Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MD-180 Drive issues
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am not one who normally comes here to complain or anything, but this has me questioning things. I bought a 2018 Outback with the MD-180 drive. Everything was going good and the kayak is great. Several months ago while having my drive serviced the kayak shop noticed the guide pins were broken and told me the spline was covered under warranty so they replaced it. A few days ago I noticed my drive has been making a lot of noise. (I flush it out after every trip and keep the drive very clean). When I took it in I showed the dealer the video and they said that it was not right and they would contact Hobie to see what the fix was. Hobie's response was since I fish shallow waters and the drive is not designed to be exposed to the grit and sand, that there was nothing I could do other then replace the drive with the older drive without reverse. When I asked what the cost would be I was told full retail, it is not under warranty due to my fishing conditions. Really???

So what are my options to resolve this? Obviously this is now my problem and I would like to try and get it fixed. I am getting no help technical or any other help from Hobie. Any suggestions?

Thanks...

Post subject: Re: MD-180 Drive issues
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That's unfortunate! I'm definitely curious to see how this turns out for you. My son is coming down this weekend and we are going kayak shopping. The Outback is at the top of my list but if that is what Hobie says about the drive that will impact my decision.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This was not exactly how Hobie responded to the dealer FYI.
We are replacing the original poster's spine under warranty – We gave the dealer some other options for the user going forward so as to try and help in the long-term (since I doubt anyone would want to have to replace their spine at the start of every season) Those ideas for him included possibly trying to go with the older drive rather than a MD180 for his specific area...since it's a simpler design that wouldn't be so adversely affected by sediment in his local fishing hole.... since he was having repeat issues – dealer was the one who pointed out that the drive gets used in marshy conditions – so knowing that we made some alternative suggestions.

It’s hard to keep a drive from wearing prematurely due to the fine sediment in the water where this kayak is being used…. I am replying to this post to give a bit more detail - as I wouldn't want other users to read this forum and think that Hobie doesn't stand behind their product.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

rc109a can you provide some detail where you fish with your Hobie?

Jacques in reading your reply sounds like marsh fishing can create some issues with the 180 drive? If I'm not hearing you correctly I apologize. Please elaborate a little on what you mean.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

We do see accelerated wear in silty waters. One guy who pedaled down the Mississippi had significantly worn his sprocket shaft and they are stainless!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jbernier wrote:
We are replacing the original poster's spine under warranty – We gave the dealer some other options for the user going forward so as to try and help in the long-term (since I doubt anyone would want to have to replace their spine at the start of every season) Those ideas for him included possibly trying to go with the older drive rather than a MD180 for his specific area...since it's a simpler design that wouldn't be so adversely affected by sediment in his local fishing hole.... since he was having repeat issues – dealer was the one who pointed out that the drive gets used in marshy conditions – so knowing that we made some alternative suggestions.

It’s hard to keep a drive from wearing prematurely due to the fine sediment in the water where this kayak is being used…. I am replying to this post to give a bit more detail - as I wouldn't want other users to read this forum and think that Hobie doesn't stand behind their product.

mmiller wrote:
We do see accelerated wear in silty waters. One guy who pedaled down the Mississippi had significantly worn his sprocket shaft and they are stainless!

Thank you both for the info.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jbernier wrote:

I know you are replacing the spline and that everything should be resolved, but you are apparently confusing what you think you know with how things really are. First off you think you know the water conditions on which I fish. The areas I fish are the bay and its tributaries. I do occasionally fish marsh areas. These areas have a visibility ranging from 1ft to 3ft. The sediment is not that high. I fish these areas once or twice a month. Most of the other areas are fast moving rivers or the bay itself. I am fishing in waters no different then the thousands of other Hobie kayakers around my area and none of them are having this issue that I am aware of. The sediment count in most of the waters is typical of other areas of the bay. If you are saying I am fishing in high concentrations of sediment, then you are obviously mistaken.

If you want me to continue with this topic of conversation, then I will. I am getting tired of you blaming the dealer for "miscommunications" I think it goes both ways. I am thankful that this issue is being resolved and hopefully I will not have to deal with it again, but I wish you would stop trying to place all the fault with ARC.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:25 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

rc109a wrote:
I am getting tired of you blaming the dealer for "miscommunications" I think it goes both ways. ... I wish you would stop trying to place all the fault with ARC.
Wow! I didn't see any "blaming" or "faulting"in this thread -- There must have been something more I missed that would be more conducive to the finger pointing. Regardless, both parties appear to be committed to getting your repairs made. Hope your issues get resolved.

IF you are experiencing accelerated wear issues (I'm not saying you are), you might want to check your chain tension. I recommend relaxing the cable tension so you can squeeze your idler cable about 1/8", your front chain/cable 1/8" and your rear chain/cable approximately 3/16", executed in the order presented. This is not necessarily Hobie's current SOP, but I've been using it for over 15 years and it has worked well. If you need further explanation, let me know. 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner wrote:
rc109a wrote:
I am getting tired of you blaming the dealer for "miscommunications" I think it goes both ways. ... I wish you would stop trying to place all the fault with ARC.
Wow! I didn't see any "blaming" or "faulting"in this thread -- There must have been something more I missed that would be more conducive to the finger pointing. Regardless, both parties appear to be committed to getting your repairs made. Hope your issues get resolved.

IF you are experiencing accelerated wear issues (I'm not saying you are), you might want to check your chain tension. I recommend relaxing the cable tension so you can squeeze your idler cable about 1/8", your front chain/cable 1/8" and your rear chain/cable approximately 3/16", executed in the order presented. This is not necessarily Hobie's current SOP, but I've been using it for over 15 years and it has worked well. If you need further explanation, let me know. 8)

Thanks for the ideas on the cables. I have heard of this previously, but knowing the way I am, I would be trying to use a caliper to determine exact deflection values and I know that would not work out very well. I know it is not an exact science, but that is just me...lol

There was more to this conversation then just on this forum and FB. Overall the situation was resolved with the help of both ARC and Jbernier (Hobie). I am very impressed with the way differences were resolved and the resolution provided. While I wish the drive was redesigned to prevent this situations as I can see this an issue with those who do fish in flats and high silt concentrations, that will be something that Hobie will need to decide upon. Maybe design the parts that would fail as a cheap replacement part instead of a complete unit swap (spline).

I am still a big Hobie supporter and that has never changed and will not as long as they stand by their products like they have done in the past.