Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have 2018 revolution and problem is Vantage seat bar wont move up or down. First time took to dealer who said never saw that and sprayed and jimmied it many times (like for 20 minutes) before it seemingly loosened up and then worked. Now it happended again (3 weeks later after every day use). For past year only used in freshwater but for past month have been in the salt where I rinse with fresh rather causally after each use. So lately I leave seat bar in down position (which is where I like it) and dont move it.

Going to dealer is time consuming and afraid it will keep recurring so wondering
1) Should I just spray with lubricant and jimmy the bar thing like dealer did?
2) Does it seem like it something more than just the bar thing freezing up cause of whatever (grit, salt etc)?
3) Does it make sense to just leave it down position since I never use it in any other position other than I always moved up after use since dealer told me up was easier to install seat...but I found its just as easy to insert seat in fully down position. Does everyone else think up position is significantly easer to insert and remove seat?
4) Is it better to use in up or down position or is it a matter of preference...I like down since I fell more stable. I only used up when it was stuck in up position (before dealer fixed) and at first it seemed nice but ocne I started catching fish the leaning over to release fish seemed dicey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you like it in one position why worry. I like mine in the up position but occasionally use it one notch down as well.

I did find that seat install is definitely easier in the up position.
~JOE~

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Are you trying to move it with the seat in or out?
Do you know you have to roll it up and down?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

yakking wrote:
Are you trying to move it with the seat in or out?
Do you know you have to roll it up and down?

Both. Originally I was trying with seat in. Dealer then showed me how to move up and down without the seat in. Problem is the black round thing (not sure what its called) on the bar holding the seat will not budge so cannot move it and roll it.

I have since rinsed and sprayed (with lube) for 10 minutes and finally got it to move but suspect it will happen again...or maybe not since I am inclined to never try to move it again other than I am now curious how paddling in higher positions will feel especially in current and hitting rocks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:20 am 
Site Admin

When you pull the lever a pin is retracted which releases the bar to roll up pr down in the track, so it would appear that some corrosion or debris are prohibiting the pin from functioning. Rinse and lubrication is the answer

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Have had this issue when I stored my TI out in the weather. I think rust is the issue. You have to hit the sliding collar with a soft mallet to loosen it up. You will break the plastic seat lever trying to unlock it. As I recall, there is no easy way to disassemble and clean it up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

Corrosion or salt build up between the slider and the tube it slides on. Try direct pressure on the slider, penetrating oil maybe.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I disassemble the lot and removed from kayak. Had to remove one side rack. Mine was actually creaking a lot. That made it easier to hold bar vertical and allow spray lube to penetrate down shaft more thoroughly. I leave mine attached to kayak 100% of time

On another note I find yak more stable with bar in part way up position rather than lowest (revo 16). It gives more bracing to back of thighs keeping you in your seat when it pitches forward. Your COG is a factor of rear height, not front. Also raising front bar allows seat to further recline backwards, useful in following seas and shore waves.