Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unfortunately, my local bridge offers less than one foot clearance for my TI's mast at either "hump" in the bridge, so a mast extension is out of the question

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was wondering about the batten tangling stuff and saw the interesting solution posted by stingy.
What do u think about cutting the batten and placing a pin with a clip? This should be easily done by anybody without going to the sailmaker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hey I love the spinnaker, it will get tangled
So Matt how do I get one of these upgrades

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:44 am 
Site Admin

Contact your dealer. Would be no charge through our warranty department.

mmiller wrote:
One of the hottest accessories for the Hobie Island is a spinnaker kit. We have made a couple of changes to enhance the ease of use of these great accessories to make them even better.

72020350 - SPINNAKER KIT ADVENTURE ISLAND
72020351 - SPINNAKER KIT TANDEM ISLAND

There is an issue that has come up from time to time. When the sail is not in use, the spinnaker halyard / back stay can get hooked on the mainsail battens when tacking, gybing or when furling the sail. Keeping a bit of tension on the halyard to keep it from drooping and catching the batten ends is critical.

We have done two things to help prevent this from happening. Last year we added a bit of additional height to the mast top swivel base. This was a running change started late last year:

This new enhanced part is available for use with older kits:

79503121 BASE - SPINNAKER MAST ROTATOR $5.00 List

This part raises the mast topper and gives more room for the battens to pass under the halyard.

The following is the latest update and is available for all older kits at no charge. Designer Jim Czarnowski had intended to include a cleat on the aft crossbar at the end of the spinnaker bag (for the spinnaker retrieval line). This cleat is used to lock the snuffed spinnaker within the bag which allows tension to be applied to the halyard. You snuff the spinnaker and cleat the retrieval line. Then tension the halyard without pulling the spinnaker back out of the bag. This keeps the lines from drooping and catching on the battens.

We are now including the following parts in all spinnaker kits:

1 ea 10730021 - CLAMCLEAT STBD BLACK
2 ea 8031032 - SCREW, 10-16x1" SELF-TAP S.S.

New instructions include information about the cleat placement and installation.

New Spinnaker Installation Instructions: https://static.hobiecat.com/item_attachments/Island_Spinnaker_Kit_Instructions.pdf

Both items make for more care free use of the Island Spinnaker Kit.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt
I did contact my dealer, they are not aware of this fix, I gave him the part numbers you supplied,
I suspect they will get it sorted out

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
One of the hottest accessories for the Hobie Island is a spinnaker kit. We have made a couple of changes to enhance the ease of use of these great accessories to make them even better.

72020350 - SPINNAKER KIT ADVENTURE ISLAND
72020351 - SPINNAKER KIT TANDEM ISLAND

There is an issue that has come up from time to time. When the sail is not in use, the spinnaker halyard / back stay can get hooked on the mainsail battens when tacking, gybing or when furling the sail. Keeping a bit of tension on the halyard to keep it from drooping and catching the batten ends is critical.

We have done two things to help prevent this from happening. Last year we added a bit of additional height to the mast top swivel base. This was a running change started late last year:

This new enhanced part is available for use with older kits:

79503121 BASE - SPINNAKER MAST ROTATOR $5.00 List

This part raises the mast topper and gives more room for the battens to pass under the halyard.

The following is the latest update and is available for all older kits at no charge. Designer Jim Czarnowski had intended to include a cleat on the aft crossbar at the end of the spinnaker bag (for the spinnaker retrieval line). This cleat is used to lock the snuffed spinnaker within the bag which allows tension to be applied to the halyard. You snuff the spinnaker and cleat the retrieval line. Then tension the halyard without pulling the spinnaker back out of the bag. This keeps the lines from drooping and catching on the battens.

We are now including the following parts in all spinnaker kits:

1 ea 10730021 - CLAMCLEAT STBD BLACK
2 ea 8031032 - SCREW, 10-16x1" SELF-TAP S.S.

New instructions include information about the cleat placement and installation.

New Spinnaker Installation Instructions: https://static.hobiecat.com/item_attachments/Island_Spinnaker_Kit_Instructions.pdf

Both items make for more care free use of the Island Spinnaker Kit.

That seems like the perfect solution, it would be my first time using a spinnaker kit, any tips?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a kit on order and should arrive in 5 days for my 2013 Hobie tandem.
Any installation tips to make the setup better/easier, etc? Or, just follow the directions?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have found it easier to add a temporary extension (about 8 feet long) between the halyard coming down from the masthead fitting to the head of the spinnaker.

