Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,

I am considering the purchase of a 2016 Hobie Outback and have a question for you guys. It is a rental version w/o the reverse drive (which doesn't seem like a huge deal to me), however:

a) assuming it is in at minimum good condition, is $1500 a good price for this kayak? It comes with no bells and whistles. As mentioned, it was used as a rental, so I don't really know what exact kind of condition it is in today.

b) I am primarily buying this to fish in. Again, provided that it comes with no attachments or extras, what do I need to be prepared for in terms of investments to make this kayak fishable? If it helps, I would love to be able to troll in this kayak on relatively big water (Lake St. Clair & Lake Huron next to Michigan). I know that this somewhat depends on the user, but, if you guys have any thoughts about what types of things I would want for my kayak (mounts, rod holders, etc.) to fish please let me know. Or, if you have a rough estimate of what it would cost (like ballpark $300) to make it fishable, please let me know.

c) Finally, if you have any other feedback about buying a used hobie, specifically a rental, please let me know!

Thanks a bunch.

Eddy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Eddy, welcome to the forum.
You can find pricing for comps in the "For Sale" sections of this and several other local outdoor forums (Great Lakes Kayak Anglers, or Michigan Sportsman come to mind) as well as Craig's List.
Your other questions about gear and outfitting depend on what species you are targeting. Trolling for walleye is a different game than trolling for salmon or lake trout on Lk Huron or musky on Lk St Clair. I troll a lot on Lk MI and have "many" hundreds of $ tied up in downrigger, combo GPS/fish finder, heavy duty rods & reels, rod holders, collapsable net, insulated catch storage, etc.
I also own both a 2016 Outback and a 2016 PA14. I only occasionally troll from the Outback due to less stability and FAR less storage for gear and catch than the PA14 provides. Instead, I choose my Outback days on the big lake a lot more critically (seldom more than 2 miles offshore, avoid winds of > 9 mph where cresting whitecaps tend to form) and do a lot of jigging instead. A good fish finder is essential for jigging ($350 or so).
Just my $0.02, but for bass, pike, perch & walleye in near-shore locations on calm days, the Outback will be great fun. If you are serious about trolling offshore deep water on Lk Huron for larger predator gamefish, I would advise you to be looking for a used PA14 instead.
Best of luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jim, thanks for all the feedback. I would love to get a PA14, but they seem a little out of my price range, when it's all said and done (budgeting for about $2000 with this Outback, I'm guessing a PA would push me over $3000 at minimum - could be wrong).

With that being said, I would LOVE to get out and troll for some bigger predator fish (musky, trout/salmon) but it's certainly not something I'm experienced in and at this rate would not try it on my own. Walleye is probably more what I had in mind, which, depending on the time of year you don't have to be super far off shore to do. So, for now, the Outback might be a little more doable. If I come across the right PA, though, maybe I will pull the trigger.

I will keep looking around though. At minimum, do you know what I need to buy/spend to have the necessary rod holders for trolling? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

eddymoney wrote:
At minimum, do you know what I need to buy/spend to have the necessary rod holders for trolling? Thanks.

I would recommend the Hobie Adjustable Rod Holder Extender. These list for about $65 each. Ouch, but they will slide right into the existing molded-in rod holders on the Outback and the included mounting straps and hull fasteners are strong enough to tangle with big fish. They can also be quickly removed for recreational touring. There are many other solutions available from Scotty but most of these will require you to permanently mount a rodholder base or track system to your hull.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jim_MI wrote:
eddymoney wrote:
At minimum, do you know what I need to buy/spend to have the necessary rod holders for trolling? Thanks.

I would recommend the Hobie Adjustable Rod Holder Extender. These list for about $65 each. Ouch, but they will slide right into the existing molded-in rod holders on the Outback and the included mounting straps and hull fasteners are strong enough to tangle with big fish. They can also be quickly removed for recreational touring. There are many other solutions available from Scotty but most of these will require you to permanently mount a rodholder base or track system to your hull.

Thanks, Jim, much appreciated.

If you catch wind of anybody selling a Hobie Outback (preferably newer model) in the MI area please feel free to let me know. Angler for that matter as well, but it is probably too far out of my price range.