Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A you-tuber and Hobie fan posted a video of his 2019 Outback with a surf launch in ~2.5 ft seas, and a brief trip out which he ended short.

He had a number of comments but there were two major issues. First, the nose of the boat really gets under the waves. Second, the boat takes on a fair amount of water which needed to be pumped out. Maybe this is due to the front hatch seal?

I am curious to know what Hobie thinks about this from a product, usage, and design perspective.

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZWZAkyyhYU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:22 am 
Site Admin

If it leaks there is a problem with the forward hatch seal.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

those look like "normal" or even "good" conditions for us fishing the ocean off of Oregon. lol

looks to me like he took on a bunch of water going through the surf and was pedaling an overloaded kayak the whole outing. he should have noticed the extra weight and returned to resolve the issue.

my 2019 Outback hasn't leaked a drop inside it yet after 2 lake outings that included wind waves/white caps/spray. I am expecting this to be an excellent ocean boat in 3' to 4' swells...but making sure it is sealed up tight and not leaking is a critical safety item. cheers, roger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow, I saw the same video as I am looking to purchase a 2019 or maybe even 2018 outback soon. Getting wet doesn't bother me at all but having to worry about leaks and the kayaks ability to keep water out does. Especially offshore. All the updates don't mean a thing if without safety. After seeing the video I am curious to know if Hobie would consider the 2018 outback to be a better offshore kayak due to the bow design? I understand that the 2019 is an overall better package but that new bow has got me thinking twice about offshore performance vs. the 2018. Any further thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tito27 wrote:
Wow, I saw the same video as I am looking to purchase a 2019 or maybe even 2018 outback soon. Getting wet doesn't bother me at all but having to worry about leaks and the kayaks ability to keep water out does. Especially offshore. All the updates don't mean a thing if without safety. After seeing the video I am curious to know if Hobie would consider the 2018 outback to be a better offshore kayak due to the bow design? I understand that the 2019 is an overall better package but that new bow has got me thinking twice about offshore performance vs. the 2018. Any further thoughts?

I don't trust the poster of that video. It smells fishy to me. Maybe he's legit.

Not a lot of rocket science here for a hatch. Simply check it. It's just formed plastic. Look at the clearances and make sure you don't have anything interfering with it. To me it looked like the video person had lines running around the hatch. Youtube has a few vids of simply dropping a camera in the hatch, closing it up and filming pouring a hose around the hatch. One can easily tell what's causing a real leak. What causes one can be deformation of the plastic due to user error, heat, manufacturing and assembly variances etc. Adjusting how a person latches the hatch or trimming here and there etc would probably solve the issue.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

tito27 wrote:

all I can say is that after owning a 2012 PA12, then a 2012 Oasis that I ran solo in the ocean many times, plus an i11s that I have also taken on the ocean off Oregon, I bought the 2019 Outback specifically to fish/crab from on saltwater (bays/tidewaters and offshore), most of the time with my dog on the back. nothing about my initial outings have toned down my excitement about this new boat.

the wind waves I have been in on a large lake are being split nicely by the bow design and the boat is fast (even with 185# + 85# on it) and the steering is tight. I like the lower sides very much, means less push from wind.

cheers, roger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A couple weeks ago I put in at the wagon wheel in Venice, Louisiana and returned with 20+ mph wind in my face and 2-3’ whitecaps with 3 miles to go and never took on water. Lots of water came over the front and went out the drive hole. Saw his video with the 20 lb bag of ice on the front and looked like he won the rookie prize pack and hadn’t weaned off some clutter yet. Not sure how many batteries he was sporting for that lowrance under the front hatch either. And yes, I got too much stuff too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Reminds me of when I bought my new 2015 and discovered that water entered though the front hatch anytime water came over the bow. My 2010 never took on water no matter the conditions I took it out in. Well anyway Hobie dragged there feet and denied any problem with the front hatch. I posted here and other places to get the word out. I fixed the problem myself with a gasket glued to the existing gasket. Well the next yrs models all came with new thicker gaskets for there front hatches. Hey Hobie have you not learned from the past you have a problem now again. Please admit and fix this problem and become again the company you used to be.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll start with a few observations ...

First, I would not call the conditions in the video "bad". Challenging, perhaps, but in a fun way. I don't think twice about sailing my older Outback in these conditions; I actually look forward to days like this.

Second, he clearly has a leak in the front hatch. I don't know if this a widespread problem or not, but some responsibility lies with the owner/operator to check the most obvious point of failure in rough conditions. I've owned six Hobie kayaks which have all seen conditions worse than what is shown in the video and never taken on water like that. I have found two poorly seated or deformed seals that I either fixed myself or had the dealer fix. Could Hobie do a better job designing and building that element of their kayaks? Probably, but it's like complaining about the chain coming off a new bike; if you can't analyze and fix that yourself, you don't have any business being out there.

Third, he was overloaded for that boat in those conditions. As much as I love 10-15 mph winds and two-foot+ seas, I'm not going out with anything close to that much weight in terms of gear. I'm reminded of a motorcycle ad from the 1980s making fun of the Goldwing. It showed a ridiculously overdone bike with the ad copy: If you want all the comforts of home, stay there. That jokes doesn't perfectly apply here, but helps illustrate my point that just because you can fit something on an Outback does not mean you should go out in challenging conditions with all that gear/weight.

All that said, as someone who sails my Outback first and fishes from it second, I'm an odd duck, but I'm wondering if this version of the Outback has some tradeoffs that make it less of a sailer and less able to handle rougher conditions? It seems to ride lower in the water and I'm not sure about that rear end/rudder for sailing.

I'm sure this is an awesome boat for lots of folks and for lots of uses, but I may be on my last Outback.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... e3#p306913

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I watched the video of the MDLR when it had few views and in fact the sea was not too bad either. I've faced worse conditions with the three outbacks I've had.

The hull of Outback 2019 has changed radically. Its larger stern, with greater fluctuation, and with a much sharper keel and of less fluctuation, mainly when sailing in favor of the wind with bigger waves, when the stern rises in the waves the bow sinks, leaving the kayak without control. We had already seen this in Compass sailing in ripples, it seems that it is dancing rumba.

Also in this sudden and strong bowing of the bow, the bow hatch is forced upwards and the water penetrates abundantly into the hull.

If the water invasion were the big problem, not the directional loss, an automatic bilge pump would solve the problem, but the critic is the loss of control.

I love Hobie and his products, but my OBK 2015 will be the last OBK. I'll consider Revolution 13 or 16 to replace it.

ex Outback 2014
ex Outback 2013

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:17 am 
Site Admin

Announced to dealers today. We added a lid gasket to all 2019 Outback production.

Quote:
For 2019 Outbacks built prior to this production change, we created a kit:

72020119 2019 Hobie Outback Front Hatch Gasket Kit. This is at NO Cost.

The kit will include instructions on how to install the gasket. We also have an instructional video that covers the installation. This video will also be accessible on the Outback product support page on Hobie.com on Friday.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we worked to solve this issue.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)