Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Major leak
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi I have a leak in my AI after 3 hrs of sailing it was 1/3 full of water any ideas on where I should start looking. It was my first time in it after purchasing 2nd hand sailing in light conditions. Is there anything that I should check first? It's an early model.
I must thank the people who helped me before I purchased this as I did check stuff I didn't know about but obviously still got caught out.
Being an amputee I need to know it's not going to sink on me.Unfortunately price played a big part in me being able to get an AI so I could get out and enjoy life but got scammed by a guy even after explaining my need to be safe. So now I need to fix it. Any help would be really appreciated.
By the way with my last post I didn't get any notifications that people had replied can this be set up at all? I felt bad that I didn't answer people soon enough when they responded.Cheers Pete

Post subject: Re: Major leak
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You ended up with a 10/11 model?
I’ll mention the obvious first -the bung drain plug/Oring in the stern looks good?
That much water probably indicates either a drivewell crack or scupper damage. You mentioned in your original post a crack “where the left hand trolley post comes out”. I’m guessing you mean the rear scupper? That needs closer investigation. Good news is that can be repaired but you will need to add a hatch in the rear well to gain access.
There are many posts on leaks so do a search to get more info.
Other common leak areas are the forward hatch bungee fittings and the seat well seat locating holes.

A pressure test with a portable air bed pump while on water works well with the drivewell/scupper problems.

A drivewell ledge crack is much more serious and usually cannot be repaired successfully.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And for incredibly more peace of mind, pop into Kmart or similar and buy about half a dozen pool noodles. If you stuff them along the insides of the main hull, your AI will NOT sink, even with you onboard (although it will handle like a pig if full of water). You can also simply add old 2 or 3 litre fruit juice bottles, as the idea is to ensure there is less room for water in the hull. Turf 'em out to make way for other gear if you ever go on excursions, as your camping gear will still tend to help with flotation.

Of course, fixing the leak should be your absolute priority, but in my opinion, you can't have too much flotation, especially the sort that still works even if the hull's integrity is breached. (I have always had pool noodles in my non-leaking TI)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for your replies Tony and stingray I have checked the crack and filled it with good quality silicon for now. The bung looks good but I will replace it. The hatch barely got wet as it was a very mild wind so guessing that should be ok. Is there a set of instructions on how to fix that crack? If I put an air gun in the rear bung and spray the drive well with soapy water should that work
Cheers for any help I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I’m not clear on where the crack is?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi stingray I have a photo but can't seem to be able to attach it.
It is cracked at the top of the scupper only the deck not into the hole (in the area behind the drink bottle holder). if I could post a pic it would be clear. I think I can fix it with the 3m or loctite mentioned in another post. Still would like to check the area around the peddle locks just to be sure.
I'll probably buy some noodles as well Tony.
Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i cannot help with the crack, just wanted to say i am sorry you got scammed. if it were me, knowing your condition i might of even refused to sell you the island in that condition. that's just dangerous. i hope you can get it fixed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Florida I am disappointed but just have to fix it now. Good news is that I closed the hatches and pumped air in and air escaped around the hatch and rudder line outlets. The crack seems to be ok with the silicone but I will replace it with the loctite 3030. The crack had been welded previously but now under closer scrutiny it was bodgy job and I picked some weld out easily.
Thanks for your reply appreciate it. After talking to the seller prior and when checking it out and explaining my condition he guaranteed me hat it was fine he lied that's life I now just need to find the problem and fix it.
Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, not good but a scupper problem is much easier to fix than a drivewell crack.
Pics need to be hosted on a third party site like Photobucket, Dropbox etc . You upload your pic, copy the link and then paste that into your post between the Img brackets created using the Img button that appears when posting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes I must say I was relieved when those drive wells were ok so now I will get some loctite 3030 and fix that crack properly, fix the hatch and see where I am after that. One question though Stingray the steering cords change to a thinner braided line near the rear hatch is that normal and is that the reason they leak air through the hull outlets?
I replaced the o ring on the bung even though it looked ok.
Thanks for your help appreciate it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The thinner braided line is standard. It’s actually Spectra 1.75mm which is very strong. There should be O-rings in the rudder tubes, but it’s difficult to get a fully watertight seal and that wouldn’t be the source of your leak with that much water in. The plastic can be very thin in the scupper tube itself. Are you sure the crack is only at the top? I had an AI that had a hairline fracture in the tube itself but it still let a lot of water in as it was always submerged.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will double check though Idid spray plenty of soapy water onto it without bubbles. Is there an upgrade for the scuppers to reinforce them? I'll get a better seal on the hatch and put a bit more pressure in the hull and see what happens maybe it didn't get enough pressure to leak. I wold rather be safe and make sure it's water tight.
Cheers Stingray I do appreciate your help.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hope you get it fixed OK IL2! Have you tried getting help from your dealer at Maclean Outdoors? I was amazed at the size of his shop and what he stocked for such a small town. He’s a long time Hobie dealer and knows his stuff. You live in a great waterway, perfect for the Hobie Islands, as they handle shallow water better than any other tri! We were up your way this time last year, renting a house that backed onto a canal, and had a great 2 weeks exploring:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes it is great mate where r you? I live on the canals at the top of your map and have easy access to the river so I will make the most of the hobie. Did a trip around Freeburn as my first trial run where I found the leak. Next time your in the area give me a call and we can sail together. I am looking for a way of reinforcing those scuppers from the start so I don't have to worry about them again. If I see a 2015 or better at a bargain I might upgrade I think at some stage.
Thanks again for your help mate. stay in touch.
What did your track your trips with ? Great idea.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I took my AI for a 4 hr sail this afternoon and came home with about a cup of water in the hull. Very happy with that I must say. looks like the silicone did its job and that shows that the leak was the split in the scupper.
Thanks for all your help with this I really enjoy my hobie and wish I had of got one earlier but better late than never! Cheers