Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all.

I am trying to install the hook2 7 tripleshot in my new 2019 outback. The instructions in the owners manual are not clear enough for me. Has anyone done this and maybe could help me with what I am missing?

I have the guardian shield off, I installed the scoop nose. The transducer fits through that and then the mounting holes stick up into the inside. The hobie manual says that the transducer will go on the outside, but that for the rest of the install, follow the directions for the skimmer style.

I dont understand the skimmer style. It says that it should mount to posts inside the cavity. It then shows an illustration that does not make sense to me.

has anyone installed this transducer? I could really use some help or a picture of the inside of a completed guardian shield/mount.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This might lead you down the right path.

https://youtu.be/3_IRBDy_tXg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks man. I saw that one. Unfortunately the totalscan transducer mounts differently than the hook2 7 tripleshot. At least from what I can see.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I agree, the instructions are not good. In the end, it isn't too difficult and the Hobie pass through gaskets are great, there is a double one that fits both the Lowrance cables perfectly.

I ended up using 2 nylon ties to keep my transducer very secure, they can be seen in this image if you look carefully.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

rogerdodger wrote:
I agree, the instructions are not good. In the end, it isn't too difficult and the Hobie pass through gaskets are great, there is a double one that fits both the Lowrance cables perfectly.

I ended up using 2 nylon ties to keep my transducer very secure, they can be seen in this image if you look carefully.

Did you end up using those two "clips" that hook unto the upright posts on the underside of the guardian? how is the transducer secured inside, or is it just the zip ties holding it on?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Forrestfortheseas wrote:

Did you end up using those two "clips" that hook unto the upright posts on the underside of the guardian? how is the transducer secured inside, or is it just the zip ties holding it on?

it is secured on the inside basically as the instructions suggest, as best I could follow them. but that left too much play and wiggle in the transducer, so I added the first zip tie in existing slots and drilled holes to add the second zip tie down at the loose end of the transducer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you. Did you use the friction gaskets that came with the lowrance? Or did you just use the clips directly attached to the transducer?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's a quick video of what the completed install looks like. You should be able to pause it to see how the parts go together. I recommend drilling 2 sets of holes on either side of the transducer and using zip ties to cinch it up snug to the shield. https://youtu.be/0JTcQQCqDGU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

MPromnitz wrote:
Here's a quick video of what the completed install looks like. You should be able to pause it to see how the parts go together. I recommend drilling 2 sets of holes on either side of the transducer and using zip ties to cinch it up snug to the shield. https://youtu.be/0JTcQQCqDGU

Perfect. Thanks man!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

1: Remove the adapter plate at the front of the Guardian and replace it with the scooped transducer guard (included in the small parts package that comes with your new kayak):

2: Feed the transducer cable through the opening in the scooped plate, and use the parts configuration as shown in the drawing below to mount to the vertical post on the inside of the Guardian. Notice the extension tabs and hardware (included in the small parts package with your new kayak) used to extend forward off of the transducer mounting post to reach the transom mount built into your TripleShot. Referencing the Skimmer Style transducer instructions will guide you through installing the extension tabs to the post. Fasteners and friction washers to be used with the extension tabs can be found inside the small parts package:

3: Secure the rear of the transducer with the zip tie included with your TripleShot for a flush fit to the bottom of Guardian.

4. Be sure the retraction feature of the Guardian plate is activated by removing the screws along the frame of Guardian. Additionally, the retraction control line will need to be tied to the center of the bridal. Note the arrow indicating the direction the control line is routed around the pulley underneath the scupper cover plate:

5. Run the transducer cable through the scupper above Guardian and back into the hull through the 3-way plug, secure the scupper cover plate, reinstall Guardian to the brass inserts in the bottom of the hull and carry out the remainder of the fishfinder installation.

Click this link for an online copy of the full installation manual: https://static.hobiecat.com/digital_ass ... 1535132783

Detailed installation video will be posted soon to our YouTube channel.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you!

The friction washers, Are those the foam ones that came with the kayak? They look to have ridges in the photo, and I do not have any that look like that. I assume the foam ones would work, would they not?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The ones included with your Hobie are a nylon reinforced rubber washer, and yes they should provide enough friction to prevent again rotation. What the drawing shows are two pieces that come with your Lowrance. When mounting a TripleShot, I'd recommend using the rubber washers included with your Hobie owner's packet, and zip tying around the transducer for extra rigidity and security.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for the pictures and video. This was a pretty easy install once I saw them.