Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I appreciate all of the innovation people have put into designing and building their own motor mounts, and sharing those designs with the community at large. That said, most of what I've seen is overkill for my needs, and I don't like the idea of adding more stuff to the stern of the boat, which is already pretty busy with the twin rudders and the mainsheet traveler. CadKing had mentioned a bow mount trolling motor on the front spreader in another thread, and this piqued my interest. I contacted him via email, and he was kind enough to share some pictures with me.

Tonight I completed a rough 1.0 design of my own. It uses two U bolts and some wood to attach a bow mount trolling motor to the front spreader. I went with a NewPort Vessels 46. Their trolling motors can be easily reconfigured from transom mount to bow mount, where Minn Kota charges a premium for their bow mount trolling motors. The motor is also salt water resistant, where again, Minn Kota charges extra for this feature. I was able to source the motor on Amazon for about $165, and it took me about 20 minutes to switch over to bow mount operation. The manufacturer claims a 75 minute runtime from a 50AH battery, which breaks down to 1.5 minutes per amp hour. With this in mind, I bought a Duracell 14AH AGM battery at Batteries Plus, which should give me about 20 minutes of auxilary power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been working on a few designs in my head over the winter. Want to do something soon. I was thinking as well why don't anyone mount the motor on the front? Didn't want to ask the dumb question. Don't need the long arm. The kids & I like to capsize a lot so I need something that has decent side load strength, Sorta speaking. Could be a little tricky with a gas motor. Steve C.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Steve C wrote:
I have been working on a few designs in my head over the winter. Want to do something soon. I was thinking as well why don't anyone mount the motor on the front? Didn't want to ask the dumb question. Don't need the long arm. The kids & I like to capsize a lot so I need something that has decent side load strength, Sorta speaking. Could be a little tricky with a gas motor. Steve C.

I just needed something for launching and retrieval, when wind conditions aren't optimal to sail right off the dock or beach. I ended up using the motor a total of probably 5 minutes today, but it saved a LOT of frustration from trying to launch into a headwind, or tack a couple of extra times to make it to the dock.
I do need to move it a little more toward the starboard side of the spreader, as it interferes slightly with the bridle and jib in the current location. This was version 1.0. I will be making a new one based on this one, and relocating it slightly. So far, the design has proven itself though.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This weekend, I took what I learned, and created a beta version of the mount, using a piece of pressure treated 2x6, some longer U-bolts, and a can of black Plastidip.
Also shown is the 14AH AGM battery in the ammo can.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here it is installed on the front spreader:

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

KBlake wrote:

What size are the c clamps? 2" x 5" I am guessing.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

larryhts wrote:
KBlake wrote:

What size are the c clamps? 2" x 5" I am guessing.

Yup, 2"x 5".

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ken thanks for the fast reply.

Last edited by larryhts on Tue May 21, 2019 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cool! How have you dealt with the rudders/steering in back but motor in front, without two people?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

hairy.side.up wrote:
Cool! How have you dealt with the rudders/steering in back but motor in front, without two people?

I always have at least 1 passenger or crew. In a pinch, I could run back and forth, especially at the lower speed settings.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hairy.side.up wrote:

I thought about your question for awhile, and it wouldn't be too hard to rig an interrupt/momentary switch between the negative connection from the battery, and the negative connection TO the motor. You'd want to use some heavy duty primary wire for a long run like that, or if you understand basic electronics, it would be pretty easy to build a low power circuit, using a switch and alkaline battery to control a relay, which would switch ground to the trolling motor. There is plenty of room in the ammo can for a relay.

Either way, that would let you switch the motor on and off from the rear of the boat.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KBlake wrote:
hairy.side.up wrote:

I thought about your question for awhile, and it wouldn't be too hard to rig an interrupt/momentary switch between the negative connection from the battery, and the negative connection TO the motor. You'd want to use some heavy duty primary wire for a long run like that, or if you understand basic electronics, it would be pretty easy to build a low power circuit, using a switch and alkaline battery to control a relay, which would switch ground to the trolling motor. There is plenty of room in the ammo can for a relay.

Either way, that would let you switch the motor on and off from the rear of the boat.

I know they make remote speed controls. My neighbor's fishing boat has a foot pedal so he can control the front mounted troller from his position back by the outboard motor. I think he can steer it too!

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I know some of the higher end (more expensive) bow mount units have foot controls. The one I used is an inexpensive transom mount unit, that could be converted to bow mount. I don't see any foot controls available for it.
Note: I did have to remove the height adjustment collar from the shaft, in order to get the prop deep enough in the water. That gave me an extra 2" or so of usable shaft length.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My goal was to come up with a budget alternative to the $500 Cheetah mount + $1500 Torqueedo solution that seems to be the most common solution offered whenever anyone is looking for auxiliary power beyond a paddle. I have less than $250 total invested, and most of that is the trolling motor and battery.