Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks R R that is a great explanation that makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
the riddler wrote:
Why not make it where all your buyers are completely happy?

That would be awesome! ...and we do shoot to please the highest possible number of users. Every user, water condition, wind condition, use, skill, interest, comfort vary so much that it is literally impossible. Therefore... the many models that we offer. We can only keep so many options on the table before it gets really confusing. Sometimes (always) there are compromises.

Hate to bring up an old and thoroughly debated topic. What are the chances Hobie would design the Revo 13 making it about an inch to an inch and a half wider? I personally love the raised seat keeping my rear out of the water. I would love to have a Revo 13 but for me being slightly bigger at 6' 210 they are just not stable enough for me. I can't go 5 miles offshore and constantly be worried about going over. I believe there is a way to widen the kayak slightly and increase stability with the raised seat without sacrificing speed.

With offshore fishing becoming increasingly more popular there is a huge market waiting for the a fast, really stable offshore pedal kayak. Viking Kayaks makes the perfect offshore paddle kayak (at least in millions of folks mind) but it's not a pedal kayak.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can use the Sidekick - here's a page with video showing it installed on a Revo: https://www.hobie.com/accessories/sidekick-ama-kit/

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jacques thanks for the suggestion. Yeah I've seen those and aware of that option. Not for me but I'm sure they do help with stability.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am in my late 50's and nearly 200 lbs. When I decided to purchase my 2018 Rev 13 I had never been in a kayak of any kind. In fact, I had only been in a canoe once or twice with the last time being in 1972. I did not go to any stores or speak with anyone who has a Hobie kayak. I did my research and purchased the Rev 13 and had it shipped to me. I drove it to Puget Sound and put the boat in the water and climbed on board having little idea what I was doing. It seemed very unstable and I thought maybe I had chosen the wrong boat, it felt like I was going to tip over. Well that feeling lasted about 30 seconds! The boat is very stable, I can get up on my knees and get in the front hatch, reach stuff behind me, it is fine and I am very happy with the purchase. From my point of view it is hard to call this boat unstable the exception maybe being someone being very large and tall.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Katchaser thanks for the reply. I truly wish I have the agility you have but I don't. Different folks have different levels of balance and agility which is why a kayak being stable is a relative term. I do feel my agility would improve over time but I've been in a few kayaks and the only one I can stand up in is the 37" wide Pro Angler 14. The PA14 is a great boat but not something I can comfortably use offshore in the middle Texas coast. It's too hard to paddle through the surf unless I find a rare day where my schedule and 1-2 foot seas meet.

Take care.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Swfinatic wrote:
....Hate to bring up an old and thoroughly debated topic. What are the chances Hobie would design the Revo 13 making it about an inch to an inch and a half wider? ...

It is my wish too.
Aren't we actually asking for the old Outback to return to the 2018 model?
It was the Hobie hull with the best balance between primary and secondary estability.
I changed Outback every 3 years, on average, and today I don't have a kayak produced by Hobie that encourages the exchange of my 2016 Outback.

ex Outback 2014
ex Outback 2013

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Milton Quadros wrote:
Swfinatic wrote:
....Hate to bring up an old and thoroughly debated topic. What are the chances Hobie would design the Revo 13 making it about an inch to an inch and a half wider? ...

Aren't we actually asking for the old Outback to return to the 2018 model?

I'm hoping Hobie does pretty much the same thing to the Revo they did to the new Outback design- stretch it out about a foot in length and slightly wider so the increased width/stability doesn't affect the speed/quickness of the kayak.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is no such thing as a boat that offers great stability in all conditions. Most narrow sea kayaks, which most kayak fishermen would feel terribly unstable in, are far more stable in harsh, rolling conditions than most wide fishing kayaks are. "Wide" only helps on calm waters. Narrow is better on rougher, rolling waters. You can't have it both ways.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Kirkman wrote:
There is no such thing as a boat that offers great stability in all conditions. Most narrow sea kayaks, which most kayak fishermen would feel terribly unstable in, are far more stable in harsh, rolling conditions than most wide fishing kayaks are. "Wide" only helps on calm waters. Narrow is better on rougher, rolling waters. You can't have it both ways.

Correct. However there is a sweet spot between speed and stability especially when it comes to offshore fishing and IMO the Hobie Revo doesn't hit it. The world's most popular offshore kayak is not a Hobie. It is a paddle kayak. If Hobie can hit this sweet spot with a peddle kayak I believe it'd be a home run. Just my opinion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6