Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The wings were modified on my boat to attach to beams and gunwale. What are these two holes in the aide of hull? I see them on other 21’s so so guess it’s from factory. I assume the lower is a drain but the upper I’m not sure, mine is threaded for the wing attachment but not sure if that is a factory thread to maybe hold beams in?

Are the washers on taper pins supposed tonfill gap between nut and crossbar? I assume over the years the hole has opened up and pin has gone in farther. Not too concerned since connection feels solid.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

The lower hole is a drain. I believe the upper was for additional strength for the sleeve for the forward beam. I think to help keep it from spinning.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Daredevil,

Check out the FAQ page here-original manual and parts diagram. And, yes the washers are supposed to fill in the gap. But, yeah- the holes have opened up over the years allowing the taper pins to bottom out. I'm almost finished fixing up mine and learned a ton from these pages. Not a lot out there on these boats.

I'm guessing the previous owner decided not to repair the wing sockets that are notorious for cracking and leaking. Easier to fix than i thought. Your previous owner then welded the bracket on the hull sleeves for the wings. Also looks like he reinforced or repaired where the wing bolts into the hull.

For the sleeves, IF you try to fix the taper pin fit, you might be just as well to take one to a machine shop and heve them make you 4, with a larger diameter. Won't be cheap, but easier than filling and redrilling the sleeves...maybe.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie offered oversized pins at one time to help solve problem.

You may simply be able to add more plastic washer or build some sort of sleeve to fill in that space. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Seems that Matt has been pretty forthcoming with drawings for the old/discontinued boats. Maybe you could request a copy of the drawing for the oversized pins. That would at least give you something to take to a machine shop. It won’t be cheap, but at least you wouldn’t be reinventing the wheel.

sm

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:00 am 
Site Admin

I believe this is the original pin dimensions.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

People must have been tightening the tapered pins too much. They are stainless steel, in aluminum holes.

My boat still has the original, smaller pins, and there is plenty of length left. I've never tightened the nuts with anything but my hands. Tramp cord goes around crossbar, and doesn't rely on the bolts-only has the tail through for a keeper.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Alright, now how many manufacturers/reps will go to the trouble to dig out 32 year old CAD drawings and post them regarding a long, long out of production boat?

That's stinking awesome.

As for machine shops-there is another option. Someplace like cnczone dot com has forums where individuals take small work and turn it on their home, CNC large or mill. Don't know how that works out, but with low overhead, its got to be cheaper than a shop.

Mine haven't opened up the sleeve holes much either, but were kind of a bugger to get out for the first time due to corrosion, albeit light and easy to clean off.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Uh, BTW, you can buy the taper pins, but without the threads and cross dropped hole...in 18-8 stainless. Only, all I could find is the standard size. Industrial supply houses.