly. I re-sealed my mast and was careful to use closed head rivets. Worked fantastic and I never had the bolt rope pull out again. I got mine through Murrays, back a couple of years ago - not sure if they have them anymore, nor if Hobie even has stock or produces them. While expensive ($84 new) for a chunk of aluminum, they are worth the price with reduced aggravation, etc. If you can't find a new one - scavenge an old one from an old mast somewhere. an H17 has a little longer one, but I'm guessing it'll fit also - just cut more plastic out.

I'd call Murray's or your local Hobie dealer and see if they can get it -

https://www.murrays.com/product/50-50404101/