Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ok I am getting there. I figured out how to safely solo step the mast.
I used a shackle on the end of the jib sheet that ties to the car and added a second shackle to the car becket so I won't have to tie/untie every time. I used a threaded D shape quick link on the jib clew blocks to the 2 bow Bridle cables and a shackle on the 2 bridle wires. When I raised the mast and tightened the jib sheet it pulled the Forestay tight enough to hold the mast up. Then I was able to pull down on the forestay by hand and connect the shackle. Didn't work too bad actually.

Now I just have to get some Jib halyard and main halyard sheet and I can see what else I need to raise the sails!

I am pretty sure the original main halyard broke and they just shortened it with a couple monster nicopresses as the 2 that are on there are MUCH bigger than the ones on the other end. That would explain why the 1st bead is too far up the cable to lock in the fingers.

84 14T Redline #67 Blue Hawaii faded but still working!
82 Yellow hull16 '81 Boomer nationals 20.9 on GPS
83 White hull 16 No sails "Clean and Purty Now!"
87 White hull no sails no tramp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had some 1/8" rope I used yesterday to pull the sails up on the trailer. I found the track on the mast was full of stuff about 1/2 way up as I was 1st raising the sail. Just high enough that I didn't have anything I could slide in the track to clean it out. Dam, took the mast down for about the 3rd or 4th time. Cleaned the track out well, Raised the mast again ( I am getting pretty good at it now). Then I raised the main sail. I had to cleat the mainsheet as the main halyard I have is not right.

I don't have any line yet for a downhaul either.

Then I raised the jib. The jib seems to sit lower than a bunch of the pictures I have seen and I am not sure I have the jib sheet right but at least I got it all raised and have a feel for how to do it. I am pretty sure it is not the aussie style.

I will have to fix a small tear I found in the main sail and some of the stitching on the head of the sail has come out. And I am missing some battens for the main sail, #3,5,6, but I have the bottom one. I also want to get new batten caps as they seem broken.

Making progress. At this rate I MIGHT get to test it this year

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am a little confused about what you described for raising the mast. What do you mean by "car and car becket"?

I have always raised my mast solo by tying one end of a line (about 8' long) to the shackle on the jib halyard (not the jib sheet) and the other end to the shackle on the bridle. After raising the mast, I lean into it and reach down to the uncleat the jib halyard, pull it tight, and recleat it. It not only holds the mast up but it holds the bridle up, making it very easy to connect the forestay. I then slack off the jib halyard and remove the length of line.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My 16 has the old style jib traveler cars that lock in place. There is a becket for the jib sheet on each of the jib travelers.

In mark millers video I saw that he unties the jib sheet from one of the jib car traveler and ties it to the shackle on the bridle. I added a shackle to the becket and the end of the jib sheet so I wouldn't have to untie it every time. Then I shackled the jib clew blocks to the d ring. The end of the jib sheet with the shackle I hooked about 1/2 way up the forestay adjuster. Pull the jib sheet tight on both sides and cleat them before raising the mast.

I used the D quick link as it holds the bridles together while fiddling with the shackle bolt and seemed to help me hold it all together when I hooked up the shackle.

Once the mast is raised I reach down and pull one end of the jib sheet and it pulls the forestay tight, cleat the line and it holds it all pretty well together so I could get down and connect the shackle from the forestay adjuster to the bridles.

YMMV but it seemed to work for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think you would find my method, using a piece of line to extend the length of the jib halyard a lot simpler than fooling with the jib sheet and the jib cars. I used that method for many years to the point where it was easier for me to raise the mast solo than to have help. One thing that you might want to do is build a simple tripod to set the end of the mast on before raising it. I used three old tent poles with some line to hold them in position. They just folded up and I held them on the trailer with bungee when not in use.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was thinking about building a support for the mast. I just used a trashcan in the backyard but I don't want to haul it with me everywhere I go!

