Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Essential equipment?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi everyone. My 1984 H16 is back together and just about ready for launch on her maiden (to me) voyage. I've familiarized myself with as much information as possible regarding handling characteristics and practiced on a friends boat recently but one question remains...

With no internal hull ports or access, what equipment to bring and how to stow it?

I'm determined to keep safety gear onboard at all times and currently I have plans to do the following.

1. Throwable Type IV flotation - tie it to the trampoline, either above or below (I know a lot of people don't bother with them)
2. 2X paddles - lash them to the dolphin striker.
3. Required registration and safety signal kit with spare parts - I'm unsure what to do here. find some kind of bag (possibly waterproof) and tie it to the mast?
4. Ice chest - could be soft or hard box, mandatory beer and picnic storage and possible dry storage for keys, phone etc...

I'm looking for best practice ideas on how to keep everything efficient and out of the way until needed. And if there is anything you don't sail without that I missed please let me know! Further, if you have a great product that you love, post pics or a link please.

Thanks,
Travis

Post subject: Re: Essential equipment?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I always tied the throwable under the tramp up front. I used a plastic paddle, just 1, and wove it into the lacing of the tramp. Since it was plastic it bent a little and caused no problem. Another item required here in NC was a whistle as a signaling device.

Sailing on a lake, it was most convenient to leave coolers, etc. on the beach and come it to relax after sailing for a while. There have been cooler holders that attach ahead of the dolphin striker but I never had one. (I sailed my boat for about 30 years). I never carried my keys or registration on the boat. Registration was always available in my car and I was never stopped. Boat numbers and current sticker were enough I guess.

Where do you plan to sail?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The only thing's I'd add (which I always take) are a length of rope/line that I can use if I need a tow or to throw to someone in the water. I just have it coiled up and bungeed to the tramp lacing with my paddle. I also take a phone, in a small Pelican box, which then goes into a dry bag that has a multi-tool and sunscreen. Our life jackets have whistles and something to cut lines in an emergency. On the rare occasions that I'm in the bay, I carry a VHF.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

leecea wrote:
Our life jackets have whistles and something to cut lines in an emergency.

I definitely have whistles. I keep them clipped to our PFDs so they're always close at hand. This is critical in the lake close to our home where there are always kids jumping off of and swimming near the dock. I'll have to consider knives, but I may need to upgrade PFDs to accommodate.

I also forgot to mention fenders which i plan to use carabiners to clip between two pylons. Since I plan on sailing local mostly (central Texas/San Antonio) beaching isn't a very good option as most of the shore lines here are very rocky or straight limestone. (Looking at Boerne City Lake, Canyon Lake, and Medina Lake)

hrtsailor wrote:
Sailing on a lake, it was most convenient to leave coolers, etc. on the beach and come it to relax after sailing for a while. There have been cooler holders that attach ahead of the dolphin striker but I never had one.

I've seen the "Cool Cat" harnesses and I'm considering one, but you raise a good point about leaving the cooler on shore.

So regarding "dry" storage, do y'all just tie a dry box to the tramp? Or do you maybe invest in the nicer waterproof bags with the straps?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
I'll have to consider knives, but I may need to upgrade PFDs to accommodate.

My wife is not a big fan of knives so she carries Sea Snips (Google them) and they are pretty good at attaching to a PFD. I tried them out and they seem OK for sawing through lines.

Quote:
So regarding "dry" storage, do y'all just tie a dry box to the tramp? Or do you maybe invest in the nicer waterproof bags with the straps?

I have a cheapish "Adventure Lion" dry bag in 5L size that I normally use, plus a bigger one that I almost never use. I also put my phone in a Pelican box that goes into the dry bag to provide a double defense! The dry bag clips around the hiking strap near the front and I have a backup 'biner to also hold it in place. I like backups!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

tgrahmann wrote:
I have a cheapish "Adventure Lion" dry bag in 5L size that I normally use

Ah ha! This was kinda what I was looking for. Almost all the dry bags I've seen only have a clip at the top and would be hard to secure, so this could be perfect. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a flat, zippered bag that I clip to the trampoline lacing. In it are an emergency repair kit (got it on eBay, it has shackles, etc), a small water proof flashlight, a small hand held compass, a pair of small waterproof binoculars, and a handheld marine radio. When I go on big lakes, like Lake Michigan, I put in flares and smoke generator in a dry bag.

Too many canoes and kayaks