Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hobie 16 or getaway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello ! I'm new here and want to learn sailing on my local lake, which is small but big enough that people sail 16 and 18' cats.

Here's the story : my stepfather used to own a prindle 16 on that lake, had fun with it, got scared and then sold it. Fast forwards a couple of years, he now wants to get back into sailing and I want to join him in that project. He's hesitating between a dinghy and a cat. I've done hours of research on internet and I realize that no boat can do it all but I could appreciate your input.

I'm 165 lbs, him around 185, we want something that can be easily sailed solo or with 2 and from time to time be able to bring 1 or 2 more passagers (all under 180 lbs). We don't expect to have any kind of performance with 3 or 4 people on a boat, it's just for cruising.

Would the H16 fits the bill here ? What about the getaway ? If I flip the getaway while being solo, can I right it by myself ? What about beaching it when I'm done for the day ?

I've got zero experience sailing but I've done lots of flying and paragliding so I do know a thing or two about winds and lift. Of course my stepfather will show me the ropes but is the cat a too big challenge for a beginner ? Would we be better off buying a dinghy first and then a cat later on ?

thanks for your advice !

Post subject: Re: hobie 16 or getaway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I haven't sailed a 16, so I'm prejudiced. A Getaway will be more forgiving and you will not have to right it as often as a 16 (I never capsized mine in 3 years and sailing in 20 kt breeze). Don't need to trap out if you don't want to-even if you don't have wings but I'd get the wings, personally, since it makes for comfortable sailing when used as a backrest. Supposedly you can right it single handed if you have a bag you can lower to dip and grab some moveable ballast (ie, water). A getaway has much more real estate for company when there are more than two aboard. Here's a video of a comfortable sail with three big men aboard in 10-20 kt breeze and even flew spin. Fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYIVBOn ... X&index=22

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have no experience with a Getaway but owned an H-16 for 30 years. I soloed most of the time on a lake but often took one or two people with me. I have sailed with 4 but it is a little crowded. The 16 is a high performance boat but not difficult to learn on. If people are sailing on your local lake with 16s, you might want to see if any of them will give you information and take you out for a ride. Most Hobie sailors are happy to demonstrate and help new sailors.

I wonder why you would consider a dinghy. I picture a dinghy as a very small sailboat that would only hold one or two people. I have owned and sailed a 9' sailing pram, a 14' Banshee, and an 18' Cape Cod catboat in addition to my Hobie. There are larger sailboats that might satisfy you but a catamaran would be my choice and the H-16 because I am prejudiced.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Okay and is it easy to pull a getaway to the beach by a single person ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dunno, I trailersailed out of a marina with a launch ramp. But the Getaway has the front bar to grab which means you don't have to wade as far in the water to start dragging. It does weigh 400 pounds though and I think the 16 is a bit lighter. The skegs might help as "sand skis". 16 has a taller mast and better performance...Getaway has an ugly ball on top which makes stepping harder than it should be--but they say you want it if you capsize. They are both cheap fun boats.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Getaway is ~400 lbs, and a great 'family' boat.
H16 is very versatile, either ~310 or ~320 lbs depending on year of manufacture.

H16 Crew weight limit is about 300 lbs, above that it starts to sail like a pig, although we have sailed with ~600 lbs of people on board.
H16 can be sailed by one person....suggest you invest in a trapeze harness and start doing sit ups and crunches.
Getaway can also be sailed by one person, although you'll have to work harder....

Think this through to 'once I have learned to sail this beast, where and how do I want to sail?'
If you are mostly a solo sailor, I suggest the H16.
If you are a social sailor, (family, friends etc) look at the Getaway.

I solo'd my H18SX last night at weekly races...(crew got stuck in traffic)..and on one's own, that is hard work.
Against F18's and an Inter 20 and Tornados, the usual DFL finish, but my handicap helps.

There is no way I could launch (down the ramp) or get back up the ramp without help.
Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You didn't state how old your stepfather is, or how really active he is. I've owned both boats, the Getaway is slower more relaxing boat, has less sail area and gives a person a little more time to react to things while sailing. It tacks very well, has room for more people with netting in front of the tramp. You stated 2 or 3 people but that number will grow.
The H16 is a bit faster, lighter and quick acting. You have to be a little more observant to weight distribution do to less buoyancy. It does get stuck in irons a lot until you learn to tack it right. But it's a lot funner to sail if you want to be aggressive, I'm not sure but it's probably easier to right when tipped.

79' H16 Green Lightning

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
...got scared and then sold it

Seems like the first thing to do is discuss with him what caused him to feel that way and what will be different this time, so the same thing can't be repeated.

Flying Scotts are quite popular on the small like near me. I've never been in one, but maybe worth a look.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I own a Getaway, and have sailed the 16.
Either boat would be fine, imho. Like John Lunn said, the G will carry a lot more weight, but the 16 is a bit faster. I have no problem soloing my G.
The 16 capsizes much more easily than a G. I've only dumped the G once, and it was easy to right by myself at 200#. My 165# neighbor has a 16 and uses a water bag to help him right it.
Dragging either one up a beach is, well, a drag. Beach wheels, or some sort of skid system if it's your beach, are the way to go.

I periodically join a sailing club where I can sail Lasers, 420's, J-boats, 18' Interlaken sloops, but I find I much prefer sailing my cat. Dinghies are a bit boring. Although they are more comfortable in early spring and late fall when the water and wind are chilly.

Oh, and yes, a cat is fine for a beginner. I learned to sail on a 16' dinghy, but my first, 3rd, and current boats were all cats. I had a 17' Thistle, but I got rid of it because it scared the kids! :lol: They were used to sailing flat on a cat, or flying a hull (they loved that!), but the rounded Thistle sails heeled WAAAYYYY over and they didn't like it.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My stepfather is mostly scared of doing some damages to other boats, the lake is very crowded on weekends but I think we simply need to sail on week days instead and the problem will be solved. He's almost retired now and with my schedule, it's mostly off during the week.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
My stepfather is mostly scared of doing some damages to other boats

That is a very real fear. If you run into a boat or any other water craft, especially if you injure anyone, you will need to have good liability insurance. Your father-in-law may have assets that are funding his retirement and he is right to be afraid of losing them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

if there's any incline you may have real problems singlehanding a getaway up on the beach.

Gonna be that guy and suggest a Wave perhaps? very forgiving, easy to singlehand, kinda piggish performance with 2+ but you can stay out well after the 16s and getaways and dinghies have to bring it in. easy to right, can carry 4+ adults no problem.

H16- 2 seat sports car.
Getaway- Cadillac
Wave- Comfortable, peppy sedan.