Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am thinking about selling my 2015 Hobie Pro Angler 12. Color - Dune. Lowrance Elite 5 with Ram ball mount. Anchor Trolley. Hobie Rectangular Hatch drop-in bucket. 1-H-Rail universal mounting plate. 2- H-Rail 1.5' Ram Balls. Garage stored. It's been taken care of. Fort Wayne Indiana. Can you guys help me set a price? I have no idea what it's worth now.

Thanks!

Bake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any help would be appreciated

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I bought a 2016 that was pre-owned but never been in the water. The guy bought it for his wife and she blew out her knee shortly after and never recovered enough to peddle it. Mine came with the standard stuff along with a h-rail tackle bin, drop in bucket, stand up h-bar and a rod holder (Railblaza). I paid $2200 which to me was a great deal. I drove 3 hours one way to buy it.

Hope this helps. Take care.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I always start by looking on Craigslist to see what similar kayaks are selling for. You can also check with your local store to see if they have a trade-in policy to get a low estimate of value or used kayaks for sale. If I can't find any comparable used kayaks for sale, I base my price on a local kayak company's trade-in policy for kayaks in good condition. 70% off first year, 60% second and 50% for older boats. Then I add $100 to $200 as room for negotiation. For example, if I sell my Hobie Passport next year the formula would be $1299 (purchase price) x 70% + ($100 to $200) = Asking price would be $1000 to $1100. It all depends on how quickly and/or badly you want to sell it. My prices are pretty competitive because I absolutely hate selling stuff on Craigslist.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Folsom Ralph wrote:
I always start by looking on Craigslist to see what similar kayaks are selling for. You can also check with your local store to see if they have a trade-in policy to get a low estimate of value or used kayaks for sale. If I can't find any comparable used kayaks for sale, I base my price on a local kayak company's trade-in policy for kayaks in good condition. 70% off first year, 60% second and 50% for older boats. Then I add $100 to $200 as room for negotiation. For example, if I sell my Hobie Passport next year the formula would be $1299 (purchase price) x 70% + ($100 to $200) = Asking price would be $1000 to $1100. It all depends on how quickly and/or badly you want to sell it. My prices are pretty competitive because I absolutely hate selling stuff on Craigslist.

Good points. The used kayak market at least in my area is not good right now. With all of the new lower priced options along with being able to finance new kayaks it's definitely a buyers market. The Craigslist market may vary some from one region to another. For the central Texas area the majority of the kayaks listed for sale on Craigslist are really overpriced. I think most folks look at what others are "asking" and go with that price when it reality they usually sale for a lot less. There are a number of PA14's listed at $3500 and up that don't move. There's also currently both a 2017 & a 2018 Pro Angler 14 (both in camo color) listed for $3100 & $3200 on CL and haven't moved in over a month. I would think those are fair priced kayaks but they're not moving. On CL you also will get a lot of lowball offers which are basically half of what you're asking. Like said above selling on CL isn't fun.

I'm not on Facebook but I hear there are local kayak groups in your area and that's the best place to sell. Your local kayak or fishing forum is also a good place to list it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Forget about trading it in. They will probably offer 1/2 of its worth.
Example... I wanted to trade in a 2014 PA12 on a new one and their
trade offer was $1000 dollars.