Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Lake Pleasant, Az. My niece Anna in from Vermont to help have at it. Very stable, seat is nice, great size, so Hobie did well. No rougher water to try but felt plenty stable with the few small wakes we could catch from power boats out in lake. First time for Anna to see and try a Hobie... loved it as expected

Customized a single jet ski trailer to make the Passports comfy. More coming on set up..

Last edited by Kramster on Tue May 14, 2019 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Started with this..

Ended up with this...

Added an extra layer of outdoor carpet so back of boat made contact in 3 places...

Front bar is under nice and solid drive thingy

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice job on that trailer and the Hobie's look like a blast!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

They ARE fun, not as fast as when I had rev 13s with Turbo fins of course. I'll prolly turbo these up soon and hopefully they have a bigger rudder as well available .... The trailer was fun to figure out and works well enough... the whole PVC frame can come off and slide into the bed of a truck..though haven't done that yet.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I took one out Sat night for a moonlight float with lights set up with about 35 other boats... a few other Hobies were there. A couple of them were giving me boat a good looking over and I think were impressed enough... a lot of newbies were kayaking and as usual wanted to know about Hobies... fun to show them ...

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm considering either the new Passport or a used Revolution 11. With your experience with the Rev 13, how much slower, roughly do you think the Passport would be? I realize it's shorter and narrower and therefore slower.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Flip the kayaks over (the deck rails are thicker and stronger than the bottoms) - and don't use ratchet straps (get a pair of cinch straps instead, they will be less likely to distort the hull) - and make sure to let off tie-down tension when they're just stored - you can really distort the hulls using that setup.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:32 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Folsom Ralph wrote:
I'm considering either the new Passport or a used Revolution 11. With your experience with the Rev 13, how much slower, roughly do you think the Passport would be? I realize it's shorter and narrower and therefore slower.
Welcome to the forum!

This is a little bit like deciding between a new Volkswagen and a used Cadillac. The Revo 11 has faster cruise and sprint speeds and moves through the water quieter than the Passport. Both boats are faster with Turbofins. The Revo 13 is faster than both. With the optional large rudder, the Revo 11 also turns better at slow speed. It has has 3 hatches instead of one, mesh pockets for additional storage, and better bottle holders. The 2015s and newer come with a Vantage seat, which is superior the Passport seat, although the older (2011 - 2014) "wet" seat gives you a slightly lower center of gravity. If you're looking for a used boat, Turbofins, large rudder, wheels (cart) included in the price are a plus. 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For crying out loud don’t listen to roadrunner he doesn’t know much about Hobie yaks. :lol:

Speaking of rudders, every new rudder I’ve ever had (6) looks like a banana to varying degrees. Now maybe it doesn’t really matter at kayak speeds but I’m partial to having a straighter rudder. What I’ve done is to clamp the rudder between two pieces of 3/16 iron or aluminum plate .
Once that’s done I just leave it out in the hot sun for awhile and that seems to do the trick. ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jbernier wrote:
Flip the kayaks over (the deck rails are thicker and stronger than the bottoms) - and don't use ratchet straps (get a pair of cinch straps instead, they will be less likely to distort the hull) - and make sure to let off tie-down tension when they're just stored - you can really distort the hulls using that setup.

I don't tight all the way... just enough so they don't slide around and add a few bungees... I always loosen them up when stored... good advice of course.

And good straighten out the banana idea above in previous response.