Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here are some pics I have shared on Google drive.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... DLs_SQXawM

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for posting the photos, I will be sure to check mine out when I pick them up.
I'm sure Hobie will take care of your issues.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I got a few Outbacks 2019 and all the rudder blades look like that. I also have compasses with a similar rudder, but they do not have this annoying problem with the sharp turn left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think there is a need to add a BOA system like the Pro Anglers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well I took my Outback to back to the dealer to fix the problem. They came up with a heat treatment to straighten the rudder and get the bends out of it as suggested by Hobie. They heated it up and placed it between 2 carbon fiber plates clamped together and let it cool. On pick up it did look better than previous but it was a bit hard to say. Took the boat out last week for a fish and trial run of the FIX. Unfortunately it did very little to fix the issue.

I emailed the dealer with the results and am waiting feedback. According to his reply from Hobie Quote " all the kayaks will turn if your hand is not on the steering while under way". The dealer indicated that's maybe not quite rite.

I thank that's a false statement as my Compass runs as straight as an arrow without having to hold the steering.

Another thing I noticed is that the rudder and the keel of the boat don't line up centrally. The Rudder when set straight is right on the very edge of the keel. Looking from the back of the boat that is. We checked the other new stock on the dealer floor and they are all the same. Would be interested to see if boats in the US have the same configuration. I would have thought the rudder should line up directly in the middle of the keel??

Regards

Rotelman.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For what it is worth I spoke to Hobie Tech Support about my rudder today since I was having the same problem with the rudder going full left or right if I let go off the handle while underway my first trip out since buying it a couple days ago, they told me that all I needed to do was loosen the four screws on the rudder drum, pull all four lines taunt and tighten the screws back down snugly. They said normally they get calls about the handles/rudder being to tight so normally from the factory they are a little on the loose side, ti still being cold here I was warned that once it warms up that it make seem too tight and that I may have to make another adjustment to loosen them back up because the kayak material is very prone to expanding and shrinking based on outside ambient air and water temps.....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the same issue, I get a hard right rudder whenever I let go of the handle. I’ll try what the Hobie techs told you and see if it helps. Thanks for starting this conversation.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have just tried my 2019 Outback in cold water 7 degrees Celsius and the kayak behaves exactly as shown on the clip on page 1. It will turn left ONLY within couple of seconds and will not follow straight line, always pushes to the left. I have had 2013 PA12 and 2014 TI beforehand and from this thread I see it is common on 2019 Outback. My 2019 outback rudder is thin and warped as well. Compared to PA rudder this seems to be made of thin and different plastic.
I have called my Hobie dealer immediately after my first 6 hour fishing trip wanting to go back to my beloved PA....
Having constantly hand on the steering while fishing is not a solution for me. I believe the kayak should keep direction hands off for at least 10-15 sec depending on the conditions of course, before changing direction.
Thankfully the Hobie dealer where I am is always on top of things so here is the solution for my personal case:
He has reworked PA big rudder (thicker and steady plastic) to fit to shape of the outback. I have done immediate test on water (10-12 degrees C) and this time it would keep straight line just like I expected.
Here is a picture of my 2019 Outback rudder - brand new and with PA big rudder rework: https://photos.app.goo.gl/w3ZwU159HTidwhnL7

Hope this helps others, also I hope Hobie, as seen in the past, will improve and make it from harder (and straight) materials.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone,

Recently purchased a 2019 Outback and ran into this issue my second trip out. First trip: I was able to take my hands off the steering controls and the kayak would continue to track straight, without issues. Now when I take my hands off the controls, it veers hard left. I do agree with the temperature expansion and constrictions. My kayak only veers hard left when it’s cooler out (air and water). The steering controls also have slack and can be “jiggled” an 1/8 inch or so. When it warms up, the steering magically stays in place while in motion and the controls are snug with no jiggling.

After reading some of the detailed comments here, I went outside and found the lower portion of my rudder is warped to the left. My Hobie dealer told me the cold/warm expansion/constriction is a real thing. They also said I need to be aware of body and gear weight distribution too. Could to much weight on the right side, cause the kayak to veer left?

Has anyone tried adjusting the steering cables and seen a difference in cold to warm temp changes? Have you tried any other fixes?

Tight lines!
-Nick

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a 2019 outback yesterday and have the same problem. First trip out was fine, then this morning, I have sharp turn to the left. Rudder is warped. Temp on first run was 95 degrees, them on warped second run was 68 degrees. I will try it again this afternoon at 95 degrees to see if it warped back....but this is just not acceptable and a replacement rudder will probably do the same thing. I am very surprised Hobie hasn’t addressed this common problem.

I am going ask dealer for another rudder but don’t expect this to fix the problem long term.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, there is another version of the hard a-port turning of the Hobie Outback 2019 with the new drop down rudder in this forum. While the warped rudder and loose lines may be part of this, I experienced this and tightened the central phillips screw over the rudder mechanism (snug) and this worked for my next outing.

Another person did the same thing to the same effect.

I still would like Hobie to respond to this as this screw seems to not maintain tightness and over-tightening can probably lead to trouble.

Also, does anyone have information on the BOA device people have talked about? I plan to do a rear hatch mod in order to have better access to the business end of the 2019 Outback in terms of steerage and would like to put one of those in if available. Temps where I live go from 100-40 so lots of expansion/contraction possibility.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had this issue, too. I tightened the central screw on the rudder mechanism and that fixed the free turning. Don’t over tighten.

In checking the steering lines I also discovered they were incorrectly routed causing a clunking noise when turned fully one direction. Untied and routed correctly and no more clunk noise (which probably would have caused wear on the line.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I found a solution to the problem of spontaneous turn of the new Hobie Outback. To do this I added one 84507881 BOA STEERING LINE TENSION and one 81450001 CHEEK BLOCK.
The control is easily accessible from a sitting position and work like a charm!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I found an easy fix to increase the rudder line tension if you have a rear hatch installed, simple move the steering line tube and tuck it over one of the screws holding the rear hatch in. There are 4 steering line tubes, 2 on each side, so move as many as you want to increase it. I tried moving all 4 and it’s too tight, moving only 1 works fine for me.

I have photos on my phone but don’t know how to upload into the forum :?:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

whiskey299 wrote:
I have photos on my phone but don’t know how to upload into the forum :?:

We don't host images or files on our servers. Images need to be uploaded to a public image host site and linked to the forum post.

Image FAQ: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12574

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)