Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mirage Passport
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The only real downside to the Thermoformed plastic is that it isn't going to be as durable as the rotomolded polyethelyne. If you fish shallow, rocky rivers and need to hump and bump over jagged rocks and whatnot - it's probably not the best choice.

Conversely, the upside is lighter weight and lower price. I suspect it will be very well received by most.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Kirkman wrote:
The only real downside to the Thermoformed plastic is that it isn't going to be as durable as the rotomolded polyethelyne. If you fish shallow, rocky rivers and need to hump and bump over jagged rocks and whatnot - it's probably not the best choice.

Conversely, the upside is lighter weight and lower price. I suspect it will be very well received by most.

I definitely agree. I had read about Thermoformed plastic and that is what I gathered, but nice to hear someone confirming it.
Yep, I think it's a great move by Hobie to put the mirage drive in an entry level kayak. I mean some of these fishing yaks I see are incredibly awesome, accessorized to the hilt but I think there are a lot of folks, (myself included), who don't really fish a lot and maybe only take their boats out a handful of times a year.
Without going terribly cheaply, say on the level of an Old Town Loon, or Next or similar, for just a couple hundred more I can get a far superior mirage drive, AND be able to get a fun sailing rig. I think Hobie is kind of opening up the market to the more casual user, people who might not have a couple grand+, but still want something decent.
And yeah, as someone else mentioned, teaming up with REI is a great call too! They are definitely known for selling good quality stuff ... good move.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
The only real downside to the Thermoformed plastic is that it isn't going to be as durable as the rotomolded polyethelyne.

This is Thermoformed Polyethylene sheets, so similar abrasion wear. Seems really stiff too. Same repair process (Welding) if needed. We added the keel guard to limit the wear factor too.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

They are coming to Phoenix tomorrow... yay..I hope the heck I like them and they are shipped well... you know...stuff like that

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Only one color for both boats... sigh...

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:16 am 
Site Admin

Trying to fill the pipeline... short on the other color here. Sorry! More coming.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:12 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

daft wrote:
vereinig wrote:
Oddly the drive seems to lack 2015 era Glide Technology bearings, for which you can buy a kit. Also you can buy the extended turbo fins.
I don't understand what's so odd about that. If you're buying a boat for $1000 less, you're probably not going to have so many frills. The boat comes with what looks like a V-2 Drive and ST fins. These were the latest, greatest Drives not so many years ago, and have been proven to be reliable and sturdy. If you want more performance, you can buy it -- that's part of that $1000 savings. If you have another Mirage Drive you can use that instead.

I paid $1100 + tax for my first Hobie (Classic) 19 years ago. It didn't have a lot of bells and whistles either. The Passport is superior in so many ways for almost the same price a generation later. It's one heck of a bargain! Unfortunately, the price doesn't include sail or wind.

BTW, about that drivewell insert -- Hobie actually came out with this in 2007 (pictured below). Sometimes it's all about having the appropriate application. :wink:

Last edited by Roadrunner on Thu May 09, 2019 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Will the hatch accept the large gear bucket?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My 2 boats all ready for me...

The crew at LowerGear in Tempe...

Dallas and I sealing the deal

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice Boats Kramster! I can't believe you can get them both in the SUV, I guess that's part of the stackable hulls.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wanted to see if it would work with the stacking... don't stack tight though.. had to really secure them... buying a truck again in the next day or so ... so that will be handier.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great shots. I love that one with two in an SUV.

Looking forward to hearing your experience with them. I'm considering a pair, but wonder about the short length.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:50 am 
Site Admin

GT is a bit less durable and it is more expensive to build, so being very cost sensitive on the Passport we went with bullet proof and cost. Everything about the Passport is simple and less complicated.

Fish guys are loving the 180 as they can hold position and maneuver easily. They can back away from obstacles while reeling in fish. It really is a nice feature for many. Not everyone needs it though. My bike doesn't have reverse either.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm really happy to see Hobie take this philosophy on these boats. These seem the perfect boats to take to the lake (or river or wherever) and let the kids beat around on them. Not meaning to exclude myself, mind you!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I understand BIC is manufacturing and building these boats in France. Personally I don't think I would enjoy it, but I'm sure there is a good market for it and it will compete nicely with the Pelican version.

From BIC website:

https://www.bicsport.com/kayak-bilbao-bleu.html

TST - TWIN SHEET TECHNOLOGY
The exclusive Twin Sheet technology used in the construction of BIC Sport kayaks is acheived by using thermoformed Polyethylene sheets. The deck and hull sections are formed and sealed together in one single operation. The result of this fusion is incredibly durable, unique in kayak manufacture. The join line is invisible and 100% secure. This process, creating a product that is lighter, stronger and smoother finished than rotomoulding, is also anti-UV treated. Highly resistant to knocks and scratching, it gives all BIC Sport kayaks exceptional durability.

Technology rigid kayak tst by bic sport
7 mm Polyethylene skin anti UV treated: Strong and Durable, highly resistant to knocks and scratches.

1- Deck and hull sheet thermoformed in one single operation : Fusion of hull and deck sheets into one complete kayak, with maximum strength along the rail.

2- Deck and hull sheet thermoformed in an aluminium mould : Precision manufacturing for a quality shape giving maximum glide and performance

3- Front and Rear bumpers (replaceable): Protect the kayak against abrasion and wear and tear.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next