Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just bought a 2019 outback. Had the 5 channel yak power installed and purchased a nocqua battery at same time.

Got yak home, wired in battery, plugged it in and it blew the control box and battery. After this the battery did not charge. Lights on battery charger were also acting funny after it happened.

Went back and swapped out new battery and control box, got home, everything worked as intended.

But, when the wife got home, I wanted to show her the light because I couldn't before because box was bad. I went to plug in battery and the control box blew again :(

What's the likelihood that I get 2 bad batteries? Is this a known issue with yak power? The second battery seems to still charge. I plugged it directly into my finder and let it run all day. It started at 12.6 volts and when I last checked it was down to 10.7 volts, ran for about 11hrs.

Any advice would help.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Man that's not good. Sounds to me like you have a direct short. I'd take it back to whomever did the install and let them figure out what is happening. Could be an issue with the yak power system or the way it was installed. If the battery worked fine on your depth finder I doubt it's the battery.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

FYI

Nocqua batteries are having alot of issues with their chargers. I have a replacement charger and battery on the way

My battery drains pretty fast and cuts out at 9volts. My finder will run below 9volts as well as my led lights.

Not sure about quality at this point. Customer service has been great.

The instructions are terrible, not an issue for me but I can see people connecting battery wrong. While there is a notch and arrows. They are so small and nothing is referenced in the instructions to look for these, a person could potentially try to connect and simply rocking connection back and forth to find the notch can short the battery and/or charger

The dealer who I started this with said the metal vonnectors can still make contact if you happen to connect the wrong way. The metal leads should have have one longer and one shorter to prevent this from happening.

Kind of makes me second guess the dakota lithium I was gonna get

Edit: just got tracking from nocqua. I'll have my replacement tomorrow. I am pleased with the turnaround and like I said. Customer service was great when I spoke to them. They maybe short staffed or something so I guess if you haven't heard from them via email. Call them up. Melissa helped me and she was great.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How did you resolve this issue with your kayak? I have been chasing a similar problem for a few months.
Did replacement battery fix the issue?