Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mirage Passport
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I agree with Pounce on the suggestion of a single paddle for your needs frostyfrog. Most of the time the mirage drive will be sufficient. Many times I go out and never touch the paddle, its just there for a backup. Both of the links Pounce gave look like good products. I really like the second one, looks ideal for a Hobie.

If you are into DIY perhaps some sort of cup or mitt made to fit your paw could be attached to the T-handle available from Hobie that converts the dual blade paddle into a single and enable you to use it like a canoe paddle.

The pedal drives are a great piece of kit and I predict you're gonna have a blast on your new ride. Welcome to Hobie Life!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Yankee. I'm enjoying the forum feedback for sure. Yes the pedal drive will be great, I received confirmation of shipment yesterday, I should be out in it sometime next week. Any other noobie tips or tricks please let me know. Suggestions for track mount items, such as camera or phone mount? Thanks for all for everything.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

pounce wrote:
frostyfrog wrote:
The pedal drive is exciting to me since I do not have a left hand, my arm ends at the wrist, my paw I call it, working the paddle even with mods would be not as convenient as the pedal drive for me. So I'm pumped to finally get into the sport and the little, but sweet kayak. A couple of quick noob questions. 1) Does anyone know of a strap, loop, handle or something that could be added to the paddle to accommodate my paw?

Do you wear a prosthetic? Get with your prosthetist and tell them what you want to do. They typically get really excited about fitting for things like this and can offer you something that works for you. You can check out the TRS hammerhead. That would work well even for typical kayaking.

Great suggestion Pounce! FrostyFrog, there’s a lot of great and exciting progress with custom 3D printing for prosthetics. Take a look!

https://3dprint.nih.gov/collections/prosthetics
http://enablingthefuture.org/

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks skunked, there is a lot of options like this out there for sure. I'm looking forward to getting this thing out on the water soon, and I'll go from there. I don't plan on using the paddle to often. Any other kayak tips tricks, Passport mods, etc. please throw my way. I will do the same. TIA. Yak on!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I picked my HMP up last Thursday from REI. It is what I expected, a nice manageable Hobie kayak. It's nice and wide, and just long enough for what I plan on using it for. I took it out for the madden voyage Friday. It paddles nice and smooth, I should say pedals, I was even able to get my dog in the back for a while. I recieved the bimini a couple days ago and put it in on land to see how it works, it is nice, and bigger than I expected. I hope to take it out again soon for a longer ride. Definitely some good purchases from Hobie.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:16 am 
Site Admin

frostyfrog wrote:
Definitely some good purchases from Hobie.

Awesome! :)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Glad to hear it frostyfrog, thanks for the report.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So I just picked up a Passport today from my local REI. Where on the boat do I attach the drive leash? I thought it would we the same as my Rev13 but apparently I was wrong. Just the same, what a nice boat for the money. The REI guy had never seen a mirage drive Hobie before and when I went through the check list with him he learned a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice lil excursion on Canyon Lake Arizona... A couple guys with PAs came over to check them out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am really thinking hard about a Passport. My big concern is that we go on rivers and streams a lot. How will this handle hitting the hidden rocks? I would hate to get a big hole in it the first time on the river.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’m a new member of the Hobie family; picked up a Passport a couple of weeks ago after going to a demo event. I have a CC that I don’t use as much as I would like because of work, travel, etc. I’ve wanted to get into kayak fishing, and the Passport is easy to transport on the roof of my Grand Cherokee, and came in at a price point where I could convince my wife.

My first fishing trip was in the Chesapeake Bay with a buddy who has an Outback. I have to admit, I had a little ‘drive envy’; having reverse would make fishing the bridge pilings in a current more comfortable, but I was really happy with how she handled the chop and the wind. I was even happier at the end of the day when after pedaling for a few miles, my 65lb kayak was easier to get loaded up than my buddies.

That said, I’m curious about the option for maybe upgrading the drive in the future. I’ve seen some gt to 180 conversion kits for a few hundred bucks. In theory, would I have to upgrade to GT hubs before going down that road?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I wouldn't worry about putting a hole in it. I would worry more about bending a shaft on the fins. You just need to watch your depth and and when you get shallow pull your drive or lock the fins up. I bought a Passport a couple of weeks ago for my wife and the hull is definitely tough material.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Katchaser! That makes me feel better!