Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am considering shortening my trap wires by about 6 inches to get a little more leverage when swinging in off the trapeze. The handles on the stock wires feel a little low to me. Everything is rigged correctly on my boat, and I have all the nicopress sleeves and tools to do the job. I just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts before I cut my wires.

I know about the screw on handles, but don't want to clutter up with more hardware and extra weight.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

Current spec calls for 32" off the deck I believe. About shoulder high... Too high and you can't reach when out.

You could confirm by trapping out and seeing how high you could comfortably reach.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't remember exactly how many inches I shortened mine, I'm thinking 4", and the reach for the handle feels pretty good. I'm 5'9" with average reach. As mmiller said, best way would probably be to trap out, reach up and mark the spot. Something to consider, if you ever have shorter crew, will they be able to reach?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I shortened my wires so the fixed handle is 29” above the rail. Wow! What a difference. I’m 5’9” and that puts the handle at shoulder height to me when sitting on the rail. This also puts your arm in a position where you can use some muscle to lift yourself up to push out. It also makes swinging back in easier. You’re right Matt that if you go too short, the handle would be hard to reach when you’re trapped out. I’ll pick up another set of wires and keep them stock length for times when I have a shorter crew. Thanks for the help on this.