Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We recently purchased two mirages along with the cover and rail case. We're concerned about scratches and I'd like tips on how to avoid them. Something this expensove should be able to withstand normal use wothout scratching, but I'm nervous that osn't the case. Any advice on how to keep them looking new is appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I found that process is key. Plan out your loading and unloading method. This applies to home storage as well as at the launch spot.

Everything from placing it in the bag, removing/loading the cart, where you lay it down, etc,etc.... Sounds silly and so simple, however I found that I had no set process at home. I just "winged it"

I've been using mine for over a year now and launch frequently at a rough concrete ramp and have zero issues. I just go slow and avoid bumping into things/docks/ramps/rocks. I really don't see how I would sustain deep scratches outside of hitting something or laying it down on a rocky surface. All of which you wouldn't do with a high end epoxy paddle board. Most of the issues I have read all relate to folks laying it on docks and hitting things. Best of luck and enjoy the board!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thabk you so much for the tips! I just transported it for the first time and it got two noticable scratches from just resting it on the sand as I moved it off the car. Yikes this thing scratches way too easy! I put on the rail guard kit and bought the bag too. I hope that helps. And I'll have to come up with a good process as you've suggested - that should help a lot.

lt is weird that hobie says these chips are normal because it's a high end finish. You can literally scratch it with a fingernail, so it's clearly not a high end finish. It would be a lot easier to deal with if they were just upfront about it.