Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello. I bought a Hobie Classic wave this spring. The kids and I have been really enjoying it.

However, I'm having trouble with the rudders. The cams seem to get stuck in the wrong position thus preventing me from locking the rudder down. I have taken the cam and springs out, cleaned them, greased them, and put it back together. Still having issues. Not sure I know how to do this properly.

So ... I'm wondering:
A) is there a guide for how to maintain the cams/springs assembly?
B) should I consider new cams and parts and replace it all (if yes, is there a kit and what is the part number)?
C) any other guidance regarding making the rudders function properly.

Many thanks. Craig.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 96 Wave. Cams were not working period. Put the 5204 kit in. Cleaned and greased the entire assembly including the springs. Everything works perfectly now.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In addition to cleaning and lubricating the cams, you also need to make sure that the rake adjustment plates (in the upper castings) are set properly. If the rake adjustment plate is set too far aft, the upper casting can shift back when kicking up the rudders and the plate will slip past the cam without actually tripping the cam. You will be left with a cam in the locked "down" position even though the rudders are up.

To check the rake adjustment plate, put the boat on the trailer and lock the rudders down so that the cams are engaged. Then grab each rudder and try to move the tip forward and aft. If there is a lot of slop in the fore/aft position of the rudder (with the rudder locked down), it means the rake adjustment plate needs to be re-positioned. Loosen the bolt on the top of the upper rudder casting using a 1/2" socket. Push and hold the rudder blade as far forward in the lower casting as it will go. Then slide the rake adjusting plate & bolt as far forward in the upper casting as they can go so the plate is fully seated against the cam and re-tighten the bolt. Then check the rudder locking operation.

If you're still having issues with the cam not tripping properly after positioning the rake adjustment plate, then most likely you have the cam tension screw set too tight, you need to lubricate the cam/plunger, or you need a new cam.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:11 am 
Site Admin

Rudder cam and rake FAQ: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=467

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Fantastic. Thanks guys. Really appreciate the info. Craig.