Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I hope all you guys are getting some sailing in.
Took my 16 out today. The wind report on the wind map site was saying 4 gusts to 7, the sun was out for the first time in what felt like weeks and it was ~ 72f so I said screw everything I am going sailing! I was given a Garmin etrex waterproof gps and I was dying to see if it would work on the sailboat. I can tell you it is great to actually be able to see if tighter or looser on the sail would get you going faster and allowed me to feel and see on the gps what really was the better placement for everything.
I hit 15.3 mph today and I THINK I saw 15.7 but you are pretty busy paying attention to everything else to spend much more than a glance at the gps. I will be making a holder on either the mast or boom so I don't have to keep flipping it over to see it. Mine has a lanyard I tied to my pfd.

I was pooped after 3 hours of shore to shore wfo runs across the lake! I am pretty sure I flew it a few times today but I was more concerned with keeping it hull side down to worry about that!

There was a mono hull out for a while today and I think they left in shame as I only saw them for a short time. I was going across and back before they crossed the lake once. :D

84 14T Redline #67 Blue Hawaii faded but still working!
82 Yellow hull16 '81 Boomer nationals 20.9 on GPS
83 White hull 16 No sails "Clean and Purty Now!"
87 White hull no sails no tramp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My 25yoa daughter and I took my Wave out this afternoon for about three hours. The wind was 8-10mph when we launched but due to an approaching rain storm quickly increased to 17mph gusting to 21mph for over 2 hours. We hit 13.5 according to my etrex. I made my daughter look because I couldn't afford/afraid to look away with the three foot swells coming broadside to us. I would use the speed to run down the back side of the waves and then fall off and accelerate as the next swell approached and then when it picked us up run down the back side and repeat. The fastest parts were either in the troughs of the wave or running down the back of them. I have made 13.5mph before but not with a 135lb passenger and myself at 220lb. We always have waves when we get wind in the Gulf of Mexico.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Another FAST night! I left the house thinking it was going to be a lame sailing night but Hey a lame night sailing is WAY better than a crappy day of work!
I get to the lake and notice ~ a 16' monohull sailing, COOL another sailboat to share the lake with. Wind was blowing from the ramp so easy to get out to the rest of the lake where there is always more wind than at the ramp. I get going and keep glancing at my etrex gps. There are 3 places on this lake where the wind almost always is stronger than the rest of the lake. Sure enough I find myself grinning ear to ear and sitting out on the crossbar. On this one run I notice the wind had changed from my starboard right to full astern. Instantly I feel like a jet blast hit my sail and I launch. I let some sail out and turn straight downwind and I am FLYING! I look at the gps and I see 18.5 wow! I am nearing shore and decide sailing across someones back yard is probably not cool so I tack and head back on the opposite tack and fly away again. I probably did those 2 tacks about 10 times each way before I realize I am getting tired and better head back before I do something stupid and end up in the lake with no energy to flip the boat back over. Head back to the ramp and just sit there for a minute relishing the feeling. There were about 5 powerboats just drifting and watching me fly around them. I kept going by the mono hull till he went to a different part of the lake to sail alone.

WHAT A NIGHT!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fantastic!!! Sounds like you are having all kinds of fun!!! My 16 is sitting on the trailer at our place at the lake right now but I plan to get her wet in a couple of weeks when I have a week off from work, can’t wait to be sailing again and I really hope the wind cooperates.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Went out again last night, The wind wasn't as fast but I still managed a 13.6mph run. It was actually nice to have a leisurely night! I was cruising along comfortably, checked the gps and I was going 10mph and that felt like snailing lol. For fun I made it a point to sail around the entire shoreline of the lake. It is interesting how at different places of the lake the wind direction can be totally different and a different speed!

Actually had time to look at the tell-tales last night and play with different sail settings vs the gps and how it felt, to learn what works best vs the wind direction.

