Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mirage Passport
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mantaray wrote:
I understand BIC is manufacturing and building these boats in France.

You are saying BIC builds the Hobie Passport?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That is my understanding. Or Tahe Outdoors now since they bought out BIC sports in January.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Seems the Passports are coming in from France... I am liking my 2 just fine and are keepers so far.. but what do I know, as I only have had 6 Hobies before these.... and a bunch of old school regular ole paddle by hand boats.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Glad to hear you are enjoying them Kramster!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner wrote:

I paid $1100 + tax for my first Hobie (Classic) 19 years ago. It didn't have a lot of bells and whistles either. The Passport is superior in so many ways for almost the same price a generation later. It's one heck of a bargain! Unfortunately, the price doesn't include sail or wind.

I love that picture of you sailing Roadrunner, awesome. It almost reminds me of an old sunfish or something, only so much better! I'm curious though, if you don't mind me asking, why the drive bungeed on the stern?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Prolly a spare...I have a spare usually on longer outings

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

vereinig wrote:
Glad to hear you are enjoying them Kramster!

Glad to say.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:14 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

vereinig wrote:

I love that picture of you sailing Roadrunner, awesome. It almost reminds me of an old sunfish or something, only so much better! I'm curious though, if you don't mind me asking, why the drive bungeed on the stern?
The Passport comes with ST fins and I wanted to see how it performed stock. I also brought my own Turbos to see how much difference they made. It makes a nice upgrade IMO. I'll post a review separately and get into more detail. 8)

BTW, the old Sunfish was a great flat water sailer -- it could really fly with a little wind!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, Hobie enthusiasts! You've got some great conversation on the Passport. I am new here, I just ordered my first Hobie yesterday, The Passport! Yes, the Hobie quality at this price point is why I bought it. I shipped it to the nearest REI store (90 miles) to save the over $200 shipping cost, and hope to pick it up soon (2 weeks they said). I am really looking forward to the size, the portability, and the pedal drive. I have too many hobbies to be an avid fisherman, but I want to get out in the water in those small streams, lakes, and rivers and the shores and bays of the bigger ones. Just to visit, and cast a line out once in a while as well. I hope my doodle Goldie can fit on it somewhere too. The pedal drive is exciting to me since I do not have a left hand, my arm ends at the wrist, my paw I call it, working the paddle even with mods would be not as convenient as the pedal drive for me. So I'm pumped to finally get into the sport and the little, but sweet kayak. A couple of quick noob questions. 1) Does anyone know of a strap, loop, handle or something that could be added to the paddle to accommodate my paw? 2) Besides taking it out right asap, what if anything should I do, remember to bring, or prepare myself for with this? 3) I'm looking at a putting a small Lowrance on it eventually, there is a video on a rudder mount transducer for this, recommendations on this or handheld fish finders? 4)Thanks, any other tips tricks, mods, links etc. I may like for this? Thanks for reading folks, and thanks for any answers/suggestions. I looking forward to Hobie yaking with you all soon enough, Slainte!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When did you order at REI? I was in there a few days ago (15th maybe), and they said that the Passports were supposed to be in their warehouse that day but the clerk told me that she did not see them on their inventory yet. I want to get Passport for my wife when they are finally in stock. I think those boats are going to sell well at REI.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think they will sell well too. I ordered it On the 18th online, it said expected delivery on May 31. I called the store and they said their deliveries are earlier in the week, so hopefully before then.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

frostyfrog wrote:
The pedal drive is exciting to me since I do not have a left hand, my arm ends at the wrist, my paw I call it, working the paddle even with mods would be not as convenient as the pedal drive for me. So I'm pumped to finally get into the sport and the little, but sweet kayak. A couple of quick noob questions. 1) Does anyone know of a strap, loop, handle or something that could be added to the paddle to accommodate my paw?

Do you wear a prosthetic? Get with your prosthetist and tell them what you want to do. They typically get really excited about fitting for things like this and can offer you something that works for you. You can check out the TRS hammerhead. That would work well even for typical kayaking.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you Pounce for the suggestions. I have never worn a prostetic, or plan on it. It is an option I guess, but I do pretty well as is. I'm looking for a simple strap or loop attatched to the top of the paddle of some sort.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

frostyfrog wrote:
Thank you Pounce for the suggestions. I have never worn a prostetic, or plan on it. It is an option I guess, but I do pretty well as is. I'm looking for a simple strap or loop attatched to the top of the paddle of some sort.

I have a family member that is a prosthetist which is why I know something about the options. I've seen a lot of high end custom work for professional athletes. Of course you would know best what might work for you. It would be sort of expensive to get fitted for the socket just for a single use, but it would ultimately give you the most use and flexibility. Comfort would be the primary reason to consider it. The need to pull with the arm for paddling with a two sided paddle makes a prosthetic an ideal solution.

I wouldn't imagine a prosthetic for paddling would be a lot different than having having pedal power. We are just using tools that help us enjoy the world. I have bi-lateral cubital tunnel that make paddling painful after not too long so the mirage drive is my tool to use my body to move on the water.

I've been out several times without every using a paddle so you may actually be able to get away with a single hand paddle if you want to let go of the idea of a two sided paddle.

https://www.austinkayak.com/Backwater-P ... 3761P.html

https://www.optiparts.com/optiparts-pro ... optiparts/

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks again, and for the links Pounce, I agree a prosthetic would be nice. Maybe I'll look into the option someday, yes cost is an issue as well. As for now looking for something simple, or I will adapt as always, as all us humans do. Happy Hobie yaking!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next