Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

After having to paddle in/out of the marina a couple of times, I decided to install a Cheat mount and a small gas outboard. Any recommendations for the motor brand/model? Currently I'm leaning towards a Honda BF2 (2 HP). Should I get a 15" or 20" tronsom height? Maybe there are other motors better than this? I want it to be as light as possible (the Honda weights 27 lbs).

Regards,
Adrian
Toronto, EYC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the Honda 2hp on my Getaway. It works great. Light, easy to start and moves the boat along effortlessly. It's a great choice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

drgatsea wrote:
I have the Honda 2hp on my Getaway. It works great. Light, easy to start and moves the boat along effortlessly. It's a great choice!

Thanks! Do you have a 15" or 20" transom?

Adrian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think the motor is the 15". I know I wouldn't want it any longer than it is. It's the perfect height for moving around in shallow areas, and its completely out of the water when you sail. When its lowered, the rudders are deeper in the water than the prop. It's also nice to be able to spin the motor around 180' to move directly backward.

It's more comfortable to steer and the boat is balanced better if you lock the motor in place and steer with your rudders and not the motor itself. It's a great addition to a Getaway.

Post subject: Motor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

Which motor? Short shaft and low horsepower.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the Honda 2hp outboard. I think it is the short shaft, but I'm not really sure because it came with the boat and I'm not sure what I did with the paperwork. But as I said, it is a great addition to the Getaway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you all for your posts. I have ordered the Honda BF2 (model 2D6SCHC - this one has a neutral gear) - 2 HP, 4-stroke, short shaft (15").

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've had the Honda 2HP short shaft for 6 months now. I operate in salt water. I've had numerous problems: The Cheta mount sprays water constantly on the engine. The engine is air cooled (not water cooled) and has taken on a lot of salt water. I am on my 2nd carbarator bowl. The first one rusted out from the inside and the drain plug froze so the bowl had to be replaced. My mechanic says the Nissan 2.5Hp would be better as it is water cooled and can be covered and protected from the spray even in use. Most of the problems have been that the Cheta mount hangs 6-8" below the boat and constantly sprays the motor with water. I will contact Cheta tomorrow to make sure that the mount is properly installed. In the meantime I have used a 2" diameter rubber hose, split down the middle and wrapped around the mount with tie wraps to serve as a fairing to redirect the water flow off the engine. Another problem has been when waves or pitch poling have flipped the motor almost upside down. Apparently the oil ends up in the carborator. If you notice the warning label on the engine, it indicates that the engine should either be stored vertical or on it's right side. I have solved this problem by using a bungie cord to keep the engine from flipping up when hit by waves or by a capsize or pitch pole (those Captains really have to be more carefull)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had similar problems with my Honda 2HP. Because of the water spray the engine will stop now and then (and usually when you needed it most). I have capsized once and later when I tried to use the engine it stopped working after 10 minutes (now I know why). The engine is still in my garage waiting to be taken to the mechanic. I will probably replace it with a Nissan 2hp - I don't trust the Honda engine anymore.

You can see how the water sprays over the engine in some parts of this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yb4XIOVQuc. When the engine is in the water is much worse.

Post subject: Cheata Mount
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for the video of water splashing on the Honda engine. I noticed that the Cheata mount was in the down position while the Honda outboard had flipped up. You will get less water if you raise the Cheata mount into the "up" position while keeping the Honda in the "down" position.

I have tried calling Cheata at 407-746-0479 but I get a recording saying the number is no longer in service. I am thinking of remounting the Cheata mount so that does not stick so far down in the water. Right now the bottom of my mount is not parrallel to the water but tilted down and aft about 5 degrees. I just made a fairing out of 2" hose on the leading edge of the mount to try to redirect the water flow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I built a cover for mine out of a old water proof nylon stuff sack. When the motor is not in use( ie running) I keep the cover on. The cover closes on top using Velcro and I can remove it in a easily and quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I plan to replace the Honda 2HP with a Nissan 2HP (water cooled). However, looking at the specs I see a big difference in weight (Honda - 27 lbs vs. 41 lbs for Nissan). I wonder if the Cheata mount is strong enough to support the 41 lbs + fuel. Does anyone use the Cheata with a motor of comparable weight?

Post subject: cheata mount
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 3.5 hp Nissan on my 05 Getaway with no problems