I will try your method and see how it works for me. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To make the tripod, I used 3 aluminum poles about 5 or 6' long. I drilled holes about 1' from the top and tied them together, then drilled holes 2' from the bottom and tied lines (with knots to keep them in position) so that the legs could spread enough to stand up. The mast will sit in the V formed at the top. It works just as well for lowering the mast. I have another little trick that is a little hard to describe but I'll try. To keep shrouds and wires from catching on the rear corner castings when raising the mast, I hook the hiking wire bungees around the front corner castings. I then position the shrouds inside the wires which are being held taut by the bungees. Then when I raise the mast none of the wires gets caught.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Because you have the non-comptip main halyard with two nicopress fittings, it works better to raise the main while you are standing far forward.....near the tip of the bows. This prevents the reef fitting from jamming up in the sheeve before the main is all the way up. Once up, you need to hold tension on the halyard as you walk toward the mast and engage the hook with the proper fitting. If that doesn't work, there may be something else wrong like a bad sheeve. You can examine closer when the mast is down or by flipping the boat on land.

A bent mast hinge will cause the ball to overshoot the cup (which can easily lead to a broken mast step.....not fun or inexpensive to replace). I always remove the hinge completely while sailing since it can accidentally be flipped upwards and then be bent by rotation of the mast. I use a straight clevis pin in the bottom hole and a screwdriver in the top one so that goes pretty quick. To be fair though, I have mast up storage and only raise/lower the mast when travelling with the boat.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the tip.
I ordered a new main halyard today as mine is too short between the sail attaching shackle and the 1st nico.

I know my mast hinge is a little bent but I straightened it as best I could. With practice maybe getting the ball to drop in the socket will come easier. When I start to raise it, it toggles up right away and I have to jostle the mast to get it to toggle into the socket. I might try one of the other hinges that automatically toggles in place and then you remove it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My new halyard and the rest of the pieces parts I ordered showed up! I am hoping to splash my 16 this weekend.

Now if we could get some dam wind! Windalert is telling me it's 2 gusting to 6 on my favorite local lake. Although that might be better for a maiden voyage.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We've got plenty of wind here in NC right now. Wish we could send some there. Actually you are better off starting with light wind to check it all out. Just remember to bring a paddle.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yep, I learned the wind on my favorite lake likes to completely die after the sun gets below the trees. Only had to hand paddle once this year when I left my community paddle in the jetski from the night before.

Might get a paddle for each next year he he.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Went camping on an island on Squam Lake on the 4th this year and there was absolutely no wind. We ended up paddling the whole mile to the island and back the next day with 2 adults, 2 kids, and camping gear on board. It sucked. Can’t predict the wind when you have to book things months ahead of time. That’s when I found out the 16 isn’t the best sailboat for family camping.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Huge grin on my face right now!
As usual the wind at the boat ramp was pretty lame. But there was enough that I didn't have to paddle to get away from shore. Once I got out to where there was some wind (2-4 with gusts to 6-8) I started to go. I was grinning as soon as I felt how stable it was compared to my 14 turbo. It almost doesn't matter where you sit on it!

By the time I got everything ready to go I didn't leave until 5 pm and it gets DARK here now at 7. So by the time I GOT to the ramp it was already 5:30ish and by the time I had it all set up and ready to go it was a bit after 6. Coolest thing, I was at the far side of the lake where there is usually better wind and the sun was out. Then I noticed this crazy thick fog coming in from towards the ocean. Within 10 minutes it was nearly dark from the fog. Pretty cool sailing in the fog. There were no other boats out so I wasn't worried about that.

There was this one power boat following kind of close and going slow when I first went out. He was staying behind me until we got near the middle of the lake. Then out of no where I guess he decided he just HAD to go in front of me and make these huge waves from him taking off. There were actually breaking waves from this boat. On the 14 I would have been thrashed but on the 16 I literally laughed and barely even rocked. In fact I actually surfed them which was pretty cool.

Loving my 16!