Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: TI Carrying Capacity
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Time for a new kayak!!! ...... To address the "Carrying Capacity"

See this post: Hobie Tandem Offshore - Mr Hobie - We Need a New Kayak!

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=63495

Target EU CE Class C

700 lbs capacity
Crew 1-3 adults or 2 adults + two children

Support for up to 5 HP motor (gas or electric)

Plus all the other ideas and recommendations on the posted thread.

Love my TI....and sailing offshore!!

Its time! Please Mr. Hobie.....

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A new sticker really needs to cover this case also..

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
We don't get into every topic... but I spotted this.

CE as noted, is European standards that do not apply anywhere else. Has to do with using the product in offshore and challenging conditions... In European waterways.

This does not apply to the US or other countries. There is simply a weight capacity we recommend.

On a catamaran or other products we have made over the years, there are no "seating positions". On a Catamaran you can sit on the trampoline as you can on the Islands, so with Trampolines for sure.... you can carry more persons. Up to the maximum recommended weight capacity.

We list crew size simply as a guide for most likely use.

We determined Island capacity... with amas.

2015 AI: Capacity: 400 lbs / 181.44 kg

TI: Capacity: 600 lbs / 272 kg

I am now living in Switzerland and I visited the Hobie dealer there with big hopes - I've been waiting for years - of purchasing a Hobie Tandem Island very soon, now that I have the space and - almost - the money. My plan was to pedal and sail with my wife and small kid. Unfortunately, the dealer said that it could be risky because of the specifications on the sticker. Even though we weigh well below the maximum limit, we would still be three people. It is a real pity that Hobie doesn't specify on the sticker that, when sailing with trampolines, one child can ride on each one, for example, without surpassing the maximum weight limit. I'm afraid I will have to give up on my dream trimaran! :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

BobAgain wrote:
I'm still working on the way to post a picture from my Box a/c, but absent an epiphany, here's a link to the repaired sticker..

https://app.box.com/s/as1f4zssskmgdhwz64f6t6hjv1wqngjm

Thank you Bob. Although I usually only have one or two onboard there are times when I'll give a child or two a ride with their parents. I think I'll print this onto sticker paper and place it over the original sticker. Then I'll cover this sticker with clear contact paper to seal it and make it waterproof.

2018 Tandem Island -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

This was reviewed by engineering and legal. Has to have a specific label for EU and one for US. Engineering and sales are working on new capacity labeling. It will allow extra passengers by using "optional additional seating". This means a tramp or haka... a throw cushion in the cargo area... like that.

Should be in 2020 models I think. Saw some artwork on it today.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
This was reviewed by engineering and legal. Has to have a specific label for EU and one for US. Engineering and sales are working on new capacity labeling. It will allow extra passengers by using "optional additional seating". This means a tramp or haka... a throw cushion in the cargo area... like that.

This is great news but is there any chance that the new label can be retrofitted to pre-2020 TI's so we can finally legally use them as they were intended? I've made the sad decision to sell mine this year because I can't legally take out my family on my TI due to the existing label. Capacity ratings are strictly enforced by local marine law enforcement where I sail.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:

Hello mmiller,

I am so glad that the squeaky wheel is getting some grease ! My question is do I have to wait to purchase my TI in 2020 or if I purchase a 2019 will I be able to get a sticker that properly categorizes persons and weight for the modular kayak. Let me know ! So happy to hear we are going to finally get this problem taken care of and would be great if previous AI and TI owners could also get the proper capacity sticker.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:

Thank you very much for the heads up! Would the new capacity labeling be technically the same for the EU and the US? Would you also include new capacity labels on 2020 non-Island kayaks? If "optional additional seating" can also mean "a throw cushion in the cargo area", this could probably apply to most of the Hobie kayaks in order to bring a child, for example.

Once again, thank you for the great news.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt - this is fantastic news! I'd echo the question on whether this could possibly be retroactive? I have a 2015 that I'd love to have this option on. I'd even drive to my dealer for the retrofit.

Thanks!
-J

mmiller wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I get the feeling this couldn't be retroactive, although I hope I'm wrong. It's not just the sticker, there is also a certificate. For the European Union, I believe it is called the Declaration of Conformity. So I hope that the 2020 Tandem Island bears a sticker reflecting a higher capacity, but also that the certificate includes this new capacity. In my case, living in Switzerland, I think the dealer needs to adapt the EU certificate to Swiss standards.

Having said this, I also fear that the 2020 Tandem Island will not include the 360 Mirage drive. I really don't want to wait anymore for my dream kayak, but I would feel bad to purchase it knowing that perhaps in 2021 they could release a 360 version... :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This should be a Hobie provided "Upgrade" to past Islands. There should be no issues with Hobie shipping out replacement plaques to clarify the carrying capacity of past vessels.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That would be great indeed.

I'm a bit concerned because when you read the specs of the Tandem Island on the website, it still says "Crew: 1-2", while they already feature the kick-up fins, which I thought were for the 2020 model. I am "patiently" :D waiting to see if the capacity is updated on the label and the CE Declaration of Conformity before I purchase it. I wouldn't even consider buying it (and it would really hurt, because I've been deeply in love with the TI since it was created) if the official capacity remains the same. I don't want to run into any problems with the Swiss authorities.

As I mentioned in another thread, I also hope that Hobie takes the opportunity to update the CE "Design Category" from the current "D" (inland or sheltered coastal waters -small lakes and rivers) to a "C" (coastal waters and large bays and lakes), at least when under sail with amas. The current official capacity and design category are surprisingly limiting for a trimaran that can certainly handle more than that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sadly, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a category "C", because Hobie has no control as to the configuration of the hull set by the user. They can only certify the worst-case configuration, ie main hull only.

While commonsense tells us that prudent people would always configure the Island in the most stable to suit the conditions, there are countless legal precedents to show that commonsense is not that common...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It's a very good point. I was surprised to see that some companies do something similar. For example, I read through the specifications of the Astus 16.5 trimaran and it states: "C for 3 people, D for 5 people". Why can't the Hobie Tandem Island be "C with amas and sail, D plain hull"? That way, it would only be your responsibility to use it correctly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next