Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Okay, so you come back to the beach, and are ready to put the cart back on. Is there any way to do it without taking off the AMAs and mast, unloading everything, and turning the AI on its side. I tried putting it on in deeper water, but the balloon tires bob around under water and it's very difficult. Am I missing a method here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With Island in ~2' water.

Remove balloon wheels from cart, reach under and place cart in scupper holes, attach tires; flotation of tires will hold cart in place until you roll it up on to the shore.

If you want to make sure you don't lose the cart frame after removing tires (it will sink), attach enough pool noodles to the frame to give it enough independent floatation. This really helps cause the frame will then 'stay' up under the boat & in the scuppers while you attach wheels.

When launching. Put cart on first after unloading from car by tipping boat on side, load all gear, akas/amas, seat, you can even put in drive and bungee to up position. Roll to the water & reverse the above process.

I have pool noodle on the bottom bar and 2 small 1" pieces on the left & right of the top bar. The 1" pieces on top bar serve another purpose in matching the contour of the Island bottom to the cart - stops the dreaded dent in the hull.

Yakaholic

Post subject: Good solution
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Good stuff. Thanks for the help. I'll do as suggested. The pool noodles are the answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Longfellow!

Instead of the Hobie cart for use on the AI, which requires turning the kayak on its side to insert and remove from the scupper holes, I use an end-cart made by Paddleboy. The kayak can always be in a deck up position with the end-cart. See Paddleboy.com.

It's worked out very well for me. It even makes it easier to load on top my Subaru Forester, because I'm lifting only one/half the kayak weight. I leave the end cart attached to the AI even when transporting on the car, so it's very easy to unload and the cart protects the stern when loading and unloading. I always carry the AI deck side up with the bow forward and use a Thule rack and roller.

The Paddleboy cart also folds up and I think will fit in the forward hatch of the AI, although I've never tried it. Some of the Paddleboy carts come with pneumatic tires which is what I use.
This just might be the answer to your problem of carting the AI.

Punch aka Norman Ernsting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks. I'll check out the Paddleboy carts. This seems to be a concern of a lot of us with AIs so once we find the best solution it will help everyone.

Post subject: Standard Cart
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:49 am 
Site Admin

You can also get the Hobie standard cart. The current standard cart (gray spoke wheels) has plenty of capacity for the AI, does not have the wheel float issue, so it is easier to get in and out. I do it in shallow water.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As Matt says the standard works well on a hard surface. But on beach sand moving it is well, a beach. So went to a strap on cart, Hobie has a heavy-duty strap-on with a wider tire. Since I have a standard already I opted for a roleeze strap-on cart. One a wider stance which is more stable with amas on, two you can adjust the balance point which helps with a long haul to the truck. And the balloon tires are are much better in sand.