Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,
I've read a number of threads on UV. Some solve the OP's questions, but not mine. Others peter out. So please forgive me for reviving a seemingly old topic.

We have a 2.5 month old Oasis. We use it 4-5 times a week as a volunteer at a local lake. We have no good place to store it and it is heavy and difficult to load/unload (very high rack on the truck); since we are out almost every day, we just leave it on the truck. There really isn't a better option.

I've read where lots of people are concerned about fading and such. I'm not worried about the color. The predominant color of the bottom of our bright yellow boat is sand and mud plus a scum line at the normal waterline of the boat. Others express concern about resale value. I bought the boat to use, not as an investment, so resale is of no interest or concern to me.

What I am worried about is degradation of the strength of the boat. I want to be able to use the boat for many years. I don't want to spend $4700 on a boat (including tax and a few accessories) only to have the bottom fall out in a year or two.

So my questions:
1. What are the effects of UV on strength and durability of the hull?
2. How long can I expect the hull to be usable and safe?
3. Is there something practical I can do to mitigate the degradation? By practical, I mean either something I can do once in a while (once a month, once a year, etc.) in my driveway or something I can do in a minute or two as I am loading it. (Like a cover that will withstand southern CA highway speeds.)

Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Use Aerospace 303 protecter and keep it out of sun when not using and it should outlast you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

As I said, keeping it out of the sun is not an option.

How often will I have to re-apply Aerospace 303 protector to the bottom of the boat given the schedule of
* Drive to the lake with boat on top of truck.
* Launch boat, partially dragging in the sand.
* Use the boat for 4 hours, occasionally hitting rocks or u/w branches (gently).
* Drag the boat out of the water and put on truck rack.
* Drive home and leave the boat on the rack until tomorrow.

I don't have a place to store it out of the sun. And even if I did, I'm an old guy and I'm not interested in lifting a 94 pound boat on and off of my really high truck rack 5 days a week just to store it. Once a day to launch it is plenty. I'm looking for an alternative which will work with my actual, real world situation.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Get a tarp or a kayak cover - keep it covered, and flipped over will greatly increase lifespan of any kayak (let alone your Hobie)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am purchasing a used Oasis today, I have a boat in the Oceaside Marina. I have similar issues in that if it is inconvenient I won’t use it. I’m 70, so not too interested in man handling it much.

I plan to keep the boat on a floating water carpet behind the dock. I called Hobie and asked them what they thought. His response was,other than the color,fading, and some pitting corrosion of the stainless fittings he saw no issues. He essentially compared it to keeping my boat outside in the salt water (my Bayliner has been in the Ocean for 30 years). Looks,old and faded, but floats fine. I had the same concern re hull integrity.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jbernier wrote:
Get a tarp or a kayak cover - keep it covered, and flipped over will greatly increase lifespan of any kayak (let alone your Hobie)
Don't think you read my posting.

Has anyone used a kayak cover ON their roof rack? At highway speeds?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

FatBear wrote:
Jbernier wrote:
Don't think you read my posting.

Has anyone used a kayak cover ON their roof rack? At highway speeds?

https://www.storeyourboard.com/kayak-tr ... PIEALw_wcB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Any decent fabric shop would sell by the yard a stretchy knitted tubular fabric that fits like a sock over the entire hull. Sew up one end, its easy to fit, prevents UV damage and doesn’t flap when towing at highway speeds.
The pics are gone but more info in this old post here:
https://www.hobie.com/au/en/forums/view ... 32&p=57075

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very interesting idea, but I wonder how long T-shirt fabric would last being on the truck all the time and being pulled on/off the boat 4-5 times a week.