Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings,
My name is Captain Erik. We're in the business of kayak fishing charters. We are one step away from adding two more Hobie Pro Angler 17ts to our kayak fishing fleet. Transporting these vessels is the biggest challenge. I have reached out to Trailex and two of my local hobie dealers and it seems to be stumping them. Ideally I want to be able to haul both vessels with a small winch (that can pull both boats into the cradles) and lockable gear box. I am leaning towards an aluminum trailer because of how happy I am with the current Trailex trailer for our 2015 PA17T. Furthermore, our towing vehicle is an all wheel drive Subaru. The Hobie Double Double doesn't appear to have the right configuration to accommodate the PA17T cradles. Stacking the vessels is out of the question for time and rigging capabilities.

Questions for the community:

Is anyone else hauling two Hobie PA17ts?
Has anyone else had Trailex build a custom hauling set up?
Have your switched from an aluminum trailer to a galvanized trailer? (pros/cons?)
What is your experience having a custom trailer built?

Thank you in advance for your time and attention.

Capt. Erik Stevens

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Contact Trailex... They can configure a trailer to carry two.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for the response. Do you have a number? So far trailex has been extremely slow to respond. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I tried to post a photo of my trailer but not seeing that option. I used a galvanized boat trailer that was design for hauling a 17' flat bottom boat that was pretty wide. I added 2 sets of 4" pvc tubes that are 12' long each and carry our 2 kayaks including my PA14 with ease. It would easily haul 2 PA17T's. I don't have a winch as the kayaks slide up the pvc tubes so easy when loading. I just attached a long lead rope to the front of the kayak, push them off the boat ramp until they are behind the trailer and pull them right up on the pvc tubes. May add a winch later but this set up works great for me. Hopefully I can add the photo at some point.

Tight lines!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:58 am 
Site Admin

Trailex.com

Phone: 800-282-5042

You likely would be buying through a local authorized dealer.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A tandem sea-do trailer is another option. They are wide enough to carry two PA's side by side.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was able to speak with Ken at trailex and he informed me that Trailex has yet to configure a trailer set-up for 2 PA17Ts. However, after chatting a bit about my needs he took my number and says he will contact me back. I’ll keep this thread updated as to the time/results of what Trailex comes up with.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tom Kirkman wrote:
A tandem sea-do trailer is another option. They are wide enough to carry two PA's side by side.

Interesting suggestion. I will look into that while I wait for contact back from Trailex. Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Trailex.com

Phone: 800-282-5042

You likely would be buying through a local authorized dealer.

I visited two local dealers and they both snatched their heads and gave me the same 800 number. I will post updates when and if I hear back from Ken about this matter.

Thank you for your replies :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

my dealer in Oregon for my TI just made a trailer out of a 14ft galv boat trailer. They used 1" square tubing as cross bars and mounted them to the trailer with adjustable bunk brackets. they then screwed in the Hobie cradles. I see no reason why you couldn't do something similar, maybe use a bit longer trailer or slightly wider. Mine is based off of a King trailer, but EZ-loader makes a very similar trailer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Officially 1 week and no response from Trailex. I’ll reach out again and post the result.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Triton makes an aluminum 4 place PWC trailer. Two wide with two sets of bunks inline on each side. Would be long enough as most big PWC are about as wide as the 17T and would definitely be long enough. WCIV is the model. Adjustable bunks and can be optioned with winches and bow posts on each side.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

bigbear17t wrote:
Triton makes an aluminum 4 place PWC trailer. Two wide with two sets of bunks inline on each side. Would be long enough as most big PWC are about as wide as the 17T and would definitely be long enough. WCIV is the model. Adjustable bunks and can be optioned with winches and bow posts on each side.

Thanks for the info! I'll look into that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I squeaky wheeled Trailex and they say they have a build, however the "testing" has yet to be completed. They do not have an official price yet, but Ken @ Trailex says he will contact me once those details have been sorted. Since this has taken so long, I have reached out to trailer makers locally and one shop is excited to make the build. I may go that route. I'll keep this thread updated.

Thanks for the support Hobie Homies.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Also look at the trailers from Aluma which are made for two jetski watercraft and have adjustable bunks and two winches with everything adjustable, including the winch location. The price for my Aluma went up 20% overnight thanks to concerns about the Trump tax on aluminum imports from Canada.