Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone. So as a kid, I had the opportunity to sail a Hobie 14 a few times, and fell in love with it. I have always wanted a sailboat, but my sailing experience has been limited to that summer and Boy Scouts (more than a few years ago). I recently saw an offer I couldn't pass up, and am now the proud owner of a 1982 Hobie 16. The boat, after cleaned up, is in pretty good shape. The sails appear to be in really good shape too. The trailer needs some work, but I can handle that easily enough. I have been watching a lot of videos and reading articles and threads on the Hobie 16, looking for knowledge and answers to my questions. I have also looked around Columbus, OH for sailing clubs that might help me with a Hobie 16. So far no luck. I think I have a lot of things figured out, but still need some help answering what are probably basic questions.

-My first big question is about the shrouds that go from the mast to the sides of the hulls. The boat came with the original shrouds, and a set of new coated shrouds. One of the original ones is broken. But anyhow, it seems that the new shrouds are shorter than the original ones by about 4 inches. Has anyone else seen this? It says Hobie 16 on the tag. I have not tried to use them yet, since I am waiting on a new mast step hinge and mast bushings. What is a good, simple way of making them work if they are too short?

-I can't figure out how to post pictures, but I have a question on a part on my boat. It is in place of the chain block that attaches to the bridle at the bow and then has a shroud that goes up to the mast, and supports the jib. ( I really hope I'm making some sense, this is new lingo for me). It is black and round, and the shrouds and bridle all attach to it. But it seems to have a line that spools up in it, I'm not sure though. It looks to be about the size of a weed eater head. Anyone know what this is and how to use it???

-Last question I have is a simple one, but I want to be sure before screwing it up. One of the cleats on the side of the mast is broken, and I would like to replace it. I pulled a bit of silicone out of the bolt hole, and it does not appear to be a bolt or screw, so I am assuming it is riveted? Are these just pop rivets that I can drill out, remove the old cleat, and pop rivet the new one on?

I hope to have this boat set up and in the water the first week of June. Any info or advice you have I am all ears! If I can figure out how to post pictures I can post them of the black part I'm talking about, and will post pics of my new boat! Thanks for reading and fair winds to you all!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The black thing on your bridle is a jib furler not all hobies have them. The jib will lack battens and be a different cut. Drill out the rivets and replace with new ones. I had to do it for the horn cleats and now I'm due for a new cheek block. Lastly to your firstly are the shrouds. You probably have 95MY+ shrouds which were shorter to accommodate more rake. You need to get 70-94 length shrouds since your mast base won't work with those shrouds.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Come up to Michigan to sail! We have a very active H16 fleet now. cramsailing.com

The roller jib sounds great for recreational sailing, but the H16 is difficult to sail without the jib. It changes the balance of the boat. On the plus side, you can get used jibs for cheap and I think it is easy to swap back and forth.

The later years shrouds are shorter, and there was a minor change to the mast base to accommodate more mast rake, but I have a '79 boat and get lots of mast rake without issue. I have a longer chainplate at the bottom of the jib to allow lowering the shrouds.

Our H16 group is great and loves to help. We will get you on the water and going. If you want to pair up with one of us to learn, that is also an option.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys for the info! It is definitely a roller furler that I have for the front. Trying to decide now if I am going to leave it in place, or remove it and store it for future possible use. As for the shrouds, I put them on and attempted to raise the mast... it does go up, but I didn't have the forestay attached, so I'm not positive they will work, but I think they will. If they do not, I think I am going to get the tools and the parts, and make my own. To me that sounds like fun. Haha

So my next item to figure out is the forestay/roller furling/bridle rigging. Right now it is not very user friendly for taking up and down every time I go to the lake. The bridle attaches to each hull with a bolt, and then attached to the roller furling on either side. Right off the roller furling top the forestay attaches with a shackle. At the top of the forestay is a 10 hole chain block , and then a 4 inch extension of wire rope that the attaches to the mast shackle. Any idea if I would be ok to move that chain block to the roller furler instead of the top?

ASDASC I might have to try to take you up on that sometime! I think it'd be about a 4 hour drive. I think my wife might kill me though. Haha!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We all deal with the wife situation, until you get her talked into crewing! We already have 7 H16's registered for Michigan City June 21-23 and will likely have a dozen or more. It's great fun.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Also, I haven't worked with a roller furler before. Normally, the bridles stay in place with the chain plate. When dropping the mast we just disconnect the forestay from the chain plate and leave the other end attached to the mast.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ffmedicguy
I sailed a H16 for about 10 years and currently sail a Gateway. I live in Cincinnati so I am not that far away. Let me know if you still have questions or need help.
mjb