Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I acquired a 2011 Wave late fall last year and left it outside over the winter, unaware that the mast was full of water.
The lower mast split over the freezing winter (major bummer).
I am assuming I need to purchase a new lower mast part 38583141.

My questions:
1. The parts pdf says "serial number 1438 and newer". Where is the serial number?
2. Will the lower mast come complete to use or will I need to buy the other pieces such as the two cleats, the mast base etc?
3. Where is a good place to purchase this part (I live near Outer Banks, NC)?

Thanks

Mr.Lurker

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

Serial number location is on the transoms.

https://www.hobie.com/articles/boat-ser ... 1549564347

If the mast sits on a black ball it is newer. If the mast sets into and step casting cup... it is the older.

The lower comes with all hardware attached.

Dealers: https://www.hobie.com/dealers/?product_ ... erm=+27959

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone got a used Hobie Wave lower mast assembly (ball mount recent version) in decent condition for sale?
I am being quoted over $200 in freight shipping charges for a new one, on top of the item purchase price, which seems very high.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I spoke to a dealer and ordered my lower mast section when he was ordering his spare parts. And then waited until it came. Slow, but since he was paying for his anyway, ...

Worth a try.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was offered the same deal (cheap shipping if I waited for other items he wanted to be shipped) by my nearest hobie dealer.
In the end, I took it to a marine aluminum welder who did a very neat and clean job for $55.
He warned me that the mast would probably not be as strong as the original.
I have just returned from sailing in 10mph wind without any (mast) issues.
Time will tell.
Other mast issue:
I am going to drill a small hole down low, just above the mast base.
This will be used to drain water from the mast.
I will put a thread in the drilled hole and normally use a bolt with a flexible washer to plug the hole.
I will only remove the plug occasionally to drain the mast.
My question:
What diameter hole should I make?
Thanks. Mr. Lurker.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good for you!

My thoughts:

The mast section is strong enough for a Hobie 14 so even if it's not as strong as it used to be I defy you to try and break it. It's gonna be way too strong for you even if you have an adventure with a trailer and a low bridge.

I usually drill with 3/16", which is probably too big but it's what I have in my toolbox. 1/8" would probably be better. There's a foam plug in the mast about 10" up from the bottom of the mast extrusion. That's sealed in there to keep water out. Or to keep water in, in your case :lol:. You want to drill above that to get it to drain. I drill inside the lips of the sail track. I don't seal the hole. My reasoning is that when the boat is capsized the top half of the extrusion is out of the water because the mast is supported by the Bob.

I read about some guy who managed to invert his Wave but mine floats on it's side so the drilled hole doesn't get close to the water.

There's the same plug at the top of the extrusion to seal out water. The problem is that rain water runs down the comptip and sits on that plug. If it's not perfectly sealed, like yours, because the sealant around the edges dried out, then the water runs down inside. So you should reseal the edges of your mast plug.

Your mileage may vary.

Charles

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A great response. Thanks.
I believe my upper mast plug is no longer present.
The lower mast plug leaks. I don't know how to get at it to seal it.
I will drill a 3/8 inch hole down low in the sail track as suggested and not plug it, hoping not to turtle.
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wait! Wait! 1/8" or maybe 3/16", not 3/8"!

If you had a self threading screw laying around, like me, or a 3/16 pop rivet, you could ease your conscience by saying "I'll fill that hole in later." And then never get around to it.

Sealing the plugs is a bit of a hassle. They're too deep for the nozzle on a caulking gun. I promise myself that I'll try slipping some tubing over the nozzle and using that. But I end up just smearing some around the edges with a round ended stick. It doesn't take much. It should be already sealed, it's just leaking a bit.

You should make sure your mast is pretty well sealed, particularly if you're missing that lower plug. When the boat is rolled over any water will run down and be at the end of a 20 foot lever (the lower mast section) when you are trying to right it again.

... I didn't mention last time, but Krylon rattle can black is reputed to be the best match for hiding scars in black anodized aluminum.

Objects in the mirror may be closer than expected.