Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MICHIGAN!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've noticed quick replies to Michigan classified ads... how many Michiganders do we have in here?

West Michigan is where it's at!

Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

Campaign for Liberty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm in southeast Michigan, near Detroit. Still looking for a Hobie, though . . . Would prefer a 14 . . .
Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a 14 for sale. [email protected] located 50428

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:21 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

prd60: I'm in Commerce Twp., just over the line from West Bloomfield. There's a good chance that I'll see xanderwess in about 2 weeks. If you work out a deal with him, I'd be willing to haul your "new" 14 back from the flatlands where he lives.

BTW, I have a 14, 16 and a Tiger. Hobie Fleet 276 Detroit has several fun sails during the year, often at Whitmore Lake (near Ann Arbor - where I keep my 14 in the summer) and on Lk. St. Clair (Metro Beach). We host a regatta every year in Port Burwell, Ontario.

Our "fleet meetings" are held over 1/2 price pints on Thursday nights at the Moose Preserve (Square Lake & Woodward). If you'll give me your e-mail, we'll put you on the annoucement list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My 14 that is for sale is this: its a 73 that needs total recondition. Fun project and good boat to work with. I have only the hulls, mast, rails and rudders, and set of traditional rigging: All that for $200. I can add furler & spinner, turbo bridle wires, jib blocks and sheet for a bit more.
Needs some love but will end up being a nice ride.
Matt, I'll give you a bit-o-gas $ if this guy want the boat. Also, FLATLANDS?? When the heck did MI become a mountainous region? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, MBounds, for your very generous offer! Although I have the skills to handle a "project" boat (my kids and I built our own skiff a few years ago), it's not really what I'm looking for right now. Thanks also to Xanderwess.

I appreciate the info on the local Hobie Fleet; I'll keep those events in mind. I visit the website occasionally.

Michigan's flat, but we're not THAT flat. Plus, we have water! Whenever I see posts from Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, I wonder: Whre are these guys sailing -- in cornfields??

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK, I'm in Holland with a H-18. A friend is in Hudsonville, H-16. Another looking for a H-18 with wings. At Silver Lake in Mears Mi where we have/had a few regattas we would get about 8 to 15 boats. Hobies, Nacra, Windrider Tri, and a A Class cat.

I found that most everyone is spread out but if you go on a Saturday most will play. :D

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

DVL wrote:
OK, I'm in Holland with a H-18. A friend is in Hudsonville, H-16. Another looking for a H-18 with wings. At Silver Lake in Mears Mi where we have/had a few regattas we would get about 8 to 15 boats. Hobies, Nacra, Windrider Tri, and a A Class cat.

I found that most everyone is spread out but if you go on a Saturday most will play. :D

good to hear! I'm sure I'll come camping there this summer. :)

Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

Campaign for Liberty

Post subject: MICHIGAN!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

I'm from Southeast Michigan with a Hobie Cat Wave Okay, I know its not the big dog but the fun factor is just as high.

I keep it at Stoney Creek Metro Park and sail there most of the time. I'd like to go out on Lake Saint Clair but have not done it yet. Just purchased the boat last year so hoping to go to more Lakes this coming year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Michiganders!

I am located in southeast Michigan south of Howell. I am very new to all of this and I am still looking for a Hobie 16 preferrably 1985 or newer in ready to to sail/race condition. I am going this weekend to the west side of the state to look at a boat.

I have been in to see the guys at Midwest Sailing a couple of times and they have been very helpful.

I was wondering what happened to the Fleet 276 web page? It has not been functional for the last couple of months.
Matt can you please add me to the announcement list. [email protected]

Thanks,

Pat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:10 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The short story on the Fleet 276 web site (www.fleet276.com) is that we inadvertently let the domain name expire.

It was snapped up by a domain name speculator who wants an exorbitant amount to sell it back to us. Let that be a lesson to everybody who maintains a web site!

In the meantime, our webmaster, Paul Krutty, has had his "real" workload go ballistic, so he hasn't been able to get something going on an alternate domain. We should have something up soon.

I think we'll try to do a Moose Preserve call for next Thursday. We haven't gotten together in a while and the season is starting (for me at least) next weekend - if the weather's good, I'm going to haul the 14 to KS for the Daggerless Regatta.

The first regatta in these parts is the first weekend in May, at Alum Creek north of Columbus, OH. It's an OCRA/CRAM regatta, so they'll have a lot of those "other" catamarans there, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I thought web domain name "squatting" was illegal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:40 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The entity that bought our domain name did nothing illegal - we let it expire; they legitimately bought it and are willing to sell it to the highest bidder - starting bid $150.

Domain name squatting involves the acquisition of domain names that include trademarks ("Fleet 276" is not trademarked), then seeking to sell the domain name to the trademark owner.

It was a stupid mistake that we'll never let happen again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt, would it not be easier to get a new fleet number than to pay the guy for the domain name?

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:50 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

We're not going to pay them for the domain name, and Fleet 276 has some sentimental value as the Detroit fleet's number, so we're just going to go with another domain suffix.