This makes raising the mast easier, as the halyard/backstay remains slack. Once the mast is upright, I unclip the extension, attaching the spinnaker head directly to the halyard

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All,

Just joined the forums and this in my first post.

I have the Spinnaker kit for my TI and have had the same issues as the rest but have found a few things that help.

When gybing, allow a lot of slack in the main sheet, this will allow the sail to fold under the back stay easier.

When tacking, let out the main sheet and fall off a little bit to allow the sail to slide under the back stay, then head up and trim accordingly.

As far as modifications to make, When I installed the kit, I didn't notice the line in the instructions about trimming the top of the large batten to prevent it from catching on the halyard / back stay. This made the biggest difference in preventing tangles for me.

Also, if you don't have the Jam Cleat on the aka yet to maintain tension on the back stay, get one. It's much easier to prevent the halyard from wrapping around the main sail when furling if tension is maintained. Don't over tighten the back stay though as it bends the mast which makes furling much harder.

Lastly, I've seen a few comments and have heard of others who have had issues with the mast topper falling off. After looking at the parts for a little while, I think I identified a way to hold the topper on with minimal effort and adjustment. http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=83602920678669579108

Enjoy,
John

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the post John. I'll be meeting up with you in a couple weeks for the TX200. My first significant snags were in fact sailing in the Tx200 . The only way for me to furl the deployed main once snagged was to stand up and take the mast down, all while moving at a speed of about 6mph and the main sail flailing. It was my welcome to the Tx200. See you soon and let the chaos begin!

Greg

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm currently installing my Spinnaker on my Tandem Island and I have some questions. I'm finding the manual less than helpful.

1. I can't figure out where to mount the cheek block to the hull at the stern of the boat because of the two main sheets running along the hull. It seems if I run the Spinnaker line below the two sheets the line and the cheek block will be in the water. But if I run the Spinnaker line above the sheets it will overlap the sheets at the stern and chafe. Could someone provide a photo or two to show how the line is run and where the block is mounted?

2. Is it OK to pull the Spinnaker into the Snuffer Bag and store it that way or will that damage the Spinnaker?

3. The Spinnaker has two grommets at the tack and came with some line tied to them. What is the extra grommet and line for?

4. The kit came with two flat plastic discs that appear to fit between the swivel cam cleats and the cleat mounts. But the instructions don't show using them. Is this an upgrade and I should install them or are they for some special situation and I don't need them?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All,
I´ve just installed the Spi Kit on my newly purchased TI, need to shorten the battens aswell.

@Dave,
The plastic discs help the cleats rotate. Sorry no. It`s for mountig on flat surface and it prevents the machinescrews from reaching the nuts so dont use.

But I´ve got more Questions.

In a short Trial it seems as if the spi is meant to be handled from the front seat.
What do I need to change to steer from backseat.

Aren`t the rotating Cleats not better installed as far outside as possible, so you dont need
the litte knobs to trimm it away.

Thanks Dave for the answer.

Thanks Bernd

Last edited by Kitebear on Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

In order to operate the Spinnaker from the rear seat I ran my Spinnaker Halyard out the back of the sock, through the pulley mounted on the Aka, and then around a pulley I attached to the rear seat, then back forward. Works great.

I skipped the little knobs and attached a pulley block to the outside of the Akas.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

wxup wrote:
I'm currently installing my Spinnaker on my Tandem Island and I have some questions. I'm finding the manual less than helpful.
4. The kit came with two flat plastic discs that appear to fit between the swivel cam cleats and the cleat mounts. But the instructions don't show using them. Is this an upgrade and I should install them or are they for some special situation and I don't need them?

I´ve just installed mine.
The flat disc seems to be the base if mounting the cleat to flat undergrounds.
If you ad it, the maschinescrews don´t reach the nuts in the other base.

At All:
It seems to me the Spi is meant to be used from the front seat only.

Where do you sit on your TI using that sail?

Sorry for the first reply.

Thanks Bernd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Still looking for answers to my first two questions. Can anyone help me out?

1. I can't figure out where to mount the cheek block to the hull at the stern of the boat because of the two main sheets/cheek blocks running along the hull. It seems if I run the Spinnaker line below the two sheets/blocks the line and the cheek block will be in the water. But if I run the Spinnaker line above the sheets/blocks it will overlap the sheets at the stern and chafe. Could someone provide a photo or two to show how the line is run and where the block is mounted?

2. Is it OK to pull the Spinnaker into the Snuffer Bag and store it that way or will that damage the Spinnaker?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next