Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm considering pulling the trigger on a Torqueedo for my PA14. At nearly 2 grand, I want to make sure it's a good investment that will hold up. I don't mind spending a good coin on something that is built to last, but I've read a handful of posts from people online who have experienced issues with their Torqueedo which has me concerned. In addition, I wish the product had a longer warranty, but that's just me.

For those of you with Torqueedo's, what has your experience been? Anyone here who has owned their for a long time and can speak to the reliability of the product?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

First, they have a 2 year warranty which is more than most of the engines. I have a couple of Torqeedo’s and 1 is 8 years old. I had 1 problem and it was fixed and back to me in a little over a week at no cost to me. I know many many people that have them for years without problems.

But like any thing, there can be problems. Torqeedo did have some concerns with servicing at dealerships but now they ask that they send them to the hq service facility and there have been very few unresolved problems since implementing this. In addition, If you do have concerns that are not resolved then please contact me and let me try. I have helped several people and they are satisfied. Torqeedo also put together the Torqeedo team who can also reach out for you. Torqeedo really trying to make their customers happy.

I have owned and used electric motors on boats for over 50 years and used most of the different ones over the decades on electric only lakes. The best one I have ever used is the Torqeedo. Of course that is my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Memory Maker wrote:
First, they have a 2 year warranty which is more than most of the engines. I have a couple of Torqeedo’s and 1 is 8 years old. I had 1 problem and it was fixed and back to me in a little over a week at no cost to me. I know many many people that have them for years without problems.

But like any thing, there can be problems. Torqeedo did have some concerns with servicing at dealerships but now they ask that they send them to the hq service facility and there have been very few unresolved problems since implementing this. In addition, If you do have concerns that are not resolved then please contact me and let me try. I have helped several people and they are satisfied. Torqeedo also put together the Torqeedo team who can also reach out for you. Torqeedo really trying to make their customers happy.

I have owned and used electric motors on boats for over 50 years and used most of the different ones over the decades on electric only lakes. The best one I have ever used is the Torqeedo. Of course that is my opinion.

Appreciate the feedback, and I've seen you around here before with a ton of helpful information on the Torqeedo's so I do take your opinion into account pretty heavily.

The 2 year warranty is longer than most, but I just have a fear of the unit crapping out or something after 3-4 years. I don't want to spend a ton of money on my Kayak...It might as well be a Boat at that point. :D

If you don't mind me asking, what was the problem you had with that 8 year motor. Did they repair it outside of the warranty?

Rumor has it too that the newer units (After 2015) have a bit more quality to the build. Not sure if this is true or not. This may be related to the O-Ring issue when the fishing line got caught up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought mine in 2013 and have had zero issues. I’m still on my original battery V2 that still holds a full charge according to the charge meter on the control handle. I did buy a new battery this year as a backup. I followed the instructions on storing battery for long term and running it until motor stopped running once a year then put a 50 percent charge for storage.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the Hobie Evolve version purchased 3 years ago. It is mounted on the rudder of an Oasis. We use the motor every trip and have had no issues. The range wasn’t that great given we often fight current, so I purchased the 915w 1416-00 battery and no longer have range anxiety.

Peter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rubber_duckie_ wrote:
Memory Maker wrote:

Appreciate the feedback, and I've seen you around here before with a ton of helpful information on the Torqeedo's so I do take your opinion into account pretty heavily.

The 2 year warranty is longer than most, but I just have a fear of the unit crapping out or something after 3-4 years. I don't want to spend a ton of money on my Kayak...It might as well be a Boat at that point. :D

If you don't mind me asking, what was the problem you had with that 8 year motor. Did they repair it outside of the warranty?

Rumor has it too that the newer units (After 2015) have a bit more quality to the build. Not sure if this is true or not. This may be related to the O-Ring issue when the fishing line got caught up.

There was a screw in the engine that backed out and the engine wouldn’t run. It was the beginning of year 2. It was within the warranty.

Yes ....... they strengthened the o rings so there is less problems with water intrusion problems caused by that. That said, you still have to be careful so you don’t get line in the prop because line will chew up any seal. They also ask that all 403’s be sent to hq. They have also bent over backwards to make their owners happy where they can.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bought my unit late 2013. Use in drive well. Overall I love the unit, but I have had some problems which Torqeedo service shop in Crystal Lake, IL has handled very well over time.

2014...Motor failed (wouldn't run). Eventually had to send to Torqeedo service shop who replaced the motor under warranty. Was told the shaft seals were incorrectly assembled at the factory which allowed salt water intrusion which led to a PCB [power control board] failure.
At the same time, I was told the throttle was defective & it was also replaced under warranty.
Unsolicited, they also sent in the return shipment a spare motor skeg & a spare propeller...a nice touch.

2016...Just out of 2 year warrenty, Battery failed (would not keep a charge at 100%; would jump to 50% the minute I turned it on).
Sent to same service shop. Was told 50% of cells had failed. No apparent reason for that...just happens to batteries at times. When I complained that a $600 battery should last more than 2 years, they offered 50% off a new battery. Made the deal for 50% off on their current model battery (used on the 403 I think)...so for $300 I accepted the replacement.

2019...Throttle failed again. No repair offered. This time it would not easily turn on (had to press the power button for 40 seconds on so & jiggle it around a lot). Once it did turn on, couldn't turn it off with the power button (had to disconnect from power). Then it would not turn on again. Did all kinds of troubleshooting with cables & connections, but they were not the issue. Contacted the service shop again who advised that the unit was not repairable, but gave a helpful hint of disassembling the unit & using WD40 on the internal switch assembly & instructions on how to do so. Didn't help so I ended up buying a new throttle off the internet.