Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some great kayak fishing for largemouth bass action on the Colorado River

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kayak fishing for striped bass on the lower Colorado River

Pretty exciting kayak fishing as well as a great workout!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First one from the new PA 14 Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Back In the Desert
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After a somewhat rough trip down here, we are back on the Colorado River in southwest Arizona looking for largemouth bass. I am not quite in tip top kayak fishing shape because on the way down here, while stopped for a construction zone flagman, a fully loaded semi truck rear ended me, almost killing myself and the construction flagman, destroying my truck and crushing just about everything in it.

I was extremely lucky to not be killed, although I did sustain some lingering injuries. Even worse, the insurance companies are giving me a hard time and I will probably take a financial beating as well. If you think you are covered in case of an accident, you better think again. If you have Progressive vehicle insurance, I beg you to get rid of them and get somebody else.

Anyway, the water levels here on the Colorado watershed are up and down like a yo-yo. The river level can change as much as five or six feet in a few days. Dramatic water level changes definitely put a damper on the fishing action so things have been a bit slow. We've at least managed to get a couple fish on the slow days and got a few decent bass when the fishing has been a little better.

The fishing should pick up when the people in Southern California stop taking so many showers and draining the Colorado River. When the water levels stabilize somewhat, we expect to see the bigger fish come out to play. They gotta eat sometime. So count your blessings, be thankful you are able to go kayak fishing and take it one day at a time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The scenery is always great, but the fishing has been on the slow side due to fluctuating water levels.

Getting a few here and there, mostly in the early morning.

Always looking for the fish...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The largemouth bass fishing on the Columbia River has been very slow lately due to fluctuating river water levels and seasonably low water temperatures. A lot of glum fishermen at the boat launches these days. Most of the fish I've caught have been early in the morning in deeper water, not where you usually find feeding bass. If the fish are deep, it is hard to get them to bite.

It has been windy with a couple considerable rain events that caused flash flooding and left behind a whole lot of sticky mud. Foggy mornings are common in our home waters of the Columbia Gorge, here in the desert southwest they are rare.

Some of the other fish in the river have been more active, like this channel catfish, but even they are not active as usual.

Since the winter weather is pretty bad in some parts of the lower 48, we can't complain too much. What goes on here on BLM land with the government shut down has been interesting, but the fishing should start picking up as the water levels stabilize and the temperature comes up a few degrees.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good Heavens! Glad you made it out of that one!

As I was clicking on the thread, I was actually thinking about your old Toyota and how it fulfilled its purpose well with not a lot of extra fluff. Really sorry to see what happened to it. Looks like you’ve treated yourself with a new Tacoma.

Thanks for keeping the videos coming and I pray your body heals well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pescatoral Pursuit wrote:
Good Heavens! Glad you made it out of that one!

As I was clicking on the thread, I was actually thinking about your old Toyota and how it fulfilled its purpose well with not a lot of extra fluff. Really sorry to see what happened to it. Looks like you’ve treated yourself with a new Tacoma.

Thanks for keeping the videos coming and I pray your body heals well.

Thanks for the positive thoughts. Being hit by a 40 ton truck is quite an experience. Sorry to say the things I've learned about insurance companies, government and money have diminished any hope I had for the future of this country to just about zero.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The fishing here in the southwest USA continues to be challenging due to fluctuating river levels and cold water. Seeing as the mid winter weather in the rest of the country has been pretty bad, it's hard to complain too much. Like they say, the fishing is always good, the catching is not as good sometimes. When it's windy or the fishing sucks, we look around for more places to fish. If you don't need a boat launch ramp, there are a lot more places to fish.

There are numerous places to camp. The camping spots on the water look real good, they look just as good to the hordes of hungry mosquitoes.

When I see my friend's houses and vehicles buried in snow and I'm looking at this, it's nice to catch fish, but not entirely mandatory this time of year.

We are catching some fish, just not as many as we hope for or expect. This is a great fishing spot. If you get skunked, you're shocked.

After a few days off for some Columbia Gorge type wind, we are back on it tomorrow, hoping the water has warmed up a degree or two.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's been in the low 30's in the morning, the water temperature in the Colorado River has been closer to 50° than 60° and there has been rain, mud and flash flooding. Not what most people think of when you say "Arizona desert". Here is a double rainbow caused by a small passing rainstorm just before sunset. Double rainbows are fairly common were we live in the Columbia River Gorge, but something you don't see all the time in the desert southwest.

The cold air is uncomfortable, but the cold water is the real issue. When the water temperature is in the low fifties, bass are not going to be very active so you most likely are not going to catch a lot of fish. When the water is cold, usually the bigger fish move around a bit while the smaller fish are refrigerated. We haven't been catching many fish, but the bass we have caught have been pretty nice fish.

Most of the fishing success has been in the early morning with a few fish here and there for the rest of the day. All the bigger fish early.

The largemouth bass weren't biting but I caught this Colorado River tilapia. They are mainly vegetarians, usually you only get them in the seafood section of the supermarket.

There is significant rain here in the desert southwest today, it's almost 100% certain we won't see a sunset like this later today.

Probably some wind following this rain event but we are back on the water as soon as weather permits.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

What’s the story on the tilapia? In FL they are an invasive, practically choking lakes and waterways, aggressive towards native species, and are difficult to catch on rod and reel.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not sure how the tilapia got into the river, but there are a lot of tilapia and carp in the lower Colorado River, especially the lakes and backwaters. I didn't really catch this tilapia on rod and reel, I reached over the side of the kayak and grabbed it. In Klickitat County, it's known as "hand fishing".

Along with cold temperatures and fluctuating water levels, now there is fire as well...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The largemouth bass fishing was pretty slow until a couple weeks ago when the fish came alive and for a few days, the bass fishing was on fire. Lots of fishing action with plenty of big fish.

Overcast and calm to start the day of kayak fishing

The kayak fishing action started just as the sun was coming up over the desert hills

Hooked into a huge bass at sunrise. Tried to jump immediately but looked too big to get out of the water!

After a solid battle, I got the big bass closer to the kayak. When the fish saw the Hobie, it made another big jump

A big Colorado River largemouth bass. This is why we get up at 4:30AM to go fishing

The fish were on the prowl and looking for a fight

Another nice Colorado River bass

This fish almost jumped into the kayak!

The big bass just kept on comin'

At the end of the day, the lures were chewed up and so was my thumb

The fishing is still good, I'll have more stuff in a few days.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

ronbo613 wrote:

Don’t look now but envy is lurking over your shoulder, lol.

Glad you were in the right place at the right time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We are sitting out an extended windy period, which is killing us, because we know the bass fishing is probably pretty good. We have been doing really well, not off the Richter, but maybe just a step below "on fire".

Weather is getting hot here in the desert southwest, the mornings are just about perfect.

Plenty of kayak fishing action

This back bay on the Colorado River has kicked out some big largemouth bass

The bass around here seem to have a strong desire to fly. Most hookups you can expect at least one big jump.

Not as big as the season's best so far, but can't find a single reason to complain.

We put the last few bass in the kayak as the wind picked up to end another great kayak fishing run.

We are running out of time here in the desert southwest, we are hoping the wind dies so we can get back out there!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next