I am loving sailing. It gives me a recharge after a long day

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

perfect. we had some real good wind with some really good gusts in southern utah yesterday. with about 550 lbs on it we werent moving quick but was still very entertained.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Another exciting night on the 16. The wind map said 5-8 with gusts to 20. First run across the lake and back I was almost ready to pack it in. The gust were so severe and switchy there was more than once on that first run I thought I was going over but was able to save it. Against my better judgement I decided I was going to do it again. I made it all the way across the lake, started my turn and literally just as the bow came straight to the wind a huge gust from a different direction hits. I drop the mainsheet and the boat starts going over still. I wasn't able to reach the jib to uncleat that and I don't know if that would have even saved it as the wind probably had a hold of the tramp at that point.
Well,I have discovered that a 230# guy is not able to right a 16 solo! Luckily there were a couple helpful boaters nearby to help. All I needed was the tip of the mast lifted a bit and it came right back over. I realized I didn't have my righting lines loose enough to get the line any further than just over the side of the hull so that will have to be fixed.
So I am thinking I need a baby bob and I don't know if there is anything else that allows one person to ACTUALLY be able to right a 16. Anyone have anything they know works?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Did the boat do a wheelie.....start coming straight over backwards at the beginning of the capsize? If so, it was likely the combination of the backwinded jib plus your weight so far aft (as you were flipping the stick, etc.) that did ya' in. That get's things started, then the wind on the tramp makes it worse. Not uncommon in big wind/gusts.

Lots of posts here about backwinding the jib during a tack to get the bows to come across, but it's really not necessary (refer to Rick White's book and videos)…..it's sort of a crutch to make up for bad technique. It unnecessarily slows the boat down (bad bad for racing) or worse. Especially in heavy air/gusts, you really need to cut the jib before it's backwinded (and even more difficullt to uncleat).

A Baby Bob will help keep the boat from going turtle, but does not help the righting moment. Adding that weight to the top of the mast actually increases the righting moment (makes things worse in that regard). You're big enough that a (relatively) small righting bag thrown over your shoulder oughta do the trick. At about 185, I use the big Murray's one with the tackle to help raise/control it, but I expect that would be overkill for you. It's a PITA, but it works, and it's a big confidence builder knowing you can right solo in any conditions.....there won't always be someone else there to help!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The boat didn't do a wheelie, It just literally stopped and the wind changed direction right then. It actually tipped forward. Then I am pretty sure the tramp became the sail as I back crawled up the tramp . I was sitting on the rear crossbar and then it went over sideways. Auntie Em! We're not in Kansas any more! It really felt like the wind was swirling.
I actually was not at the stern until it started raising. I usually am a bit forward when I tack to balance the boat during the turn.

I am thinking of the baby bob as the lake I sail in is shallow and this is not the first time I dredged the bottom. The first time I was on my 14 and even that mast dredged. Granted both times the wind was ripping but still.

Thanks for the thought on the righting bag, I will probably get one. I have sailed a few times this year before anyone else had their boats on the lake and I was extra careful then not knowing if I could right it alone. It didn't help I couldn't get the right leverage with my righting line either.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The shore effect can produce some weird wind patterns in lake sailing. Think of a large structure like a two story house on the shore. Wind will go around both ends of the house, as well as over the top. Then the wind comes together, from three different directions at once. Now think about that wind making a sudden 45 degree shift before it hits the house. You can get either the massive stop/bow down, or the equally popular wheelie/bow up. Forces on the top of the mast can be different then at water level.

It's all part of the fun, even though I've wondered sometimes whether I was going to break things in the process.

Baby bob is not helpful in righting. I have one but that's because I mainly sail in less than 20 feet of water. I've put the stick in the mud once (not on a Hobie) and it's an experience I can do without repeating.

I use shroud extenders for solo righting. I need to do some experimenting to figure out how to maximize the recovery process. One thing I've discovered is that after the boat is upright, you've got to put slack into the jib halyard to refasten the shrouds to where they should be.

One advantage of lake sailing is that you know, sooner or later, you'll drift ashore. Time will vary with wind and current.

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Totally understand the concerns about getting the stick stuck. Our local reservoir often has shifty, gusty winds and is relatively shallow with a mucky bottom as well. I put a Baby Bob on my daughter's H14T for the same reasons. (She was too small to solo right at the time, and the 14 seems more prone to go turtle than the 16.)

Regarding the righting line, some strategically placed knots will help increase grip for holding on and climbing the line as the boat comes up. I also have a stopper knot lower down the line for my trap harness to hook (located so that I'm just above the water). That way I'm not using arm strength to hold myself up, and my arms are free to deal with the bag if I'm using it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good example of shore effect sailing -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... AU51-VbYIg

It's nice to see even the professionals having problems with this.

Jim Clark-Dawe